• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan in <24 hours??

CruiserDoc

As a substitute to Princess Cays, Princess is showing San Juan on the 10/23 sailing. The Cruise Personalizer shows arrival in San Juan at 4pm on Sunday, less than 24 hours after leaving Ft. Lauderdale. Is this even possible?? As I recall, when ships leaving So. Florida have their first port as San Juan it's after a full day and 1/2 at sea. Anybody know if it's possible to make the FLL to San Juan run in less than 24 hrs?

I'm sure it's possible. When we cruise on the Disney Magic, it makes it from Port Canaveral all the way to Key West in less time than that. The Magic leaves at 5 pm and we're in Key West by 11:00 am the next morning.
Instead of taking it very slow, the PC will just move along quicker to make it to San Juan.

[quote name='CruiserDoc']As a substitute to Princess Cays, Princess is showing San Juan on the 10/23 sailing. The Cruise Personalizer shows arrival in San Juan at 4pm on Sunday, less than 24 hours after leaving Ft. Lauderdale. Is this even possible?? As I recall, when ships leaving So. Florida have their first port as San Juan it's after a full day and 1/2 at sea. Anybody know if it's possible to make the FLL to San Juan run in less than 24 hrs?[/QUOTE]

That does not sound right. If I am not misteken it is about 1000-1200 nautical miles to SJ from Ft. Lauderdale. If it was 4 PM on Monday, I would think it would be right. Key West is significantly closer to Port Canaveral than this.

We were wondering the same thing as we are scheduled to go this Saturday on the CP.

On the cruise personalizer, the CP is scheduled to arrive in San Juan at 4 p.m. and leave at 11 p.m. on Sunday. This was originally a day at sea. On Monday, we still have a day at sea. Maybe somebody at Princess inputed the wrong day and it should be listed as Monday arriving in SJ and not Sunday.

Here's what happens when an engineer who is taking a break at work stumbles upon a question like this...

Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan is a little over 900 nautical miles. To get to SJ in 24 hours the ship would have to maintain over 37 knots (nautical miles per hour) for the duration. The fastest cruise ships advertise between 25 and 30 knots, although most rarely cruise over 20. So assuming 25 knots cruising speed it would take 36 hours, and probably a number of sick passengers, to make the trip. Therefore you have discovered an error!

For the record Port Canaveral to Key West is a little over 200 nauntical miles.

Archived