firsttimedb

internet access?

This will be our first cruise. We are sailing on Princess Sapphire to Alaska. I think there is an internet cafe. How does that work? Do I need to have a laptop? Or would there be a computer I can use to access the internet? If so, will there be a charge? I will need to access a website to submit something for work once during the week and do not have a laptop.

This will be our first cruise. We are sailing on Princess Sapphire to Alaska. I think there is an internet cafe. How does that work? Do I need to have a laptop? Or would there be a computer I can use to access the internet? If so, will there be a charge? I will need to access a website to submit something for work once during the week and do not have a laptop.

I suggest you go to the Princess cruiseline specific board. (Find it on the opening list of boards on this site. ) You'll get all the help and advice you need re your specific ship. Have fun!

In general, yes there will be a computer that you can use.. Does it cost, YES!! It usually is not cheap by any means and the connection speed is along the lines of dial up.. If it is for work then you are not on vacation.. I would beg off of the work task.. IMHO of course... The second poster has some good advice, check with the cruise line and the ship you will be on for the exact information you seek.. This was just a general answer...

You can also find this information on the Princess website. It is always a good idea to read EVERYTHING on your cruiseline website, especially in the FAQ area. All Carnival brands have the same fee structure although accessiblilty will differ with class of ship. EM

Do I need to have a laptop?
You may take one along, but I refuse to lug one with me....I am on vacation.
Or would there be a computer I can use to access the internet?
The internet cafe onboard has nice desktop computers for you to use on a first come first served basis. On rare occasion you may have to wait a few minutes to get one.
If so, will there be a charge?
Yes, the charges start about US $.75 per minute. Less if you buy a package plan. And there is a $3-5 setup fee.

Many experienced cruisers rely on shore side Internet Cafe's which are plentiful, cheaper and much faster (say "broadband") than the ones on the ship. Somehow, there always seems to be such an establishment within a short walk from the ship. How mysterious! ;)

The Princess ships have an internet cafe onboard and do have WIFI for most of the staterooms. The internet cafe has computers you can use but for a price. It is not cheap and it is very slow (dialup speed at best). If you have to load a website with graphics of any kind, be very patient as it will take awhile.

The suggestion to use a shore based internet cafe is good as they will most likely have true high speed internet and the cost will be much more reasonable. The down side is that it could be crowded and you will spend time waiting for access to a computer.

Above all remember that internet access from the ship or form a shore based internet cafe is not really that secure. If you are sending company confidential information, realize that it could be compromised. You have absolutely no control over network security. You may not want to send company confidential information.

I agree with a previous poster. You are on vacation. Leave the work at the office and tell them you are inaccessable. :eek:

When you own your own buisness sometimes you have to work. I know I am going to have to check e-mails daily. I read a post the otherday that said the library in juneau has free internet. Also in Juneau the heritage Coffee co. www.heritagecofee.com. I found this in Alaska for Dummies. It also says that in Skagway they have internet service at Alaska Cruise Ship Service at Second Avenue and State St. I am not sure if they have terminals or if you need a lap top. Alaka for Dummies has some great info in it.

All the libraries I have been in in the USA have terminals available as well as WiFi. I would imagine the library in Juneau is the same. The coffee shop you mentioned probably only has WiFi meaning you will have to provide your own laptop. If PCs are provided, they may be occupied so bringing your own laptop will make it quicker.

WiFi particularly free is not secure. It can and sometimes is monitored by dweebs who have no life other than to harass others. I would be careful what you do online. Using passwords or accessing your banking records probably is not a great idea. :eek:

Having retired from the computer industry, I understand the need sometimes to be connected to the office. Luckily I always managed to avoid it. :)

Having experinced this on our last 2 cruises, with passengers traveling with us...

1. Access is expensive.
  2. Connection speed is poor.
  3. Connection itself is unstable.

Unless you have something mission critical that absolutely has to be done, or if you're merely checking for a critical email, don't even bother with attempting to use the ships internet "access". You will save yourself much frustration...