Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RevNeal

RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

Today we were in Hamburg. It was rainy and very humid. We didn't do much. After lunch in the Tamarind I spent the day wandering the ship and talking with friends and getting a nap. Then, I got up and got dressed and went out for drinks in the Ocean Bar. Service in the bar was VERY slow, and Grumpy and Slinky never were able to place an order even though they sat there for over 40 minutes, waiting.

Dinner in the Main Dining room was about as bad as first night, if not a bit slower. The food was ok (my steak was overcooked), the conversation excellent, but the service was slow Slow SLOW SSSSLLLLOOOWWWW. It took almost half the meal to get a win order in and filled. That's CRAZY.

After dinner we went up to the Crows Nest and sat and chatted about future cruise plans while waiting for the City of Hamburg's Fireworks show, which began at 10:45 pm and lasted until 11 pm, when the Eurodam set sail. We then made our way down to the Northern Lights for a couple hours of dancing and having fun. The Northern Lights redesign is a mix of good and strange and not-so-good. I'll detail more with photos, later, but suffice it to say that we did have a good time anyway and danced and chatted (yelled at each other to be heard) until 1 am. Children, however, were present in the disco even past midnight, though they were with their parents so I'm sure it was "ok."

Tomorrow promises to be a nice, busy day at sea with Team Trivia, etc., to occupy us as we make our way toward our next port of call -- Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen ... and the rest of our dear CCer friends. Tomorrow Night is "CC-Formal night," however I don't think it will make much of a difference. People on the ship are really dressing up every night. I noticed quite a few suits and ties and such throughout the ship and in the main dining room tonight, with many of those men who were not in suit in tie wearing slacks, sports jacket, and nice shirt. That's one of the observations that several have made ... the large number of people who are dressing up this cruise. It's a nice sight and it does match the atmosphere that HAL has tried to create aboard this ship.

Are you using internet from your cabin, or do you need to go elsewhere to get a decent wifi signal? If from your cabin, how close are you to one of those hallway white cone antennas (or access points or transponders or whatever you choose to call them)? Thanks. :)

I'm accessing the internet from my cabin, no problem, and a fairly good signal too. I've not sen one of the cone antennas in the hall ... I'll have to be more observant for that.

You mentioned Brian and Scotty have a deluxe veranda suite. What type of room do you and Christopher have? A mini suite? A veranda suite? Can you describe how it compares to the Vista Class cabins?

I'm in a G-category Outside cabin on Deck 4, midships (4104). We have a partially obstructed view, meaning that I have a view out between two tenders and that there is some equipment directly in front of my window. However, the window is a very wide floor-to-ceiling window (taking most of the exterior wall). I love these cabins. They are very similar to the outside with Verandah cabin, minus the Verandah.

We had originally booked an aft Verandah Cabin (VA category) but changed our minds when the cruise was extended from 10 to 23. $$$, you understand.

Given that the Signature class ship is just an upgraded Vista, the cabins are VERY similar. The interior decor differs somewhat from a Vista's, but the arrangements are almost the same. Can't say which I prefer as of yet. Give me a week or more before I state one way or another.

To sum it all up so far: a lovely ship, horrible service, Lido is a disaster, cabanas are a distraction, maybe this does not belong in the HAL fleet?

Oh my goodness......the ship has sailed a total of two days and you're booting her out of the fleet already??? :eek:

Wy don't we give the crew a bit of a chance! They need to learn their rhythmn and become familiar with their new ship and each other. Eurodam will shake out just fine as have all the other HAL ships.

Greg,

Thanks for posting. I also appreciate your observations. Hope you can get dining times arranged for the next cruise segments!

Rev, it was great to briefly meet you at the ceremony but I hope to get with all of you more while you're here. Feel free to call my ships phone at 74610 and we'll plan to get together again. WELCOME TO MY HOME! I hope you enjoy it!

Nathan

Please excuse the thread jacking, but, Nathan, how did you find a job with HAL? My sister doesn't know where to start! lol

I finally have some free time to check one of the threads about the Eurodam and I have to wade through 5 PAGES of posts on unrelated topics or posts that add no real information on the Eurodam. I can't believe how many people post just for the sake of posting. There was no information about the didication until post 112 and no info on the ship until 171 (I think that number is correct).

I have my fireproof underwear on, so flame away.

And what did your post contribute?? :confused:

What is wrong with this photograph?
:D :D :D Somebody doesn't know their aft from a hole in the ground!

I've not sen one of the cone antennas in the hall ...
I should say they're truncated cones ... like a 5" styrofoam cup.

I sure hope this gets better for you because I am sure you spent alot of $$$ for this cruise. I always thought the best of the best were the chosen crew on a new ship. It sounds like the service you are receiving would never be acceptable on any cruise line. I can't imagine 23 days of this; thank goodness you have alot of friends to visit with.

