S.S. Constitution

I sailed on S. S. Independence when she was sailing for American Hawaii Cruises; the Constitution was at dock at the Aloha Tower in Honolulu on the day we sailed.  One ship was berthed along the side of the pier; the other at the end of the pier.  Handsome vessels, large public rooms, but dated in decor and style.  The one oddity that I recall was the very small foyer at the forward entrance to the dining room.  Considering that room had been the First Class dining room when the ship was in TA service, I thought that, as I said, an oddity.  The area had a somewhat claustrophobic feel to it.  There was an annex that connected the forward and aft dining room.  Our dining table was at the aft end of the annex just before one would enter the aft dining room.  I liked that spot.  Since our stateroom was just forward of the forward dining room, we would use that entrance, walk through that room to get to our table, but still had a view of the aft dining room.  

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2006 at 6:00 AM, Druke I said:

We had a great, but fairly rough cruise on Constitution, Dec 84, San Francisco to Honolulu, via Los Angelses. She had been in San Francisco having her bottom scraped, and was repositioning back to the Islands.

Great ship in her day - pity she sank in Dec 97.

Her sister, Independence is still tied up down near Hunter's Point, San Francisco.

We were on this exact same cruise!!!  I was 9 years old at the time and I remember we hit a big storm/hurricane halfway across the Pacific.  For several days, Captain Wu could not make headway as the wind and seas were far too big.  I remember that half the crew was sea sick and could barely walk with the sea conditions so huge.  I remember when we arrived in Honolulu later than our expected day/time that there were people at the dock cheering and the media was covering the story.  We always believed that because this ship was purpose-built for crossing the Atlantic that it was extremely sea worthy.  A modern large cruise ship would have probably had to turnaround IMO.  

• 3 months later...

We sailed on the Constitution when it was with American Hawaii Cruises.  All the dining room staff were California surfer boy types.  The ship's connection with Grace Kelly and An Affair to Remember always has our interest every time a newsreel of her crossing to marry Prince Ranier or movie is shown on TV.  How many ships have such provenance?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, the simpsons said:

Oh, yes, who could forget the coffee 'boy' who would supply java to passengers on deck with the call 'ALOHA'

I sailed on the Independence when American Hawaii operated the ships.  I don't remember a coffee "boy" on deck, but, I do remember a delicious steak dinner that was served on the open deck by the pool one evening.  And, the wonderful Hawaiian music!  

• 10 months later...

I went in the Constitution, from Spain to NY, in July 1966. I was eleven years old. We were in 3rd class (I think) with loads of Italian immigrants who were going to Canada. I think the USA was making it harder to migrate there already. I made friends with an Italian boy, whose name, sadly, I don't remember, and we had a great time exploring the ship, sneaking into the first class decks where the swimming pool (or pools?) were. We played ping-pong which was a very funny game to play when the ship was bouncing up and down due to rough weather. We had a big storm in the middle of the Atlantic and they put ropes in all the corridors so people could hold on to something when getting from one place to another. It was so much fun for two kids running around. Dinner time was always exciting and very proper and, sometimes, the captain would sit at his table in his beautiful white uniform and we would all stare at him. I still have an ashtray from the Constitution with me.

• 2 months later...

I stumbled upon this site, so let me try to reconstruct a fond memory related to it. I was invited to a bon voyage party for a girl named Leslie on the SS Constitution at 10 am on August 1 1962 before it sailed from NYC at noon. As I sipped champagne on the party deck my eyes suddenly became riveted on a young blonde in a blue seersucker suit across the room. I walked over to her and learned that her name was Katie Costello from Waldwick NJ. I dated Katie on and off for the next 17 months, but lost contact after that. But Katie was such a quality person that in my mind’s eye, even 61 years after that one time I was ever on the SS Constitution, I can only recall it by association as being of the highest quality. I have had many wonderful experiences in my life and met many wonderful  people, but as I sit here today thinking about that one day, what I would not do to be able to relive that one day and time in my life on the deck of the SS Constitution at 10 am, August 1, 1962.

On 3/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, rkacruiser said:

I sailed on S. S. Independence when she was sailing for American Hawaii Cruises; the Constitution was at dock at the Aloha Tower in Honolulu on the day we sailed.  One ship was berthed along the side of the pier; the other at the end of the pier.  Handsome vessels, large public rooms, but dated in decor and style.  The one oddity that I recall was the very small foyer at the forward entrance to the dining room.  Considering that room had been the First Class dining room when the ship was in TA service, I thought that, as I said, an oddity.  The area had a somewhat claustrophobic feel to it.  There was an annex that connected the forward and aft dining room.  Our dining table was at the aft end of the annex just before one would enter the aft dining room.  I liked that spot.  Since our stateroom was just forward of the forward dining room, we would use that entrance, walk through that room to get to our table, but still had a view of the aft dining room.  

As far as the decor is concerned, its ironic the same decor is now back in style(mid century modern).  Most ships are time capsules of THEIR TIME.....

I wish I could of sailed in one of these ships...ala "AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER".