HAL cabin guarantee question

danielsumner

I have a HAL question. We are booked on the Oosterdam the first week in December. This will be our first HAL cruise. I have booked a guarantee cabin. My category has been sold out for a long time. There are only a few cabins left above my guarantee. How does HAL do their assignments? Am I already assigned a cabin (like a place card) or will I get one of the available ones left? I understand that the Oosterdam is a beautiful ship. Can’t wait!!!!!! Thanks for the help.

daniel,

When it comes to upgrades assume nothing and pray to the upgrade gods. It may seem like you're assured an upgrade, but don't be disappointed if you wind up in the category booked. It's possible that someone who booked the same category prior to you will get upgraded, and you wind up in the vacated cabin. It's also possible that you'll be upgraded. No way to tell until you receive your actual cabin assignment.

There's no way to tell. It would seem remote if all cabins above are sold out or nearly sold out. However, even some of those can open up at the last minute. Have you checked online to see if there's a cabin number? Use your booking number to log on to the immigration form or shore excursion area. You'll either see a 00 (cabin not yet assigned) or a cabin number.

I have a HAL question. We are booked on the Oosterdam the first week in December. This will be our first HAL cruise. I have booked a guarantee cabin. My category has been sold out for a long time. There are only a few cabins left above my guarantee. How does HAL do their assignments? Am I already assigned a cabin (like a place card) or will I get one of the available ones left? I understand that the Oosterdam is a beautiful ship. Can’t wait!!!!!! Thanks for the help.

I don't believe you are "held" in a cabin. We did 2 BC guarantee's and an NN guarantee for the Oosterdam for 10/24 and we got 2 Bs and an L however we are all traveling together and they got the 2 BCs next to each other and the L across the hall. We did ask that they not consider we were together since we figured that would limit our upgrade opportunity but apparently they did because the odds of getting the proximity we got would be slim to none but that's ok. Someone on the roll call thread booked a BB and got an AA so for the balconies, we all got a 3 cat upg, the inside got 4 for what that's worth.

We got our assignments on Sunday, 2 weeks before sailing. Some other people on the roll call, just got them today, 12 days before. Here is something interesting, I have been watching the availability closely and this afternoon when I got home, about 6pm central time, I checked and there was a PS, an SS, several balconies, a few outides and no insides available. I checked again minutes ago (720pm central time) and the cruise is sold out, completely 100% gone. I find all of this so intriguing, I am amazed that no ex-cruise employees have never posted how it works.

Gliles, I also find the way that they book intriguing. Half the fun of a cruise is trying to figure out the way things like bookings work. This drives my DW crazy, I find that it helps to pass the time. We have a BC guarantee, there are just two balconies left this morning and nine suites. Maybe they wait for someone to cancel, however it is only 53 days till sailing. Thanks for the input. Daniel

Archived