Need to lose 30 pounds before 2/6/2009 need buddies!

Apologies for being away so long...there was a major shake-up at my job, my 2-year-old daughter started speech therapy and daily swim lessons, and I got SUPER busy!

Anyway, I tried the 2-week Special K diet and lost 3.4 pounds. Not as much as I was hoping for, but I'll take what I can. This morning, I weighed myself and was down another pound, even without the Special K, so I am at least encouraged.

I am down to 168, with my goal being 145 by May 2009. I have been doing 45-minute spinning classes 2-3 times per week, and my clothes are starting to fit differently. A size 12 (which was my pre-baby size) now fits without being obscene, though some pants/shorts are a little snug.

Hi to all....

I've had a hectic period of life...my husband's mom just passed away after going through a fast decline after Mother's Day. Funeral was this past Tuesday. Anyway, I love checking in and reading the posts but I decided to stick to posting my weigh-ins on the "Need a Buddy" thread that I started out on in June. I can't seem to keep up with two threads and forget what I posted on which one. Anyway, I thought I'd post a short one here and say that I'm still sticking with it, progressively refining my plan, tweaking it to increase water intake, checking my calorie consumption periodically, eating healthy. I finally broke out of the plateau that I was stuck in! Lost 1 lb. last week, and one or even more this week. My next weigh in on the other thread is Monday.

I notice my pants are getting looser! I have these favorite comfy pants--black Liz Claiborne--with a drawstring waist. They are supposed to be "flowy" but have been stuck to my thighs and behind like glue! I put them on this weekend and notice that they are moving around a bit. That made me feel great! I get anxious for time to pass but have to remind myself to be patient. Very hard!

Last weigh-in post:

Started June 3rd

SW: 188

LW: 180

CW: 177.5

GW: 125/135

It's been a thrill to pass the 10 lb. loss point! I haven't lost 10 lbs. in a LONG time. 10 more to my pre-cruise weight from 2007, then downward to my goal.

Hang in their everyone. I've noticed that a lot of people disappear and wonder if they've given up. No way to get to the goal without persevering! I'll be checking in periodically to see how you all are doing.

Oh, one more thing....has anyone done a headcount to see how many people are still posting their losses? I want to do that for our thread.

Hi Everyone,

I hope I can join your group too?? Several years ago I joined a thread here and lost about 25 lbs before my cruise and the encouragement and weigh in really helped. I am now up 15 from that time and would like to lose it yet again. You all seem really nice. Salsa, I am also 5'2 but all my extra is in my waist!

Would like to lose as much as I can for my 10/5/08 cruise.

I am going to start NOW and will also post on Monday weigh in. I hope that is ok.

SW (I just jumped on the scale) - 8/16/08: 156

CW: 156

GW: 140 (or less!)

Just reading the previous pages has finally got me motivated! You are all doing great.

I usually do Atkins as that has always given me the best results. Thanks!!

Hi, Mag!

I just wanted to post a quick reply to say "welcome" and that I sailed on The Big Red Boat for my first cruise (1995 honeymoon), and was also aboard the Carnival Miracle in April 2004.

My goal weight is close to yours, too - 145.

Thanks for the welcome!! I really am determined to stay on track...cause of course I have been a little out of control...you ladies are all doing so well that I want to stay motivated with you.

Hang tough Lady Jag! Welcome Mag!!

I did good this week. Down another pound. I am hoping to kick it up to 2 pounds a week here soon otherwise it is going to be a real long haul...but a pound is still a pound! :rolleyes:

Two friends from work decided to join WW online since they don't get into the meeting thing. That's what helps me-the support of other's in the same situation. This will be their first week so I'm hoping they have success.

My friend Linda who has so much to lose, the one with rheumatoid arthritis, is now back on Prednisone which is causing her to bloat and be hungry 24/7 so she has pretty much given up. :mad: Bummer.

Keep up the great work everyone!!

Troggie

Thank you for the welcome and I know I really like the motivation and support I had found on these boards last time I lost the weight. So please keep posting...I need it!

I started very strict Atkins this past Sunday to give myself a kick start for at least the first week or two. As of today, I am down 5 lbs. although I am sure some of that is water. But it has got me feeling good. My walking buddy just called me and we'll be out walking again today for about an hour so that helps. Also just treated myself to an ipod shuffle and loaded a party mix that we put together for my DD's graduation party. I hate to walk alone but I now really like to walk alone (if I have to) with my ipod!!

