? re: Waterproof Camera Bags

flamomo

I have a camera that I really like, and prefer not to replace before our cruise to Tahiti and FP in the Fall.

I know there are waterproof bags available, and am looking for input from others who have used them.

I have looked up info about them online, and understand that there are depth restrictions to which they are waterproof. That's fine because we are not going to be scuba diving, but may try snorkeling.

I'd appreciate hearing other's experience with them before making a decision as whether to purchase one.

I have a camera that I really like, and prefer not to replace before our cruise to Tahiti and FP in the Fall.

I know there are waterproof bags available, and am looking for input from others who have used them.

I have looked up info about them online, and understand that there are depth restrictions to which they are waterproof. That's fine because we are not going to be scuba diving, but may try snorkeling.

I'd appreciate hearing other's experience with them before making a decision as whether to purchase one.

Are you asking about a bag for carrying, I think you are are asking for a waterproof case that allows you to use the camera while in the water.

The really professional ones run several hundred dollars and some much more then that :eek: . When we went on our last cruise I simply picked up a cheap film camera/case that was good to 10ft. Worked fine for the few activities and only burned about one roll. Plus since I knew it was a throwaway I didn't worry to much about it either. I later just scanned the pictures in and it worked well. Most developers will even give you a CD these days :D Unless you are planning a ton of pictures that might meet your need.

Or you could look at Olympus line or the new Pentax. They almost run similar price to a case. Unless that "fond" camera is a high end DSLR you may be better off investing in a cheap film/digital. These days I'm "fond' of my Nikon DSLR and am eyeing the Olympus line waiting for a VR version as my get it wet/dirty/rough camera

Check out AquaPak and Ewa-Marine. They hace generic waterproof housings (bags) for most P&S cameras. $35-$100.

Dedicated housings built by your camera's manufacturer for your specific camera are best, but these will do for light snorkeling and rain/dust protection.

http://www.ewa-marine.de/index.php?id=6

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#1X0

Dave

• 1 month later...

I bought an aqua pack for about $30.00 on ebay. I wasn't happy with it. I couldn't see through the view finder (I was using a finepix camera) when under the water, it was hard to turn the camera on and off. I just didn't care for it. (myopinion) I am right now looking for an underwater camera because I am tired of the disposable looking pictures.

Amy

Hi..... We're on the same cruise in October. I think we've chatted on the South Pacific board....

I don't recommend the bags at all. I've seen nothing but disasters. You say it's a camera you really like. I would check for a housing for it. Or get a disposable camera. The bags are not reliable and so many friends have had cameras ruined. Just my 2 cents worth.

Archived