• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

guarantee rooms and a child with motion sickness

skaterfan

We have just booked our first cruise for my family on 4. We are leaving on the Victory from Miami on Feb 3 and doing the Western Carribean 7 day cruise.
We have booked inside guarantee. But my concern is that
my youngest daughter has motion sickness and has never been on
a cruise before. I am worried that we do get an upgrade and we
end up with a room high up and not mid ship and she gets sick.
I think they will charge us extra to have a room assignment.
Should I be concerned???

The higher the room is, the less motion you should feel. I have only been on the Riviera and Main decks (the two lowest) and havent felt much, although I dont get motion sickness. But from people who do, I have heard that there is a patch you put behind your ear that is supposed to do miracles. I dont know what its called, but I believe it is over the counter so you can ask your pharmacist. Hope this helps!

We also used the patch...it was fantastic, we were a party of 14 and not one of our group got sea sick...and there were some that were really scared cause they have a tendancy to get sick from motion...but all worked out well, we did get at a pharmacy and if you cannot find it, just ask the pharmacist...they will gladly help you...

[quote name='Kerrilah']The higher the room is, the less motion you should feel. [/QUOTE]

this is not a true statement. The higher you are the more motion a ship will feel. But in rough waters you will feel motion all through out the ship.

THe front feeling the most...
The best place for people to be that get motion sickenss in lower midship.

I would avoid (and so should your DR) the patch for children... regardless of the age.. too many side effects... I took my 14 year old, on his 1st cruise, in June (we also got stuck in TS Gastone). He gets car sick and motion sick very easily. We brought along dramamine and used it only once. He never felt sick at all... we were lower on the decks.. I would avoid a higher cabin. (I agree with Serene)

Correct, higher cabins are worse...But consult with your doctor and find out what she can take, Bonine, Dramamine, etc. Start it before you get on ship. Don't wait for her to get sick. It's always good to be pro-active

Hmmmmm...my son has gotten carsick since he was 2 years old, severely...he has gotten 50% better since he has gotten older, 11 now. I was planning on using the patch and had heard there were no side effects to speak of. Can you enlighten me on side effects of the patch? Would greatly appreciate it.

Suz11, what do you have? Thanks, Kelly:confused:

I am an adult who suffers from motion sickness. I use to book inside guarantee's also. My upgrades have always been horrible cabins for someone with motion sickness!! On the Destiny we were on the Rivera deck (lowest level) first cabin on the starboard side. On the Jubilee we were also on the Riveria deck 2nd or 3rd cabin on the port side. I had to live on Dramamine...even my husband who doesn't have this problem could hardly stand to stay in the cabin. Even the Destiny which is alot larger than the Jubilee was verrrrrrrrry rough in that front cabin.
So, my is advice to you is Don't Chance it! You could be stuck in one of these type cabins. It's not worth your child being sick all week if this is what you end up with. I've learned through experience that Carnival is not generous with giving upgrades. At least not in my experience.
Good Luck
CaribbeanCrazy

May I ask what your itinerary (don't really know how to spell it) is? Is it to the Carribean? Western is less rocky then Eastern because you are not in the Atlantic that much. Also, most of the bigger ships you barely feel it moving except for in the middle of the night, and even then it isn't that bad. The reason why it is in the middle of the night is because the boat speeds up as the night goes on. That is when they catchup for the time lost when you slow down during the day.

with the patch--make sure your child dont touch it then rub his eyes. SOmeone online put the patch on then put their contact in....not a pleasant experience for them at all.

Have you looked into the Sea Bands? no medicine involved but wear two wristlet type of bands that use a ball on pressure points on the wrist. They have these in drug stores like Rite Aid or Walgreens.. and you dont have to play around with medicines and drowsey children

Talk to your doctor. The patch is by prescription only, at least it is around here. Depending on your age, medicines you take, etc., your doctor will advise you. On our last cruise (Inspiration), my husband used the patch. My older son used meclizine daily (over the counter)...he is prone to motion sickness. He felt it most at the front of the ship (gift shop and theater area.) He was able to watch the shows, no problem, but could not linger in the gift shop! My younger son and myself used dramamine as needed..we only had to take it once or twice (look for the non-drowsy kind). As far as our stateroom, we were towards the back of the ship, upper deck. No problem with motion. I would not chance getting a forward cabin.

