Mayan Ruins - Belize or Cozumel

Which Mayan Ruins are better - Belize or Cozumel?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mayan Ruins are better - Belize or Cozumel?

• Belize has better ruins - or are good enough without being able to compare
    • Cozumel (Tulum) are better - or are good enough without being able to compare
    • Neither are good enough

I searched but didn't see anything specific to this topic...

We are going on a 5 night cruise to both Cozumel and Belize ports of call and are wondering which place is better to see Mayan Ruins and why? I realize that the more worthwhile ruins from Cozumel are actullay on a trip to Tulum, correct?

First time cruiser here....

I am very interested about this question as we will be going to these ports in December on Navigator.

I have heard/read that Belize City is not a great place to roam around town on your own and it is best to take an excursion there.

We can't decide which day to go to Mayan Ruins and which day to spend at a beach.

We went on a cruise in April that went to both Belize & Cozumel and I had the same dilemma. We went with Belize (Lamanai) and were very happy with our choice b/c we were able to climb the ruins and get up close. We were told that you can't touch the ruins in Cozumel but maybe there are some? Also, we had a fantastic beach day in Cozumel - they have great water toys at all the beaches. You should check the postings under the individual ports for more details!:D Have a great time!

Tulum is a good choice for a visit since it is on the coast so that you have gulf views as well as great Mayan ruins. Also a nice, small beach that can be accessed by stairs right below the ruins. Cozumel offers tours to Tulum

Have not been to the ruins in Coz yet, but the ship excursion for Belize is wonderful. It has been one of our favorite excrsions of all times and would do it again. If you do go to Lamanai, do it through the ship. When we did it, 2 of the boats died and 1 had to be towed back to the base, so we were late getting back to the ship. The ship was contacted and they waited on us to return before they left the port.

The best ruins are probably those at Chichen Itza. Unfortunatly, they are a little too far to visit when on a cruise.

We have not been to the ruins at Belize but have been to Tulum several times and the ruins there are very nice plus the view of the Caribbean Sea from the cliffs of Tulum is stunning.

If you opt for Tulum, please be aware that Tulum is not on Cozumel. It is on the mainland. You take a 45 minute ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen where you will board buses to Tulum. So, be prepared for a rather long day. Also, at times the ferry ride can be pretty rocky so motion sickness meds are a good idea.

We took a ship's tour from Belize City, down a delightful jungle river, and from there to the ruins at Altun Ha. They are smallish, but very accessible - you can climb one of them, but not up the front, to my relief! They have constructed a stairway up the side, and the view from the top sacrificial altar is amazing. We did not go to Lamanai, but from viewing websites, they are larger and more developed.

Last year, we went to Tulum from Cozumel. As other posters have warned, the ferry ride can be quite rough, so go prepared. The Tulum ruins are not as attractive to me; they just didn't have the "character: of Altun Ha. They are very well restored, however, and as noted above, there is a little beach at the food of the cliff they're on that is just gorgeous.

One thing to consider is the weather; the ruins at Belize are inland, and it's hotter than the hinges! Doesn't seem to matter what time of year it is, either. The Tulum ruins are right on the coast, on a cliff above the Caribbean. If heat is a big issue for you, you will do better there.

Either way, if you're a history buff, you can't lose. Have a great cruise.

Thru another cruise line, we did the Altun Ha ruins & river cruise In Belize. It was a wonderful first exposure to Mayan ruins. The kids semi-enjoyed it (I was concerned about bug-bites, so I gave them Benadryl and they slept thru 1/2 of the river cruise). If you do go BRING BUG SPRAY, I cannot stress this enough.

The ruins were interesting, and it was nice to "climb" to the top of one.

I would eventaully like to get to Tulum or Chitzen Itza.

We did the Cave Tubing in Belize which was one of the best excursions ever. Booked independently rather than through the ship and glad I did since we went through 2 caves and were pulled by the guides all the way. Didn't have to move a finger except to press the camera button! ;) We did Yhony and was fantastic. Ship tours just plunked people into their innertubes and said see ya at the end. Lots of aching arms for some short limbed people!

At Cozumel we did the ship sponsored tour of Tulum. During my research I discovered that the independent tours were priced the same and I wanted the security of knowing I was on a ship sponsored tour since it was pretty much a full day trip. If you do go to Tulum make sure you bring LOTS of water and wear a hat that will cover your neck because there are very little vegetation and trees to hide under to escape the grueling afternoon sun. The place was packed, but again, it was worth it. The site was amazing and you can't beat the beachfront location.

If you are also going to Costa Maya, you might try the Chacchoben ruins if they are open to visitors now. The site is much smaller and only recently excavated. Loved David & Ivan's tour, although again, not sure if they are up and running after the hurricane which destroyed so much of the area.

Theresa

Archived