Rays, Reef & Rum tour with 4 year old

rettstrunk

Hi, we are thinking of booking the Nativway Ray Reef and Rum tour. We have a four year old. Has anyone attended with a small child?? Was there enough shade on the boat if he does not go into the water?? Thanks!!

Hi, we are thinking of booking the Nativway Ray Reef and Rum tour. We have a four year old. Has anyone attended with a small child?? Was there enough shade on the boat if he does not go into the water?? Thanks!!

We just booked Nativeway's Stingray, Coral Gardens and Start Fish Snorkel and also will have a four year old so I'm hoping for some feedback also...

The tour itself is great but I'm not so sure I would recommend it for a 4 year old. First of all the water at the sand bar is about waist deep to a 6 footer. The string rays are about 3 to 4 foot across and could be intimidating. The reef portion would be out of the question because the snorkeling was in open water in about 10 foot of water. The day we were there the water is rough. The boat ride was very hot if you did not get in the shade.

My party of 10 did the rrr tour in January. There is shade on the boat. My mother and mother in law only got off the boat at rum point. The snorkeling was difficult because of the water being so rough. In stingray city my 7 and 10 year old were right in the water. I was holding them at times! but they enjoyed it. You could easily hold your son if you thought he wouldn't be too afraid. Rum point was beautiful and the food was good. My 12 year old wouln't get in with the stingrays because of the death of Steve Irwin, but he still enjoyed himself. The only part your son may miss out on would be the snorkeling. They do have life jackets and they throw a rope out to pull yourself back, but snorkeling was difficult for newbies trying to fight the rough water. If you think you would enjoy everything else I would go for it. Price is great. You see iguanas in the trees on the way back. My 7yo got to drive the boat and was thrilled. I would only not book it if you could be disappointed if the snorkeling doesn't work out. Sorry I've gone on and on. Just trying to help!!! Enjoy if you do it:)

Thanks for all your input. We have decided to book the trip with my 4 year old. I have reviewed many posts and they claim that the crew is great with kids and will even bring fish to show him. He will probably stay on board until we get to the beach but I think he will enjoy the ride and seeing the fish form the boat. We will be a party of 11 including a 4yo, 11, 13, 15, 16 & 16yo. Since the Cayman Islands are very expensive, I figure a boat ride, beach and lunch for $40 for a child is not bad. They give you a $5pp credit when you book 10 or more people.

Archived