Any other Scrapbookers!!!

abbyndrewmom

I sure enjoyed the ideas I found in these replys. I will try to remember them on my first cruise. Has anyone been to The ScrapBook Cottage in Nassau?

Marty

You mean to tell me there is a scrapbook store in a port so I can cruise AND scrap?! OMG, I'm in heaven!!!

Hello fellow scrapbookers! We have four cruises under our belt but none are scrapbooked yet. We just did an Alaskan cruise so have decided to start with this one first. Alaska was a super place to purchase albums, die cuts and other embellishments. Obviously, the biggest challenge is selecting the pics to be printed. Digital photography is both a blessing and a curse. My husband and I have our own cameras and both of us take oodles of photos so we have at least 3000 pics from this cruisetour. I downloaded my DH's pics onto the computer and then I sit at the computer going thru his photos an image at a time while I have my camera in hand for comparison to check to see who has the better shot and which images he captured but I didn't and vice-versa. Trying to pick just a few representative photos for each aspect of our trip is proving to be a monumental challenge. I am curious to know if any of you print your own photos on a home printer or send them to a photo lab. Has anyone done a cost comparison between the two methods? Do you prefer glossy or a matte finish? It has always been my understanding that when pictures are stored in plastic sleeves, that matte is better so the plastic doesn't stick to the picture. However, I also believe that colours in glossy prints are more dynamic. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sandy

Hello fellow scrapbookers! We have four cruises under our belt but none are scrapbooked yet. We just did an Alaskan cruise so have decided to start with this one first. Alaska was a super place to purchase albums, die cuts and other embellishments. Obviously, the biggest challenge is selecting the pics to be printed. Digital photography is both a blessing and a curse. My husband and I have our own cameras and both of us take oodles of photos so we have at least 3000 pics from this cruisetour. I downloaded my DH's pics onto the computer and then I sit at the computer going thru his photos an image at a time while I have my camera in hand for comparison to check to see who has the better shot and which images he captured but I didn't and vice-versa. Trying to pick just a few representative photos for each aspect of our trip is proving to be a monumental challenge. I am curious to know if any of you print your own photos on a home printer or send them to a photo lab. Has anyone done a cost comparison between the two methods? Do you prefer glossy or a matte finish? It has always been my understanding that when pictures are stored in plastic sleeves, that matte is better so the plastic doesn't stick to the picture. However, I also believe that colours in glossy prints are more dynamic. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sandy

Sandy, hi!

An Alaskan cruisetour sounds incredible... it's still on our list.

But to the questions at hand. I have mostly used Walgreens.com for photos. They always have some sort of coupon that you can use and makes it cheap.

I recently printed out some pictures (Glossy--it's all I prefer) on my printer and it did a bang-up job. For the convenience, I think I rather like that idea and wouldn't mind if it is a few pennies more per print--not having to drive to pick up pictures is a good thing.

Here's an idea... why don't you (to get over the hump of photo selection) employ your husband/family? You could pick a particular day/event and your husband could pick another and you use the shots from your camera on your choices and use the ones from his camera from his choices. It would eliminate the "being caught up in" the "act" of scrapbooking but not getting anything done... something to think about if you want to get the pages accomplished.

OR you can put the photos aside and make the pages first then pick out the photos later that will go on that page. You could also make "flip" albums that go on any given page to get more photos on your page(s) without sacrificing real estate.

HTH,

I sure enjoyed the ideas I found in these replys. I will try to remember them on my first cruise. Has anyone been to The ScrapBook Cottage in Nassau?

Marty

I haven't been to The Scrapbook Cottage; didn't know it existed. Do you know where it is? I'd love to visit it on our next cruise.

I am curious to know if any of you print your own photos on a home printer or send them to a photo lab. Has anyone done a cost comparison between the two methods? Do you prefer glossy or a matte finish? It has always been my understanding that when pictures are stored in plastic sleeves, that matte is better so the plastic doesn't stick to the picture. However, I also believe that colours in glossy prints are more dynamic. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sandy

I have my photos printed at a photo lab; I go there and sit for hours at one of their machines selecting and editing. I haven't had much luck doing the same thing on my computer, so I find using the lab better. And I definitely prefer glossy. I use the glossy photos in my scrapbooks in those top loading plastic type pages (archival quality, acid free, etc.), and I've had absolutely no trouble with the photos sticking to the plastic. I suspect it was the old type of plastic that had the sticking problems, and I have plenty of them from years ago. And, finally, I also have them printed without borders. While borders can look nice, I often want (even after I've edited) to cut off part of a photo for one reason or another, and with no borders you can't tell that I've done any cutting.

Sandy, hi!

An Alaskan cruisetour sounds incredible... it's still on our list.

But to the questions at hand. I have mostly used Walgreens.com for photos. They always have some sort of coupon that you can use and makes it cheap.

I recently printed out some pictures (Glossy--it's all I prefer) on my printer and it did a bang-up job. For the convenience, I think I rather like that idea and wouldn't mind if it is a few pennies more per print--not having to drive to pick up pictures is a good thing.

Here's an idea... why don't you (to get over the hump of photo selection) employ your husband/family? You could pick a particular day/event and your husband could pick another and you use the shots from your camera on your choices and use the ones from his camera from his choices. It would eliminate the "being caught up in" the "act" of scrapbooking but not getting anything done... something to think about if you want to get the pages accomplished.