Current: 151

Start: 156

Last: 156

Goal: 140 (or less)

Thank you for the welcome and I know I really like the motivation and support I had found on these boards last time I lost the weight. So please keep posting...I need it!

I started very strict Atkins this past Sunday to give myself a kick start for at least the first week or two. As of today, I am down 5 lbs. although I am sure some of that is water. But it has got me feeling good. My walking buddy just called me and we'll be out walking again today for about an hour so that helps. Also just treated myself to an ipod shuffle and loaded a party mix that we put together for my DD's graduation party. I hate to walk alone but I now really like to walk alone (if I have to) with my ipod!!

Current: 151

Start: 156

Last: 156

Goal: 140 (or less)

Hi mag....I got an Ipod for my birthday and still haven't loaded it up. I love music and even though I'm 50, I have pretty eclectic taste and quite a mix. I'm buying the tunes and burning my own cds for now. I'm going to start a fresh thread asking what others have on their iPod...what music gets them going. I always end up picking up new tunes from reading other people's lists.

Hey Salsa...what do you mean "even though I am 50"??? You make it sound like that is old! NOT!

I love my little ipod shuffle and responded to your workout tunes thread. Will give you more suggestions when my memory is working better (maybe I AM getting old).

Hey Salsa...what do you mean "even though I am 50"??? You make it sound like that is old! NOT!

I love my little ipod shuffle and responded to your workout tunes thread. Will give you more suggestions when my memory is working better (maybe I AM getting old).

\

You know, Mag, you are absolutely right. Why DID I say "even though I'm 50"? I think I've hit a mental snag this year with turning FIVE-OH. I keep saying stuff like that and thinking stuff like that and I never talked that way before. My husband and I went to a dance studio (we take lessons and practice at the dances) and I've heard myself say to younger partners, "I'm OLD." Wow, I've got to correct myself. What you say affects how you think and vice-versa. 50 isn't old. It's the new 30, I say! :) I grew up in the 60's when 30 was called "over the hill" so maybe that is the problem.;)

Hi gang!

Salsa-the reason I am going on my cruise in February is cos I am celebrating my 50th birthday!:D Can't wait! DH turns 50 in November and he isn't too happy. I keep telling him that 50 is the new 30 but he isn't buying it.

Doing great on WW...SW 193.8 CW 186.2 :):):) just starting week 5.

I have an mp3 my son gave my for Christmas. He had pre-loaded the music he knew I liked so I never really had to learn how to do it. I need to learn, though.

School starts here next week so that means I am back to work. Nope-not a teacher. I am a computer lab manager for grades 3-5. It is a blast. There is nothing more cool than "teaching" a 3rd grader to make a power point presentation!!:D

162 days till I leave for my trip. Leaving a couple days before the cruise and coming home three days after we disembark. FUN!!

Keep up the good work on weight loss everyone!

Troggie

Hi gang!

Salsa-the reason I am going on my cruise in February is cos I am celebrating my 50th birthday!:D Can't wait! DH turns 50 in November and he isn't too happy. I keep telling him that 50 is the new 30 but he isn't buying it.

Doing great on WW...SW 193.8 CW 186.2 :):):) just starting week 5.

I have an mp3 my son gave my for Christmas. He had pre-loaded the music he knew I liked so I never really had to learn how to do it. I need to learn, though.

School starts here next week so that means I am back to work. Nope-not a teacher. I am a computer lab manager for grades 3-5. It is a blast. There is nothing more cool than "teaching" a 3rd grader to make a power point presentation!!:D

162 days till I leave for my trip. Leaving a couple days before the cruise and coming home three days after we disembark. FUN!!

Keep up the good work on weight loss everyone!

Troggie

Hi Troggie! I just read your post and see that you are doing great with your weight loss! I got very excited this week because I didn't drop any weight for Monday weigh-in (stayed the same), but have dropped 2 lbs. since Monday. I started at 188, 12 weeks ago and am now at 175! I have "mini" goals set so this is now my 3rd mini! My next will be 169! then 165! Approaching 15 lbs. off is really exciting to me. I know that my scale reads low so I likely weigh about the same as you do now, but I am posting and weighing in with the scale that I've been using for years. It's too deflating to post my weight from my husband's digital. The main thing I focus on is the total pounds lost--13!

