proof needed to justify resident discount

jmsnyc

Hi,

I noticed RCC has some good residents for Floridians. The agent said I either needed a driver's license or a deed. My parents do have a house in Fla but my name is not on the deed nor do I have a driver's license. Do you know if they will accept post office processed mail or anything else?

Do they even check ?

It sounds like not even worth the hassle.

If you live in Florida, you have an electric company bill addressed to you. A water or telephone bill? A renters homeowners insurance policy. There are obvious identifications you can use if you are a resident of Florida. If you do not have a drivers license, your Registry of Motor Vehicles surely offers a photo ID that is used by non-drivers for exactly these purposes.

Whenever I write a check in a store, I need to produce my license....what do you use? We even have to produce our license to buy Sudafed at a pharmacy in MA. (Sales are limited so people cannot get huge quantitites in order to make methamphetimine from it. :eek: )There are occassions in life when you need ID and I'm sure you have something besides a passport and if you don't, you should. IMO

:D On the other hand, if you are 'trying to pull a fasty' (and I am NOT saying you are), they know people will try it and, therefore, yes.....they will check to confirm your residentcy. There is no 'hassle' as you put it if you legitimately qualify.

Sounds like you are trying to beat the system. If you dont have a ID or Drivers license from FL they know you dont live there.

We have a house in Fla. But I do not live there permanently. Unfortunately, bills are in my mom's name. I could switch the bill to my name but it would take too long. I figured if I sent a piece of mail there, I could use the addressed envelope as proof. It works for DMV since postal carriers are supposed to deliver mail to people that live there unless it says c/o (care of). Anyone see Miracle on 34th St. - you know what I'm talking about lol.

The simple answer is that you will not be eligible for a state discount without proof of residency.

Since you have a house there and live there part of the time, there is no reason you can't obtain a drivers license in the state.

You aren't a resident and, therefore, do not qualify for the discount but you probably know that. ;)

thanks for the very helpful reply.... :rolleyes:

the post wasnt too debate the ethical issues of getting a resident discount if you are not technically a resident - who cares its a cruise discount.... cruises try to sell for the highest the market will bare and customers try to get it for the cheapest they can.....

i dont think getting a cruise discount when i'm not technically a permanent full year residentttttt will be prevent me from getting in to heaven :)

You may own a house there, but if it is not your PRIMARY residence, then no, you are not a resident and do not qualify for the resident discount. Stop trying to scam the system. If you really wanted the Florida resident discount for cruises, you would make your Florida residence your PRIMARY residence.

We have a house in Fla. But I do not live there permanently. Unfortunately, bills are in my mom's name. I could switch the bill to my name but it would take too long. I figured if I sent a piece of mail there, I could use the addressed envelope as proof. It works for DMV since postal carriers are supposed to deliver mail to people that live there unless it says c/o (care of). Anyone see Miracle on 34th St. - you know what I'm talking about lol.

The fact that my parents have a house in Texas when I lived in Florida, doesnt make me a Texas resident. Sure I could send myself a letter and with the same last name it would get delivered. BTW I also get collection notices for at least a dozen names, just got a new one this past week, so evidently the poster delivery folks could care less what my name is, they deliver tons of mail from collection agencies too that isnt in my name or c/o. someone could be giving out my address to get credit it looks like to me.

I believe you will have to show a picture ID showing the state of residency. the fact that you can show an electric bill to get the license in Florida, great go ahead if its worth it to you.

Just be aware if you change to a Fl License you will have to surrender your licesnse in the state you are living. Seems far fetched to get a cruise discount.

The fact that my parents have a house in Texas when I lived in Florida, doesnt make me a Texas resident. Sure I could send myself a letter and with the same last name it would get delivered. BTW I also get collection notices for at least a dozen names, just got a new one this past week, so evidently the poster delivery folks could care less what my name is, they deliver tons of mail from collection agencies too that isnt in my name or c/o. someone could be giving out my address to get credit it looks like to me.

I believe you will have to show a picture ID showing the state of residency. the fact that you can show an electric bill to get the license in Florida, great go ahead if its worth it to you.

Just be aware if you change to a Fl License you will have to surrender your licesnse in the state you are living. Seems far fetched to get a cruise discount.

Thank you firefly, wrp. and happy for answering my post and not trying to start an ethical debate :)

I thinkd the cruise companies are big boys and really dont care. What they really care about is how much you will spend on board. I dont know about the rest of you but the reason I want to save money on the fare is so that I can spend more on the boat. There going to get it one way or another.

