Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzi4

Advice please ;)

Hello CC,

I plan on doing my 1st HAL cruise this year on the Zuiderdam. Very excited about this!

Okay, after reading CC boards I started to question my booking and then doing some research on deck plans, I now would like to ask HAL cruisers for advice. Let me apologize in advance for asking a frequently asked question. The problem is the same as many, but I can’t find the specific answer to this stateroom dilemma.

I booked a stateroom category VH guaranteed, I was wondering if it would really be worth my wild to change it to a SZ guaranteed? I know bringing up price maybe a little tacky, but I feel it would be hard to answer my question if you didn’t know, right? It’s roughly $700.00 dollars more total. I’m not a finicky person, I just wondered if SZ would be that much better?

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks, Suzi

It is a very personal decision! The SZ suites are much larger. How important is it to you to have room to walk around the cabin and spread out? To me, that would be well worth $700. To many other people, they'd far rather save the money, or spend it on something else like more shore excursions.

Welcome to HAL and the HAL forum. :)

Prices are talked about ALL the time here, so that's not tacky at all!

An SZ cabin is a much nicer cabin than a VH in many respects, the biggest two being size and location. The VH is down near the bow, has steel-walled verandah railings, just a shower, is just above the show lounge (can be noisy), and will give you a bumpy ride in rough water. I would not be happy in a VH.

The SZ is about 50% larger, is in a much better location (IMO), and has none of the negatives I listed above.

Since there are very few VH and SZ cabins on board, chances are pretty good that you will get a free upgrade from either. SY and SS cabins (the likely upgrades from an SZ) are much nicer than any of the likely upgrades from a VH.

However - the bottom line is: only YOU can decide if it's worth the extra $700 to YOU! If you don't want to spend the full $700, maybe you should check into a guarantee of VE or above.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL section.

If are able to spend the extra $700 total, you will enjoy the SZ so much better. It is larger and much nicer.

And who knows -- maybe with the guarantee you will get a FREE upgrade??!!

We've guaranteed a VH and a VF in the past on a Vista Class ship. Once we received a VA. The other time a VC. $700 is a lot to me. We don't spend that much time in the room and were very pleased with our upgrades. Remember, though, that you might get exactly what you booked, so you need to feel satisfied if you get exactly what you booked. We don't live near a major port, so that $700 would go a long ways towards our airfare!

On a square foot basis, the SZ is a better value than any veranda cabin. There is also the slight possibility that you might be upgraded to a full Deluxe Suite. ( Now don't go getting all disappointed if this does not happen).

If you plan to spend some serious time in your cabin and/or balcony and the cost differential is not going to cause a hardship, why not treat yourself. You are worth it.:D

I want to thank you all for your advice and thoughts about upgrading to SZ cabin. It really helped me sort out what I should do. My sister and I will be in Europe for the month of October and money is a factor. I would love a larger room and balcony just to add to the whole experience, but as others pointed out, we will be doing many shore ex and the money spent on a cabin would more then likely be smarter to save for shore activities....

BUT.....

I got an e-mail from my online travel agent with a new price on SZ cabins, it's $450.00 more total now. So....... what the heck! I'm booking it! Only live once, right? It was tempting at $700, now I cant resist!

Again, thank you all VERY much! Like I said before haven't been on HAL before and wasn't sure about staterooms, they all look really nice and I didn't think it mattered much until I started reading threads here and started thinking about maybe changing. You all helped me see some pro's and con's and all of you gave me great advice!

Thank ya!

Suzi ;)

I got an e-mail from my online travel agent with a new price on SZ cabins, it's $450.00 more total now. So....... what the heck! I'm booking it! Only live once, right? It was tempting at $700, now I cant resist!
Sometimes he who hesitates WINS! Enjoy your large room! :)

Hello CC,

I plan on doing my 1st HAL cruise this year on the Zuiderdam. Very excited about this!

Okay, after reading CC boards I started to question my booking and then doing some research on deck plans, I now would like to ask HAL cruisers for advice. Let me apologize in advance for asking a frequently asked question. The problem is the same as many, but I can’t find the specific answer to this stateroom dilemma.

I booked a stateroom category VH guaranteed, I was wondering if it would really be worth my wild to change it to a SZ guaranteed? I know bringing up price maybe a little tacky, but I feel it would be hard to answer my question if you didn’t know, right? It’s roughly $700.00 dollars more total. I’m not a finicky person, I just wondered if SZ would be that much better?

