Ordered Canon S5 IS Camera but have not received yet

icon10.gifNo Canon S5 IS yet

I have ordered the Canon S5 IS digital camera but so far have not yet received it . I am going to have to call them and see what is going on. The way my luck has been, it will be on back order. I might even cancel my order if I can because that would be the second or third order that I have cancelled since it was on back order and I would not be able to get my camera before my next Alaskan cruise.

I am new to photography, so please be patient. If I do not get my Canon S5 IS digital camera, I have been looking at the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI. I know that the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI is a SLR. Now, I do not know that much about cameras but I can get this one for a little more in price as the S5 camera. Is the extra price worth it?

The main features that I know I want is excellent quality pictures, nice zoom and lots of bells and whistles on the camera.

It has been at least 10 days so far, will have to call Monday on order.

Thanks,

David

icon10.gifNo Canon S5 IS yet

I have ordered the Canon S5 IS digital camera but so far have not yet received it . I am going to have to call them and see what is going on. The way my luck has been, it will be on back order. I might even cancel my order if I can because that would be the second or third order that I have cancelled since it was on back order and I would not be able to get my camera before my next Alaskan cruise.

I am new to photography, so please be patient. If I do not get my Canon S5 IS digital camera, I have been looking at the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI. I know that the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI is a SLR. Now, I do not know that much about cameras but I can get this one for a little more in price as the S5 camera. Is the extra price worth it?

The main features that I know I want is excellent quality pictures, nice zoom and lots of bells and whistles on the camera.

It has been at least 10 days so far, will have to call Monday on order.

Thanks,

David

You will not get much of a zoom with a kit lens (those often supplied with the camera) with an SLR and will need to invest in a zoom lens to get anything close to what the S5 offers, this can cost as much or more as the camera itself.

You will also not get a video mode, the S5 takes wonderful video.

SLR cameras are unbeatable for serious photographers, but can be a serious investment. If you are thinking of learning more about photography than the S5 is a great tool to learn with as it has all kinds of manual settings, and if you find that this is a serious hobby, you can later upgrade to an SLR, I know that I will in a few years.

You can get some amazing shots with the S5, I have been frequenting some forums lately and have been impressed with its capabilities. You can add adapters and filters to the lens to further its capabilities.

No I'm not a Canon salesman:D, but I do very much enjoy my S3 (previous generation, very similar), and have recently added adapters and a couple of filters, and am just now getting serious about learning all that this camera can do, leaving the "auto" feature in the dust!

Hope that your camera shows up soon!

MAC

Thanks,

I thought the SLR was too much for my taste for now but I am having a hard time trying to get the Canon S5 camera. I love my Canon A670 Powershoot camera. It was cheap but a nice little camera.

Thanks,

David:D

Thanks,

I thought the SLR was too much for my taste for now but I am having a hard time trying to get the Canon S5 camera. I love my Canon A670 Powershoot camera. It was cheap but a nice little camera.

Thanks,

Hang in there, the S5 is a great camera!

DSLR offer a few advantages that make taking pictures easier; very fast startup, focus, shot to shot ( compared to P&S), better low light capability ( bigger sensor, irespective of megpixles #), flexibility ( flash, lenses ).

I was just looking thru some of the many photo magazines, there a some full page pictures taken with P&S. The person behind the camera is more important then the camera. The camera simply makes it easier to get "some" kind of shots.

luvtwotrvl

What I can say to you as a newbe myself take every thing you can get from this fourm...I have a nikon d40 and it was the best for me and my Alaskan trip..It allowed me just to keep snapping pic's without waiting because it snaps 2.5 frames per second...and when you are looking at a glacier claving or a hump back diving it makes a differance..You can see a link to my pic's in my sig

luvtwotrvl

What I can say to you as a newbe myself take every thing you can get from this fourm...I have a nikon d40 and it was the best for me and my Alaskan trip..It allowed me just to keep snapping pic's without waiting because it snaps 2.5 frames per second...and when you are looking at a glacier claving or a hump back diving it makes a differance..You can see a link to my pic's in my sig

D40 rocks, yesterday I would have surely missed a "kodak" moment if I was only carrying my pocket sized Casio. Caught not paying attention as the DW came around the corner in a half marathon finish, if it were not for D40 fast focus / shot would have missed a timeless picture.

Ken simply glows over this camera: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Now, I do not know that much about cameras but I can get this one for a little more in price as the S5 camera. Is the extra price worth it?

David - only you can make that determiniation based on your budget, preferences and needs. If you _DO_ go the dSLR route you might want also want to take a look at Olympus E510 2-lens kit and even the Sony or Pentax. The E520 kit is a little bit more than your S5 but it has in-body IS as well as 2 very capable lenses that cover 14-150 (28-300mm equiv).

And you SHOULD spend a bit of time with any dSLR to learn it as they are different than a P&S. Each has its strengths and weaknesses but they offer flexibility that is hard to match by P&S models.

Cheers

Chris in VA

Called yesterday, and salesman said I should get it next week. I can not wait..........love to hurry up and get the camera so I can get use to it before we head off to Alaska..............

Thanks again for ALL the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to cancel my order since they had no idea when they would get the cameras in. I would love to have it before I go on my next Alaskan cruise. The salesman was really not sure but said it might be after that before they would get anymore...........oh well

Still trying..........:D

David

I had to cancel my order since they had no idea when they would get the cameras in. I would love to have it before I go on my next Alaskan cruise. The salesman was really not sure but said it might be after that before they would get anymore...........oh well

Still trying..........:D

David

I saw this camera in Target in Cary the other day, have you checked the Rocky Mount Target?

MAC

Not yet, bring mainly looking online since it was a lot cheaper. I am looking also at the Canon Rebel SLR XSI if I can not get the S5 but of course, a little more expensive. Got one question. If I can find the S5 and get the camera can I use the same 58mm lenses on the Rebel XSI if I ever decide to get that one later on???

Thanks

David

Archived