Just go to the DMV in the town where your mothers house is and apply for a ID card. Tell them whatever to get it. Then dont tell a living sole but only use it cruises, (and maybe getting checks cashed in florida). And yes you and I will be flamed here, but then who cares.

By the way is this prevents you from getting into heaven dont worry, i will find you in He** and we will look for some good crusises. I am sure if this is the standards we will have a lot of company. Probably a lot of the cruise execs who came up with these rules

MadJohn

We even have to produce our license to buy Sudafed at a pharmacy in MA.

You can buy Sudafed in MA without producing any drivers license. It is not behind the counter. You can purchase at Walmart without a drivers license as well.

I thinkd the cruise companies are big boys and really dont care. What they really care about is how much you will spend on board. I dont know about the rest of you but the reason I want to save money on the fare is so that I can spend more on the boat. There going to get it one way or another.

Just go to the DMV in the town where your mothers house is and apply for a ID card. Tell them whatever to get it. Then dont tell a living sole but only use it cruises, (and maybe getting checks cashed in florida). And yes you and I will be flamed here, but then who cares.

By the way is this prevents you from getting into heaven dont worry, i will find you in He** and we will look for some good crusises. I am sure if this is the standards we will have a lot of company. Probably a lot of the cruise execs who came up with these rules

MadJohn

There have been several threads in the past about the cruise lines and their enforcement of these resident, senior citizen, etc discounts. The cruise lines will demand proof at the pier that you are eligible and will definitely refuse to allow you on the ship. The on board purchases do not enter into it at all.

We own a home in Florida, and by God do we pay the taxes,( and utilities) on it!!...Although it isn't our "first" home, I think we should be entitled to residency status as far as cruise lines goes because of it...How do those of you who have second homes in the state address this??

My partner, and co-owner, is from the United Kingdom, and has his driver's license from there, ( one with no pic), so perhpas it might make sense for him to obtain a photo id from the state to make it easier when he's asked for id, ( then he could show that instead of his passport).

Just thinking outloud here...Any thoughts??

You can buy Sudafed in MA without producing any drivers license. It is not behind the counter. You can purchase at Walmart without a drivers license as well.

Apparently you weren't aware you were not buying the product you thought you were buying.

The newer altered version is available on the shelf. NOt the original, most effective Pseudoephedrine HCI tablets. Those are what are used to make methamphetimine. The ones on the shelf are different. Go into any RiteAid, CVS, Walgreen's etc and ask for it. You will be referred to the Pharmacy where they keep a log of who purchases it. They check your ID and you are only permitted to purchase a certain amount.

Have you thought about calling the cruise line and asking them? I would call, explain the situation (you have a home in FL part-time), and ask if you qualify for the discount. The worst that could happen is they tell you no. If they say yes, you've got the discount!:) As a Florida resident, I usually have to show my license for discounts at Disney World, etc., but you might get lucky.

What a concept. What a great idea. Tell the truth and ask the question.

I SINCERELY hope they say YES to you. Truly I do. It would be wonderful to be honest and get the discount you seek through truthfulness.

Not to change the subject but there is a whole thread on sneaking alcohol on board. So for those who find something immoral with this, you may want to head over there and preach how wrong it is, because it is against cruise policy and it will hurt the cruise's bar profit.... :rolleyes:

Of courese I am being sarcastic and I am all for brining alcohol on board and have big cabin parties. It just sucks when the bottle breaks in your suitcase and all your clothes stink of tequila. :)

Always concerned about the ships bottom line here!! :D

Trust me, they're making a killing booze, and I have no prob trying to save money when onboard any way I can, and I've never lost any sleep over it.

On another thread I posted that my bf's bar bill came to $1000 on a 5 day last month...He didn't drink any more than he normally does, and he certainly doesn't spend a grand a week on drink at home.

So if we've got to pay that kind of bar tab, then by God I want that resident discount!! LOL :D

You aren't a resident of Florida. Resident refers to permanency. Without a Florida drivers license or a Florida state issued ID or a utility bill in YOUR name, you won't get the resident discount.

Cruise lines are very familiar with most tricks passengers try to play to take advantage of the system. They will check it out very carefully.

Shame on you for trying to get something you aren't entitled to.

So the utility bills shoud do it then??...Great, we're good to go!!

Hey, what about the property tax bill??...( Just remembered we forward the utility bills to another address, but of course it has the Fl. house address on there).

Is the property tax bill addressed to you?

Are you a JR or III or such? They will catch that trick as well. Don't try to be John Smith if your ID says John Smith, Jr.

Archived