How is the ferry ride....

We have never had a problem with being seasick on the ferry ride. That being said, we have seen a number of people getting sick on the ferry. I would think that since you are on a cruise, you will have no problems. My wife does take ginger pills and bonine, since she has a tendancy to get seasick, especially if alcohol has been consumed all day.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on it and it was like the little ship from hell.....man that thing was wicked! I have a real problem with sea sickness so I was very sick. Take gravol, dramamine something if you are at all prone to sea sickness.

My husband who is not prone to sea sickness loved the ride over. He had no problems at all.

If you're using the UltraMar ferry, they board you on the outside upper deck aft. Walk through the dark tinted plexiglass doors and take a very comfortable seat inside. There are interior seats on the upper or lower level.

My husband and I just made that ferry crossing Jan. 14th. It was windy that day and rainy. We were unprepared for how rough the sea was. Waves were splashing the sides and occasionally topping the ferry. They started passing out sickness bags about ten minutes into the ride. We brought our sea band wrist bands and I think they helped. We were seated on the bottom, inside under an A/C and the air also helped. Nevertheless we were nauseated and grateful for the shore! We didn't toss our cookies, but many around us did. :o

It is 30-35 minutes of the ferry from "HE" double hocky sticks!

So be prepared! :D

Latterdayesther

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Our ship will dock in Cozumel and we are planning to take ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen Beach Horsebacking Riding Excursion. Has anyone ever done this excursion, it is through cozumelcruiseexcursion.com?

Thanks

You might try posting on the Cozumel board, it gets a lot more traffic than the PDC board.

• 1 month later...
Our ship will dock in Cozumel and we are planning to take ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen Beach Horsebacking Riding Excursion. Has anyone ever done this excursion, it is through cozumelcruiseexcursion.com?

Thanks

I did a horseback ride in PDC last summer and it was very hot, not much shade. And we were told that we would be able to go out in the ocean and ride our horses. All they did was lead the horses out into the water, snap our picture and then lead us right back out. Kind of a rip off. The ride was down a long dirt road, not very scenic. I'm not sure if this is the same one that you're going on.

• 2 months later...

We've done the round-trip twice. Both DW and I are not prone to sea-sickness and both times the ride was as rough as any we've been on (much rougher than the one from St. Thomas to St. John). Take it for what it's worth, when the first thing the crew does is hand out plastic bags, you know you're in for the ride of your life. First time, no problem. Last time of the three of us who went (DW, friend and myself), the 'vomit comet' took two of the three of us out.

We're somewhat seasoned cruisers and I can truly say there won't be a third trip for us. Are we glad we made the trip - you bet (we went to Tulum both times). Best advice - take the motion sickness pill of your choice and then hang on for the ride of your life.

• 3 months later...
We are taking an excursion at our Cozumel stop (Aug 9th sailing) that requires us to take the ferry from Cozumel to Play Del Carmen.

We are looking for anyone who has experienced this. Both the good and the bad. Thanks.

I know this tread is kind of old, nothing recent, but maybe if anyone has any info on the cost of these ferrys? It sounds to me like, if the water is a little rough, then it would be a fun excursion on it's own...hang on for the ride!! woohoo

or a link for the info would be helpful. I haven't found anything so far.

• 1 month later...
How reliable is the ferry service..like if the weather is good, do you need to worry about them canceling the ferry and getting stuck and missing the ship?:confused:

It usually takes a tropical storm or worse to cancel the ferries. If it's windy or the seas look rough at all at the ferry pier stay on Coz, unless you enjoy the scent of communal vomit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my experience: we did the ferry on our November 14 Crown Princess cruise. It was very smooth and easy. Very comfortable sitting areas, we had a really cute guy playing guitar and singing. I had read about all the bad stories but our experience was really good. We may have been lucky as the seas were not rough at all in our crossing

I took the ferry in September to meet someone from Cancun. I rode on the top deck and listen to the little band play~~of course they were expecting you to tip!~~The ride across was very smooth~~~ On my return trip I stayed in the lower deck and watch Mexican TV~~and enjoyed the air conditioning....because it was very HOT that day! You could buy candy and soft drinks to enjoy on your ride....mixed drinks too! I had to tip the guys to put my box on the ferry and I had to tip them to take it off~~ But my 40 minute ride both ways was very comfortable....

• 1 month later...

Archived