Yay for turning 50! What a way to celebrate. I'll be 51 by our next cruise. I think 50 hits each of us differently. Overall it's been fine but I do find that I have to announce it to everyone like it's the plague or something. "Bring out your dead!" "But I'm only 50!" (you'd have to get Monty Python to get that.)

This has been a weird summer....cooler than normal. I never even got to the beach once and have to remedy that soon. Can you imagine what next summer is going to feel like for both of us? Lake Michigan here I come! It will be my first summer (2009), since my 20's? that I would be able to be excited to go to the beach. I'm going to stock up on swimsuits and Coppertone. Have you ever heard of Rosy Mound Park? It's really nice....south of Grand Haven beach. A nice long hike in on nice paths and beautiful beach.

Hi there!

Yes, I have heard of Rosey Mound Park. Never been there though.

We didn't have WW this week because of Labor Day and I refuse to look at my scale since it was so off kilter before. I am going to wait till next Monday for my up-to-date weigh in.

What's happened to all our peeps? Haven't heard from Lady Jag, tomko2, cruizinTamela, susie2shoes, tlovesdis, cruizin4sun, skippy0824, froggielovescruising, carduchi, annieee, onceagain, m1key,or mag in a LONG time. Did they get so skinny they can't chat with us fluffier folks??????:cool:

155 days until I leave for my trip:D:D:D

See you next chat.

Troggie

Did they get so skinny they can't chat with us fluffier folks??????:cool:

Ha! I wish! LOL!

I am here, sorry I haven't posted! I am still struggling with the plateau! It's going on 4 months now! Two weeks ago I gained 4.4 and this past week I lost 5! I am .4 away from 60 pounds! I had a doctors appointment and was taken off all of my diabetes meds, which is awesome, but my thyroid is fine and I was actually hoping it was the reason I have been pleateuing, but NOOOOO, doc says it's just my body and eventually it will cooperate!

Hi Everyone,

I am still here just have been really busy. Still trying to stick to my eating plan and walking plan. I have been doing well but the weight seems to be sticking!

current: 150

start: 156

last: 151

goal: 140 (or less)

I have 31 days til my cruise and don't thing I'll make my goal but all my clothes now fit great and hopefully I can lose a couple more before I go so that I have some wiggle room to have some treats on the cruise.

Hey t, that is a BIG and wonderful thing that you can be off your meds!! Good for you. I have a thyroid issue and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Easy to control with meds but if for some crazy reason I forget to take them 2 or more days in a row...boy I can really feel that my body is off...both mentally and physically.

I have been talking to my DH about looking at cruises for March of 09. Every six months (if I can afford it) seems to keep my weigh from going up too too much! We have some airline miles and hotel points that need to be used or will expire...so we have to go somewhere, right???

Salsa and Troggie, also looks like you just keep going down...good for you! How is everyone else doing???

It has been awhile since I posted; have been active with golf (1 -2 times a week) and tennis (2xweek) but lots of struggling with evening eating.

Sadly one of my brothers died last Monday; my Sis came to stay with us for the week (left yesterday) and my MIL arrives tonight for a 2 week visit. My DH has been trying to encourage me to stop munching after dinner which is good.

SW 164.5 (July 5th)

LW 163.5

CW 162.0

GW 150.0

Glad so many of you are doing well. I like the mini-goals approach. So am aiming to lose 3 lbs while my MIL is here.

Kathy

Hey Tomko-sorry about the loss of your brother. I have lost all my siblings and know it is a rotten experience. After my last sister passed away I ate myself into oblivion. :( Hang tough and you will get through this.

On the positive side-lost another 8/10 of a pound! :) I need to kick it up a few notches to be at goal by 2/6/09 but slow and steady wins the race.

Have a great week everyone!

Troggie

Hi,

Kathy I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. I lost my sister 5 years ago and still have a hole in my heart. Hang in there.

My efforts are paying off it seems. Down some more. It helps that I am 25 days out from my cruise and that is my incentive...

current: 149 (yay! never want to see that 5 again!)

start: 156

last: 150

goal: 140 (or less)

I hope everyone is doing well and watching the scale go down...I know how tough it is.