OR you can put the photos aside and make the pages first then pick out the photos later that will go on that page. You could also make "flip" albums that go on any given page to get more photos on your page(s) without sacrificing real estate.

HTH,

Thanks for your comments, Debra. There are times when I think it would certainly be more convenient to be able to print out pictures at home especially when just a few are required.

It is a super idea to create flip pages on some layouts. I did this for a friend when I made a wedding album for her of her daughter's wedding. It is a wonderful way to get more photos in without "sacrificing real estate" as you so eloquently put it.

I think that I am a pictures-determine-the-layout person but should try the reverse someday just to see how the layout turns out. It would probably free the creative mind.

When you get around to doing an Alaska cruisetour, I would make a suggestion. We did a six day land tour and wish we had done eight. It was difficult to really enjoy the two lodges were we only spent one night. It just doesn't give you enough time to relax and enjoy your surroundings. Another option, would be to do the land tour on your own. There are certainly a lot of comments on CC extolling all the positives of seeing interior Alaska on one's own. Regardless, it's not an adventure to be missed.

Thanks again,

Sandy :)

Thanks for resurrecting this thread - lots of good ideas.

I've been scrapbooking for about 8 yrs and about to go on my first ever cruise in the Med.

OMG you are going to LOVE IT!!! And then the fun of scrapbooking it afterwards... it's like re-living the cruise all over again :)

I usually do one scrapbook for each cruise -- the ship, then the cabin, then the tours and food and activities. Now I have two cruises booked a few months apart, on the same ship and in the same cabin -- but completely different itineraries. I think I'll do only one scrapbook for both cruises. Then I'll only do the ship and cabin once, but the rest will be different.

I usually do one scrapbook for each cruise -- the ship, then the cabin, then the tours and food and activities. Now I have two cruises booked a few months apart, on the same ship and in the same cabin -- but completely different itineraries. I think I'll do only one scrapbook for both cruises. Then I'll only do the ship and cabin once, but the rest will be different.

I think that's a great idea. I hope when you do your pages, you will share!!

• 2 weeks later...

Love to scrapbook and have for many, many years, even before it became popular. Leaving on Sunday for our second cruise (back to Alaska) and am looking forward to scrapping our trip once again. This time, I have more toys to play with then when I did our first Alaskan cruise book, the possibilities are endless in creating LO's.

ok i'm on my cruise. I love it.

First sea day today and we had a scrapbooking class with kit, there is a cruise kit to purchase and celebrity cruise specific stickers :)

two more sea days later in the cruise with two more classes :)

ooooh, have fun jantyannie!!!

I'm bummed! Apparently Carnival discontinued their scrap book supply program. :( They had a link on the website where you could purchase this stuff and it's not there anymore. I asked them and they said it was discontinued. :( Wonder if you can still get it on the ships?

I'm bummed! Apparently Carnival discontinued their scrap book supply program. :( They had a link on the website where you could purchase this stuff and it's not there anymore. I asked them and they said it was discontinued. :( Wonder if you can still get it on the ships?

Well, when I was on Liberty last September and Destiny in November, there were oodles of supplies. I bought a scrapbook that I still love when I look at it, and every scrapbook kit they had. In fact, I bought one that is a gambling theme and I still haven't used it and will probably sell it on e-bay. (Hey, maybe e-bay has stuff?! Didn't think about that until now!)

So enjoy your cruise and shopping on the ship. Oh, one other thing: they didn't have those supplies the first day on the ship. They came out about 1/2 way through the cruise, so don't despair if you do not see it right away. I found the supplies by the photo gallery area on both ships.

HTH,

I did buy some stuff on my cruise in April on the conquest. They had lots of page kits and scrapbooks, they even had the scrapbook class onboard. But when I got home I didn't have enough pages in the book I bought and none of the refills at my local stores will fit the book. So I was going to buy them from the online shop but it's gone!:(

Oh I couldn't take your page protectors. The book only came with like 20 pages or so and there were six of us girls armed with cameras!!:p We have about 1400 pictures and even after weeding thru them for scrapbook worthy pics I've got a ton. So, thank you but I'll let you keep you pages.

Oh I couldn't take your page protectors. The book only came with like 20 pages or so and there were six of us girls armed with cameras!!:p We have about 1400 pictures and even after weeding thru them for scrapbook worthy pics I've got a ton. So, thank you but I'll let you keep you pages.

Ok, well if you change your mind, I really don't need them :) Sounds like it was a good time though LOL...

How did you do that porthole? It is WAY COOL!!!

I used 12x12 silver cardstock from M's for the back circle and the porthole cutout, so the size of this would pretty much be an entire 12x12 LO.

The interior of the porthole I made with fun foam and various dies that I have, which gives it the 3-D effect.

Pirate Ship, Pirate and Clouds are QK dies.

The wave and white swirl in the wave are Sizzix decorative strip dies.

Cruisin' lettering is Sizzlet Sassy Serif.

I used a circular punch to create the outer portion of the porthole.

I whipped out some life preservers with fun foam and our names on them this morning.

We will be leaving soon to head to the ship.

Bon Voyage!

Archived