Oh I so love the photos, Greg!!! Great to see Slinkie ... please say a big hi to her from me:) .

Looks like a beautiful ship and you're enjoying new good friends so despite a few problems, how bad can it be???;) :) :) Not bad, not bad at all.

Enjoy your leisurely day at sea tomorrow!

And what did your post contribute?? :confused:

LOL well at least we know he has flame proof underwear! Someone posted a procedure on how you can exclude all posts but what you want to read. I thought this would be great for topspot, but now I can't find the post! Does anyone know how to do that...or was I dreaming it??

Dianne

I sure hope this gets better for you because I am sure you spent alot of $$$ for this cruise. I always thought the best of the best were the chosen crew on a new ship. It sounds like the service you are receiving would never be acceptable on any cruise line. I can't imagine 23 days of this; thank goodness you have alot of friends to visit with.
Given that 80% of the crew is experienced and it is so much like a Vista, I would have thought things would go much smoother ... :confused:

This has little to do with the Eurodam and Rev. Neal's excellent review, but I'm convinced that my body emantes some mysterious cosmic rays that attract children who kick seats. If I am on a plane and there is one child in the hemisphere who kicks seats, it is a law of nature that said child will be seated behind me. This, coupled with the person in front of me who must, I repeat must recline his/her seat is proof of the existence of my cosmic rays!

On a recent flight a parent told me that they couldn't control their toddler. (I had already asked him very gently to stop kicking.) I suggested that they review which was the parent and which was the child! Luckily, about half way between LA and Chicago, the little one fell asleep.

Would you please sit next to me:confused: Then I could repeat Maxwell Smart's remark, "Missed me by THAT much! :mad:

Photographs continued:

edam25.jpg

HINT -- what you see is actually what you find to be the case.

Another HINT -- This is located next to the aft port-side elevators, just outside the main dining room on deck 3.

Yet Another HINT -- When one is looking at it, one is facing port.

Perhaps it is similar to the scene in the third "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie where they had to flip the ship at sundown since down was up and up was down. Maybe forward has become the stern and aft has become the bow. Perhaps the sign maker was dyslexic. Who knows? :D :D :D

Have fun on your cruise. We're considering cruising the Eurodam in November. We'll look forward to hearing the entire review at the end.

Great pictures Greg, thanks for posting them. So glad to hear passengers are dressing up for dinner, gives me hope that formal nights will continue.

There may be a better way to just read one posters post, but one way would be to click on his name and click on his posts.

'Crew best of best on new ship'===That's what I thought:mad: Booked an NCL on the 2nd ship of the type assuming NCL would transfer half the crew from the old (1 year) to help train the new. WRONG They hired people I don't think had been to sea.:mad:

"Ocean bar...40 minutes and didn't get served""Wine service in dining slow" So much for the argument that the cruise companies use the bar profits for anything except pocket money.:(

Great running commentary, hope things get better!:)

Photographs continued:

edam25.jpg

HINT -- what you see is actually what you find to be the case.

Another HINT -- This is located next to the aft port-side elevators, just outside the main dining room on deck 3.

Yet Another HINT -- When one is looking at it, one is facing port.

Greg, maybe you should be the one to point this out to Stan Kuppens and maybe he would give this one to you as a souvenir:D This could bring in a high dollar on eBay

I finally have some free time to check one of the threads about the Eurodam and I have to wade through 5 PAGES of posts on unrelated topics or posts that add no real information on the Eurodam. I can't believe how many people post just for the sake of posting. There was no information about the didication until post 112 and no info on the ship until 171 (I think that number is correct).

I have my fireproof underwear on, so flame away.

Well, your post is guaranteed to bring the thread back on topic.... :rolleyes:

To sum it all up so far: a lovely ship, horrible service, Lido is a disaster, cabanas are a distraction, maybe this does not belong in the HAL fleet?

Don't all new ships have problems on the first voyages.? I remember reading about all the problems on the Queen Victoria after her launch.

Oh my goodness......the ship has sailed a total of two days and you're booting her out of the fleet already??? :eek:

I think he meant the cabanas need to go. ;)

RevNeal, you have such wonderful pics. Thank you for sharing your observations. I appreciate your opinions. That sign is proof that you pay attention to details.

Thank you for taking the time to post. I hope the dining room experience will get better soon. Two thumbs up to everyone who is dressing up for dinner on this very special cruise.

I have to say that the Cabanas just look like a way for HAL to make money. The cabanas are out of place and confining. I'm surprised they tried to kick Rev Neil out of there when he was enjoying his hot breaifast that had turned cold in his search for a table.

I've just been a lurker on this thread, but must say thanks for the photos - it's wonderful to see a new ship. Could you post a photo of your cabin; I've never seen the ones with floor-to-ceiling windows. I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your journey.

Does the menu in the dining room appear to be the same across the fleet, or are there special offerings for the inaugural voyage?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)