waterproofing spray

firsttimedb

I've read about people using a waterproofing spray for sneaks. I'm assuming I can buy this in a store like Wal-Mart? Will it ruin the sneaks? They are fairly new. Also, someone suggested spraying jeans. Does this have an adverse effect on clothing? Has anyone done this before and did it work?

Thanks

Waterproofing spray is really more like water repellant spray. :) Same as what you would spray on your winter boots (but not for leather) if you live somewhere you need to have winter boots. Won't hurt your shoes and although I've never tried it on clothes, I'm sure it won't hurt a pair of jeans - it will wash right out.

Is this something you can wait until you get to Alaska to purchase? Let me re-phrase, I know you can purchase it somewhere in Alaska (WalMart?) But does it take time to set into the clothes/shoes? or is it more like spray anf go type stuff?

Trying to weed things out of the luggage.

Thanks, Paul

I would go to a outdoor sporting goods or fishing tackle shop and see what they recommend. I can't think of anything that would ruin a pair of shoes though and I would just spray them once or twice before I left and leave the can at home.

My sister sprayed her new New Balance Athletic shoes that she bought for the trip. It did not hurt them. She sprayed two coats and that worked well. I sprayed our backpacks and was SO GLAD I DID!!!! We had a fair amount of rain and it was nice to see the droplets just roll right off. I bought our waterproofing spray at Cabelas. It can be found at many stores.

We bought a can at Academy Sports in the camping section.

I do recall that for white shoes it might cause a yellowing.

I used it on an old rain coat that I brought to the Baltic's this June.

The coat came in hand several days.

Also sprayed 2 light coats on Merrell shoes - to prevent grease stains.

Wore them in the rain with no ill effects.

Guess I'll give it a whirl on our back pack and jeans for Alaska in August.

It doesn't hurt your clothes and shoes. It's the also the stuff that makes clothes stain resistant, so I may spray my son's khakis to guard against spills at dinner.

My question on an earlier post is do we need rain pants, or are waterproofed track pants sufficient?

Archived