Jump to content

Welcome to Tightwad Cruising - What Do You Do?


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, grandmaR said:

That cemented my mom's antipathy to flying.  She said it was like a bus ride without the scenery. 

 

For many years, this was my Mother's thoughts about flying.  "My legs aren't long enough to touch the ground."  I was able to change her mind.  She had long wanted to visit Hawaii and she enjoyed cruising.  Wanting to thank her for all that she had done for me, I found a  Hawaii cruise RT from Los Angeles, visiting all of the major islands, and returning to San Francisco and Los Angeles.  The "fly in the ointment" was that we would have to fly to Los Angeles and fly home for the trip to fit in my my vacation time period.  After a few discussions over a period of days, she agreed to do it.  Hoping to make the flights the best that they could be since these would be her first two flights, I booked First Class.  A TWA L-1011 to Los Angeles and an United DC-10 back; the flights were all that I hoped they would be.  We flew over the Grand Canyon with almost no clouds below us.  Approaching LAX, as we flew over the desert, there was a thunderstorm below us.  Scenic?  Absolutely!  I have wondered if the plane's cleaners ever got my Mother's nose print off that window!  After that, if we had to fly somewhere for a trip, there was no issue in doing so.  

 

Sometimes, being a "tightwad" as to how one travels has an impact on the enjoyment of the trip.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

We shop internationally for travel products.  We find that on occasion prices on non North American sites for cruises, AI's, accommodation, and occasionally air can be less expensive for the identical travel product.

 

Over the years we have booked a cruise through the RCI Sydney call center, booked with Aerolineas by calling their call center in BA, and most recently booking two Mexico AI stays  resorts through a UK travel agent.  We have had the same experience from time to time with accommodation in a number of countries.

 

We don't book for a small saving but sometimes it has been as much as 30 percent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We shop internationally for travel products.  We find that on occasion prices on non North American sites for cruises, AI's, accommodation, and occasionally air can be less expensive for the identical travel product.

 

Over the years we have booked a cruise through the RCI Sydney call center, booked with Aerolineas by calling their call center in BA, and most recently booking two Mexico AI stays  resorts through a UK travel agent.  We have had the same experience from time to time with accommodation in a number of countries.

 

We don't book for a small saving but sometimes it has been as much as 30 percent.

One thing though...you need to be aware of the T's and C's.   Cancellation poliicies, etc.  Most of our out of country travel are late bookings....completed while we are in the midst of an independent land trip. 

 

 Over the past 15 years we have only had to cancel once with no refund.  And even that was an inexpensive one night Charlotte airport  hotel that we got on a Priceline win.

Edited by iancal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 12:07 PM, operabob said:

Or you could wait until the last day and go to the draw which very few people do. I got my magazine column headshot that way. LOL!

What is the draw?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 7:02 AM, Souljourner said:

What does it mean to mystery shop a flight? 

 

Look up mystery shopping. (It is legitimate) the only thing is your area might not have an option to do mystery shopping on flights. I mystery shopped for all the large agencies I could find and never was offered this for my area, but I should look into whether I could do flights from Vegas. I did not realize you could mystery shop flights. I have gotten a free eye exam and glasses before. A lot of mystery shops aren't worth it, if it's low dollar stuff. They have a large list of things you need to look for and note. It's very important to read the rules of the shop and what the assessment is that you'll be filling out. I signed up for a mystery shop once that wanted me to go back in after, thank the employees face-to-face and offer a certificate to the best employee that I ran into. It was just a terrible idea, and I withdrew myself from that shop. it wasn't even going to pay well. It can be a fun hobby if you have the time, look into it and see if it's your thing. I stopped once I had my daughter but I even was mystery shopping practically till I gave birth, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Inside cabin! Bid cheap on upgrade, just got balcony on RCL adventure. Get loyalty perks, Diamond on RCL, elite on celebrity, platinum on Ncl and elite on Princess. Okay we cruise a lot of different lines. Always ask questions, recently on RCL adventure the Diamond lounge coffee machine was out of order again, I asked Diamond concierge and she cheerfully said just show Diamond card at Starbucks for free cappuccino! So I’m chugging 4 or 5 a day free. Free laundry means packing less! Beat the bushes for priceless! Complain about service when necessary! Most importantly cruise often as you only get good health for so long!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Instead of risking luggage tags ripping (mostly by me) I looked into the reusable luggage tag holders/protectors like these.
image.thumb.png.65d52e13f63506920af6b4d4cc1b681a.png
They're only ~$6-10 for 4, but why bother when there's a cheapskate alternative? (Especially if you're not a regular cruiser.)

When folded correctly, the Princess luggage tags say, "This luggage tag has been successfully tested for durability." but by stretching and sticking some packing tape over them, I've got improved rip and rain resistance for that inevitable Alaska rain.
image.thumb.jpeg.868b8ab4c9183fdc98329fdb1d07383e.jpeg

 

I'm too cheap to own a stapler, so I'll be using tape to affix them to my luggage as well.

Cheers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cartographile said:

but by stretching and sticking some packing tape over them, I've got improved rip and rain resistance for that inevitable Alaska rain.

 

I do the same thing.  The tape makes the paper tags much more durable.  I print and put a tag on each handle the bag has.  I think that increases the chances that at least one tag will remain on the bag.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Cartographile said:

 

That's a great idea. Have you ever lost one?

 

Bag or tag?  No, to both.  But, I have had tags so badly mangled and partly torn that they were not the easiest to read.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, Cartographile said:

Instead of risking luggage tags ripping (mostly by me) I looked into the reusable luggage tag holders/protectors like these.
image.thumb.png.65d52e13f63506920af6b4d4cc1b681a.png
They're only ~$6-10 for 4, but why bother when there's a cheapskate alternative? (Especially if you're not a regular cruiser.)

When folded correctly, the Princess luggage tags say, "This luggage tag has been successfully tested for durability." but by stretching and sticking some packing tape over them, I've got improved rip and rain resistance for that inevitable Alaska rain.
image.thumb.jpeg.868b8ab4c9183fdc98329fdb1d07383e.jpeg

 

I'm too cheap to own a stapler, so I'll be using tape to affix them to my luggage as well.

Cheers.

Dollar tree has staplers. They are small & lightweight enough to pack!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, aml3679 said:

We decided to give Carnival a try and staying in an ocean view room

Curious--did you compare the same date & itinerary to other lines?

We often find that Carnival is not cheaper than other lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...