Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
firsttimedb

Has anyone done this excursion in Juneau?

We are thinking of booking the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest in Juneau. I'd love to hear your experiences with this tour.

Was it worth it? Did you see whales and/or other wildlife? Did you have enough time at the glacier visitor center to explore trails and take pictures?

Non cruise ship tours are not an option for us as we are traveling with extended family who are only willing to do the tours through Princess.

Thanks for your input.

You get 45 minutes at the glacier, and whale watching (of humpbacks) is guaranteed at Juneau, so given your limitations it's a good choice.

We are doing the Glacier and Wildlife Quest. Not sure if it is exactly the same as the one you are thinking about or not. We are really looking forward to the excursion. It should combine a little bit of everything. We were not going to do a whale watch, since we had done one in '05 out of Seattle, but couldnt help ourself from booking another one.

We are doing the "Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest" booked through HAL. For some reason even though the Glacier is mentioned first, I pictured us doing the boat followed by Mendenhall. The trip info indicates one hour at the "glacier visitor center" which concerns me a little as we are "slow" museum visitors who tend to read and view everything. I also had assumed we would walk about a little but read that even the short hikes will take 30-40 minutes.

Has anyone done this specific excursion?

Is it possible, if Mendnhall is done last, to leave the tour at the glacier and take the shuttle back as a one way? I understand the city bus is a fair hike from the visitor's center so am thinking of the shuttle that I think is $22 round trip.

Eremita

I did the Princess "Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest" excursion on June 5. We did the whale watching portion first -- saw lots of humpback whales and orcas. In both instances, we stopped, they turned the engines off and we spent quite a while observing. It was amazing! :)

We went to the glacier on our way back to Juneau -- spent more than an hour at the glacier.

This excursion worked well for us -- I know people say to organize your own excursions, but I spend lots of time organizing things at home. When I am on vacation, it's nice to just show up and have someone else organize things!;)

We are thinking of booking the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest in Juneau. I'd love to hear your experiences with this tour.

Was it worth it? Did you see whales and/or other wildlife? Did you have enough time at the glacier visitor center to explore trails and take pictures?

Non cruise ship tours are not an option for us as we are traveling with extended family who are only willing to do the tours through Princess.

Thanks for your input.

I just came off the Island Princess. I didn't do any Princess tours. I know you said private tours are not an option. However, our whale watching tour in Juneau (with Harv & Marv) was on a 30' boat with only SIX passengers. The ship's tour had 100 passengers. Not sure if you will get the views of whales that you may want. Good luck. I know it is had choosing tours. One last thing. One of our traveling companions had the same thought - book through the cruise line. Her helicopter flights to the glacier were all cancelled because of a low ceiling. She spent her day in Juneau going back and forth to the airport in the hopes a flight/tour would go off. She cancelled the whale watching. She ended up on the verge of tears at day's end - no whales, no eagles, no glacier landing.

For anyone interested - I will post an Island Princess review later this week after washing all those dirty clothes!!;)

Kathleen

While my Princess excursion was almost full -- there was no problem seeing what was going on and taking lots of pictures. The whales and orcas were all around us -- even in a small boat you can't possibly get every shot! You have to enjoy the moment. We started out with some fog and showers -- ended in brilliant sunshine with orcas all around -- it doesn't get any better than that no matter what kind of excursion you take! :D These excursions go rain or shine.

Go with the excursion you feel comfortable with - DON'T feel pressured to take a particular excursion (whether through the ship or personally arranged).

Go - relax - enjoy!

thanks for the responses. Now I'm wondering the same thing as Eremita.

Could we take the princess tour and decide to stay back at the glacier visitor center for another hour and then take the shuttle one way to the dock. The actual tour is over about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before we need to be back on the ship.

Or if I decide to book with orca enterprises or harv and marv would they drop us off at the glacier visitor center and we can take the shuttle back?