If I were you, I would book a specific cabin. We cruised on the Victory last March (Eastern route) and our DD got motion sickness in the dining room at lunch. (She took Bonine the one time she did get sick, but didn't need it again.)There's plenty of movement in the back as well as the front of the ship! She wouldn't set foot in the aft dining room after that, even when the ship was docked, she absolutely refused to go in there.:rolleyes: (We wanted to eat lunch on board while we were in port.) Our cabin was located on the Lido deck midship (pretty high up) but she was fine while in the cabin or anywhere else on the ship, for that matter. My point is I would avoid a cabin at the front or the back of the ship so everyone in your family has a good time.

Happy sailing,
Gayle

Gayle: do you remember if the curtains were openedin the dining room or did you sit near a window. Some people will experince the motion sickness watching the ship go up and down by watching the horizon.

I typically take Bonine for motion sickness but don't know if children can take it. Also, I'd never book a guarantee cabin because I wouldn't want to be at the front or the back of the ship. Mid-ship on the main or empress deck is your best bet. Also, for me, inside isn't as comfortable. More clastrophobic...at least with the a window you have daylight and a sense of the time of day.

I can't tell you about where on the ship, but I am an expert on motion sickness!! Hubby says I can get seasick in a bathtub. I have been this way ever since I was small.......I am now 52. I can't read in any moving vehicle, and I have to be able to see straight out ahead of me. If I am looking sideways the scenery "flashing" past will immediately set my stomach in motion.

On our first cruise I was OK for the first part because we were out on the deck. It started when we were getting ready for the cocktail hour the first night. I got queasy in the room, and then at the party I was so sick that the waiter saw it in my face. Must have really been green! I went down to the cabin and ended up paging my husband because I couldn't get out of bed I was so sick. He took me to the doc's office where they gave me a shot and I slept for about 5 hours. When I awoke at midnight I felt fantastic! Next day I got the patch and didn't have a problem the rest of the trip. I use them constantly now for any long trip. If the plane trip is longer than 2 hours (I require a window seat), I use the patch. I always have one with me when we travel because of never knowing what we might decide to do. I have used everything else out there.......Dramamine, Bonine, pressure bands, etc.........NOTHING works except the patch.

The only side effect that I have ever felt with it is dryness of mouth. I always know when it is working (takes 4 hours) because my mouth gets dry. But that's it. And yes you have to wash your hands thoroughly after applying, but as long as you do that, there is no problem (I also have contacts). And yes, it is by prescription. Plus you have to change them every 3 days. Definately check with your child's doctor about it. People who are not affected to a strong degree (like my husband) just don't understand how horrible it is. Once it is started, nothing will make it go away except to get out of the moving vehicle.......which is extremely difficult on a ship or plane!! And even then you are usually queasy for several hours afterwards. People say that you get used to the motion......no way. Save your trip and talk to the doctor.

Serene,

We were right next to the window at the very back of the ship and yes, the curtains were WIDE open. In fact, I don't remember there being any curtains!:D I must admit, that I too was a little queasy, as the water was choppy. I just told myself, don't get sick and I didn't.

Gayle

[quote name='skaterfan']Thanks for all your replies I have paid a little extra and have booked
a room on the riveara deck mid ship. It will be quiet and the best
place to be with a child that has motion sickness. Only 122 days
till we leave.[/QUOTE]
If there is anyway you can afford it book you child an Oceanview room. I sufer from motion sickness. I always lucked out and ended up in an outside room. One time I ended up inside and will never book and inside room again. When ill the best thing to do is to be able to look outside at a non moving object. On a ship that only leaves the horizon. Any time I start feeling Ill I just look out side or go up on deck to see out. Just my 2 cents worth.

Archived