Cruise Critic Community
ChevyCruiser

Welcome to Tightwad Cruising - What Do You Do?

Posted (edited)

Disregard.

Edited by operabob
Deleted my reference.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, Semi Retired said:

I frequent groupon and living social (the latter will have free tickets too ) use viator also for my discounted excursions.

The local chamber of commerce or tourism bureau may also post discounts on their websites.  The tourism bureau will frequently have information about special events on their website. 

2 hours ago, kruzns4me said:

is it a TA with the line or independent?

Independent.  I would never book with a cruise line agent.  They do not have any incentive to help you.

7 hours ago, kruzns4me said:

agreed - wish the teen girls did the same!

Making my kids schlep their own bags was a painful (but necessary) way to convert them to packing light and one-bag travel, even as teenagers. Like, you can take the four pairs of shoes, but how much do they weigh

17 hours ago, kruzns4me said:

what online TA's do you get emails from?

Well per CC rules I cannot divulge here. 

But truly, google online TAs & you will see who I check out--get on their mailing lists! 

Plus each cruise line.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:02 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

Making my kids schlep their own bags was a painful (but necessary) way to convert them to packing light and one-bag travel, even as teenagers. Like, you can take the four pairs of shoes, but how much do they weigh

When  travel with my grandchildren, they have to carry their bag and mine too.  (I don't take them until they are 12-13 and old enough to pack, cut up their own food, and take care of their own personal hygiene)

3 hours ago, grandmaR said:

When  travel with my grandchildren, they have to carry their bag and mine too.  (I don't take them until they are 12-13 and old enough to pack, cut up their own food, and take care of their own personal hygiene)

This is wise... 🙂 My oldest is just 13 and I'd really love to have a personal sherpa on our next trip. Although, he's been traveling for so long that he's probably too spoiled (and too clever... he'd just spit my "You packed it, you carry it!" mantra back at me!)

On 5/1/2019 at 6:29 PM, grandmaR said:

Independent.  I would never book with a cruise line agent.  They do not have any incentive to help you.

Occasionally we have been offered the best  deals directly from cruise line for segments (ocean and river)  immediately pre/post cruise dates. 

If you can get that from a cruise company agent, you can probably do as well or better from a good independent agent.

Discussed how prices offered elsewhere seemed vastly different from direct booking with an agent, especially when I click on last minute pricing and it takes me to a higher price.

She responded:

1. The come on price is most likely "Live Pricing" (best price at an independent at the moment).

2. Company agents are restricted by what they can display online but if I see a better price to call her directly as they usually have better offers they can't advertise openly.

Posted (edited)

Would have been fun to join in, but then the first line on the op had to be political:

Not because the economy is "weak" or gas prices have "skyrocketed" - most of which has been conjured up by the left-wing media - ...”  

The question didn’t need that part little barb thrown in, this isn’t a political forum (as much as some people can’t stop thinking or talking about it, this honestly isn’t the place for it). Couldn’t we just talk cruising without starting out by tossing our insults or slurs? I guess not.

Edited by 2Beeze

On 6/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, 2Beeze said:

Would have been fun to join in, but then the first line on the op had to be political:

Not because the economy is "weak" or gas prices have "skyrocketed" - most of which has been conjured up by the left-wing media - ...”  

The question didn’t need that part little barb thrown in, this isn’t a political forum (as much as some people can’t stop thinking or talking about it, this honestly isn’t the place for it). Couldn’t we just talk cruising without starting out by tossing our insults or slurs? I guess not.

Look at the date of the original post and you may recall the doom and gloom of ALL of the media at the time. Regardless of the OP's opening, I have found this to be one of the most valuable threads on CC.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:06 PM, WAMarathoner said:

We fly separately. It started when the kids were young and was a "just in case" measure. Now, with baggage fees, I fly the cheapo airline that doesn't let you carry bags. dh flies Southwest and carries my luggage with his. No baggage charges. Sometimes he'll mystery shop the flight and get half his fare refunded in exchange for a one-hour report. More money to spend on the things that matter. Plus, I'm not very fun to fly with (fidgit-er) so it works out.

This is an awesome idea - who would have thought? 

On 3/25/2018 at 9:06 PM, WAMarathoner said:

We fly separately. It started when the kids were young and was a "just in case" measure. Now, with baggage fees, I fly the cheapo airline that doesn't let you carry bags. dh flies Southwest and carries my luggage with his. No baggage charges. Sometimes he'll mystery shop the flight and get half his fare refunded in exchange for a one-hour report. More money to spend on the things that matter. Plus, I'm not very fun to fly with (fidgit-er) so it works out.

What does it mean to mystery shop a flight? 

On 6/2/2008 at 8:25 AM, cv322 said:

What a joke.

Care to share with the group?

5 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Care to share with the group?

That post was over 10 years ago. I don't think you'll get a response.