Best pictures of public indoor spots on ship

• 3 weeks later...

We called this the "Bug Room" on the Solstice. The music was inter-mixed with cricket sounds. The walls were painted with flowers, vines, moths...all in exquisite detail. The ants on the floor were etched into the marble and gold-filled. Very interesting!

large.jpg

Wall detail:

large.jpg

Dave

Pierces, I do not know how I have missed your PPT photos all this time. I have been posting, I think, since February. They are fantastic, and, strangely, exactly the kind of photos I like to take. My sister has reminded me her family likes pictures with people in them, so I will have to make a strong effort. I appreciate your post about using auto most of the time on your Konica-Minolta, because I have the 5D, and was hoping I wouldnt have to do a lot of fiddling with settings to get some good shots. Although I am going to have to spend some time reviewing all those settings. Let me ask, did you have any problem managing your camera on excursions? Do you pack it in your gear bag or just take the camera? What about all the rain? Do you have a "raincoat" for your KM? Thanks

Jayne

Pierces, I do not know how I have missed your PPT photos all this time. I have been posting, I think, since February. They are fantastic, and, strangely, exactly the kind of photos I like to take. My sister has reminded me her family likes pictures with people in them, so I will have to make a strong effort. I appreciate your post about using auto most of the time on your Konica-Minolta, because I have the 5D, and was hoping I wouldnt have to do a lot of fiddling with settings to get some good shots. Although I am going to have to spend some time reviewing all those settings. Let me ask, did you have any problem managing your camera on excursions? Do you pack it in your gear bag or just take the camera? What about all the rain? Do you have a "raincoat" for your KM? Thanks

Jayne

Thanks!

My travel method involves taking a larger case or bag and a LowePro Slingshot 200AW (fairly small) to get my cameras to the ship. When I go on shore or on excursions I repack what I need for the day in the Slingshot which is very easy to access. As for rain, I carry a couple of Op/Tech USA Rainsleeves for emergencies and I have a Tenba RC-14 rain cover for the camera plus zoom for whale watching and such. The Slingshot has a pull-out rain cover that is really quick and easy to deploy.

As for using Auto...not quite. I shoot 99% of the time on Aperture-priority so I can control depth of field and I use exposure compensation to lighten or darken. The camera figures out shutter speed for me, so I don't need to watch more than the aperture setting that way. The 5D, or any SLR will do just fine on any of the auto or semi-auto settings.

If you like the PPTPhoto shots, there are a bunch more over on my PBase share site. (http://www.pbase.com/pierce324)

Happy shooting! The KM5D is a great camera! If you have any Minolta/Sony lens and accessory questions, feel free to post. I've been shooting Minolta since the '70s. :D

Dave

Thanks for the info, Dave. I checked out the other site too. I have had a rare Saturday off, and have been on the puter way too long. I can always tell when my mouse finger starts getting a crick in it :). I think I will try to get out and do some shooting and try staying on aperture priority. That makes sense. I love my KM, wouldnt even consider anything else, and I need to use it more, and get comfortable with all the controls, and develop a mode I am comfortable with. Auto is just too easy, and a real cop out when there are much more suitable settings if one takes the time to work with them. Thanks again.

Jayne

BTW, I was thinking about one of the sling type cases. Wasn't sure how easy they would be to use. Plan on using my big camera case, a boxy type, as my second allowed carry on, so it will act as a purse also, unless I find a slingshot and get comfortable with it.

• 3 months later...

Well, since this thread is back up top again, and I haven't posted to it since my 2007 cruise, I might as well add the interior shots from my last cruise at the end of 2008. Here are the Noordam interiors:

Atrium:

105792247.jpg

Library:

105792241.jpg

Explorations Cafe:

105792243.jpg

Vista Lounge:

105792244.jpg

Ocean Bar:

105792246.jpg

Hallway:

105792251.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
how do you get all of these wonderful shots without people in them ??

You usually have to be around at the wee hours of the morning, when most are still sleeping or hungover :D.

Archived