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks, Suzi

The SS/SY/SZ cat. rooms are substantially larger. In the VH rooms there isn't enough room at the foot of the bed for two people to pass. The entryway is smaller, too. The bathrooms in the SS/SY/SZ class are amazing--double sinks, separate shower, jacuzzi tub w/shower. The verandahs are larger--the V's have two chairs with a very small table between them; the SS/SY/SZ have a table with 2/chairs where you can eat and also two chairs w/footrests for lounging, with another small table between them. We book SS/SY/SZ rooms and normally order breakfast from room service and have it on the verandah.

It will depend on how much time you plan on spending in your room/verandah. We like to read on our verandah and sometimes watch movies in our stateroom so, for us, it's definitely worth it. It also makes getting ready easier--more room to move around.

Either way, welcome to HAL and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time--the Zuiderdam is a great ship!:D

Added: I was typing this when you posted that you made your decision--congratulations!

I think you've made a good move. Note that the odds of you actually getting an SZ are small as there are only 2 of them on the Vistas on deck 6. I've booked an SZ guarantee twice. Once I was upgraded to an SS and the last time we hooked a corner SC on the stern...NICE. :)

The only thing I ever wondered about was the wind factor in the forward facing SZ (SZ6117 on the Zuiderdam now) while underway. Perhaps someone who has actually stayed in one of the forward facing SZ's will chime in.

Are you sure that pricing difference is total and NOT per person? Seems way too cheap going from a VH to SZ for 2 people. Happy Sailing!

The only thing I ever wondered about was the wind factor in the forward facing SZ (SZ6117 on the Zuiderdam now) while underway. Perhaps someone who has actually stayed in one of the forward facing SZ's will chime in.
I have not stayed in one, but have read on this forum that the constant 20 > 22 knot wind (while underway) made them unusable for some people.

Are you sure that pricing difference is total and NOT per person? Seems way too cheap going from a VH to SZ for 2 people. Happy Sailing!

I went from a VC to a SZ guarantee for $40 pp on a promotion that happened to be running the day I called HAL to upgrade our booking. We also were concerned that we might prefer a larger room and we're very happy with the SZ guarantee at that price. I received our documents today but no room assignment yet. Our agent felt we woudn't find out the room assignment until 2 or 3 days before sailing. She's hoping we get a good upgrade on this one and so am I! Either way, though, I'm happy.;)

diane

Suzi Congratulations!!:) What an excellent move but I will warn you if you get addicted to cruising like many of us have, doing your first HAL cruise in a SZ or more likely a SY or SS you will get spoiled:D But hey spoiled can be a very good thing;)

Suzi Congratulations!!:) What an excellent move but I will warn you if you get addicted to cruising like many of us have, doing your first HAL cruise in a SZ or more likely a SY or SS you will get spoiled:D But hey spoiled can be a very good thing;)

When the DW and I started cruising (together) in 04 we were going to book an outside on Princess..."Hmmm this Mini-suite looks nice let's splurge a little"...bar raised.

Our only cruise on Celebrity "let's book a verandah". "Hey what's this Concierge class thing"....bar raised.

Last trip on Zuiderdam...."look at this SZ guarantee thing". "It's cheaper than the VA...let's try it" We got an SS....bar raised.

Last month on Oosterdam to AK we booked another SZ guarantee and were put in a corner SC on the stern....Hey wait a minute I can't jump that high..:o

When the DW and I started cruising (together) in 04 we were going to book an outside on Princess..."Hmmm this Mini-suite looks nice let's splurge a little"...bar raised.

Our only cruise on Celebrity "let's book a verandah". "Hey what's this Concierge class thing"....bar raised.

Last trip on Zuiderdam...."look at this SZ guarantee thing". "It's cheaper than the VA...let's try it" We got an SS....bar raised.

Last month on Oosterdam to AK we booked another SZ guarantee and were put in a corner SC on the stern....Hey wait a minute I can't jump that high..:o

All I can say is "They Got You Hooked NOW" ;) :D

Our agent felt we woudn't find out the room assignment until 2 or 3 days before sailing.
Maybe, but I suggest you start checking your online check-in forms at about 3 weeks out. Most of our assignments have come around the 17-18 day out point, though once we did not learn it until the last week. I don't know about you, but I think the suspense whets my excitement! :)

Maybe, but I suggest you start checking your online check-in forms at about 3 weeks out. Most of our assignments have come around the 17-18 day out point, though once we did not learn it until the last week. I don't know about you, but I think the suspense whets my excitement! :)

I check daily. :D But the week before we will be in Seattle and may not have internet access. So we may get a surprise in the end.;)

diane