Have a great day,

Mary Ann

Hey Tomko-sorry about the loss of your brother. I have lost all my siblings and know it is a rotten experience. After my last sister passed away I ate myself into oblivion. :( Hang tough and you will get through this.

On the positive side-lost another 8/10 of a pound! :) I need to kick it up a few notches to be at goal by 2/6/09 but slow and steady wins the race.

Have a great week everyone!

Troggie

Hi Troggie...I'm stuck in a plateau again. This is my second. The first one lasted 5 weeks. Right now, this one is lasting 3+ weeks...weigh-ins are on Monday on the "Need a Buddy" thread; so we'll see. Sounds like you are doing well. I'm weighing 177 right now and was down to 175 mid-week last week. I'm starting to feel this worried feeling because I've been averaging 1 lb. per week, for the most part. I was okay with that but have been counting the weeks and realized that I won't be at my goal doing this. I don't know whether to cut my calories further or not. I'm not sure how low I can REASONABLY go without having to deal with further plateaus. I seriously wondered if 1,000 calories per day...as long as I got plenty of protein, fiber, calcium, and vitamins with fruits and veggies...would work. If anyone has an opinion on this, I'd like to know. I have always believed that I have had a slow metabolism and really don't need as much fuel as others, but I also lean toward doing everything sensibly. 1200 seems to be a standard, but we aren't cookie-cutter people so maybe a bit fewer would be better for me?

I don't know what my last post said but I'm at 177 right now. BTW, our forum has "thinned-out" a lot, too, but I think people get busy in the summer and don't post as often. There are seven of us who have posted steadily, though.

P.S. If you ever go to Rosy Mound...you'll get a real workout on the stair-climbs to the beach!

Ha! I wish! LOL!

I am here, sorry I haven't posted! I am still struggling with the plateau! It's going on 4 months now! Two weeks ago I gained 4.4 and this past week I lost 5! I am .4 away from 60 pounds! I had a doctors appointment and was taken off all of my diabetes meds, which is awesome, but my thyroid is fine and I was actually hoping it was the reason I have been pleateuing, but NOOOOO, doc says it's just my body and eventually it will cooperate!

Hi Tina...That is incredible news about the diabetes meds! WOW! I understand the plateau because I've been there in past years. I had a 5 week one recently, and now am in a 3 week one (so far). Some people don't believe that plateaus are for real. I like math and can grab a calculator and figure it all out and believe that I just HAVE TO lose weight "this week" but can watch the week go right on by and leave me at the same weight. I believe plateaus are for real. I had a long plateau once and went away with my sister (shopping mall trip) and we walked a lot, plus ate two meals a day...big meals but healthy (lots of salad). She was watching me and I was watching her so we really did well with our food choices. That weekend snapped me out of that long-standing, frustrating plateau. I wonder if there could be any "secret" formula or something that I could learn from that experience. Maybe a switch to two meals a day with a mid-day snack for only 2 or 3 days would do it. I'm thinking on this. If this plateau lasts much longer, I'm going to give it a shot. With my weekend away, I dropped 7 more really fast right after the plateau ended. Hang tough!

I'm just starting my dieting (last week) and hope to lose a minimum of 30 lbs by my cruise on February 21. I am 55 yrs old and my weight over the last few years has skyrocketed. I weigh more now than I have ever weighed in my life. I am on the South Beach diet and had a successful first week of 7.5 lbs loss. Sure a lot of it is fluid, especially as I had returned from vacation, but it's still a good incentive. I was so embarrassed to put on a bathing suit during vacation. My clothes were uncomfortable. I am DETERMINED I will lose at least 30 lbs before our cruise, which is for our 35th wedding anniversary. I have longer term goals, but need to take it in baby steps. My goal is 25 by Christmas and then 30 lbs by February 21. Then I return from the cruise, lose my cruise lbs and an additional 10 lbs before September trip I have planned.

Are you doing a weekly weigh in now are has that fizzled? I need your help to keep me focused!!!!

Marlene

Welcome NanaofBKM! There are a few of us still working hard on our weight loss. I am down another pound this week. I keep hoping it will be some fabulous loss of 5 or 6 pounds but at least I am steady.

Plateaus are a super drag. Been there, done that. Just hang tough and change up the routine. That's what usually does it for me.

Nana-what kind of diet are you doing? I am on Weight Watchers (WW) flex.

Keep on losin' everyone!

Troggie

Archived