Tappan Zee to Throgs Neck Bridge Directions Advice

mindyb

I'm driving down from Albany NY this Saturday to meet friends in Long Island for a few days pre cruise. After crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge I'm stuck on the best route with the least traffic (Hutchinson River, Sprain Brook, Thruway to Major Deegan or any other suggestion) - to get to the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Thanks in advance for any help -

I'm driving down from Albany NY this Saturday to meet friends in Long Island for a few days pre cruise. After crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge I'm stuck on the best route with the least traffic (Hutchinson River, Sprain Brook, Thruway to Major Deegan or any other suggestion) - to get to the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Its NY...there is no best way on any given day traffic can back up from any of them.

take the Mapquest directions and listen to the radio(wins 1010 and wcbs 880 have traffic reports every ten minutes- 1010 on the ones and 880 on the eights)...and don't be afraid to use the Bronx Whitestone bridge as an alternate....

Map Quest says to do the Thruway to Palisades to GW Bridge which I thought would really be congested on a Saturday. I was just wondering if anyone had a preference between Thruway, Hutchinson, or Sprain Brook to get to the Throgs Neck. Thanks for your advice about the traffic stations though -

Map Quest says to do the Thruway to Palisades to GW Bridge which I thought would really be congested on a Saturday. I was just wondering if anyone had a preference between Thruway, Hutchinson, or Sprain Brook to get to the Throgs Neck. Thanks for your advice about the traffic stations though -

Do NOT go over the GW and across the Cross Bronx.

After going over the Tappen Zee stay left on 287. Take 287 to 95 South. While on 95 south listen to 1010 WINS on the 1's, 880 CBS on the 8's or 1130 BBR on the 5's for traffic to find out what is better the Throngs Neck or Whitestone bridge. If there are no traffic concerns take the Throgs Neck from 95 south, its quicker to LI that way.

You also may want to think about getting off the Truway at I84, take that towards Danbury and get off I84 at I684 south. If there is traffic on the Tappan Zee, you will miss it by taking 684 south to 287 to 95.

You know I thought of these directions before I posted above. On a Saturday its likely there will be no traffic on this route and the Palisades are by far the most scenic way to go. Its too bad you don't have e-z pass because it makes this a much faster trip....the Cross bronx on a weekday I wouldn't recommend but I was at the IKEA in Westbury and had to go to Northern NJ on a Saturday afternoon(not a day when the Yankees were playing) and there was NO traffic...using thses exact directions....backwards of course..its how my GPS sent me and I went with it.

You know I thought of these directions before I posted above. On a Saturday its likely there will be no traffic on this route and the Palisades are by far the most scenic way to go. Its too bad you don't have e-z pass because it makes this a much faster trip....the Cross bronx on a weekday I wouldn't recommend but I was at the IKEA in Westbury and had to go to Northern NJ on a Saturday afternoon(not a day when the Yankees were playing) and there was NO traffic...using thses exact directions....backwards of course..its how my GPS sent me and I went with it.

Just remember going to Long Island on Saturdays in the summer are often problematic given the beach traffic. With that said, the best way was previously described. Take the Tappan Zee to the Cross Westhester (287) to 95 to either Throggs Neck or Whitestone based upon radio traffic reports.

Thanks for the advice. I do have an EZ pass so that should help. I grew up in LI but haven't been back in a very long time, but I remember the GW Bridge being miserable on a Saturday. It used to be the day that they would do construction. If the GW is not congested I agree that that the Palisades could be good - I just worry about the Bridge and Cross Bronx traffic and was wondering if the Tappan Zee would be less congested on a weekend. I really appreciate your input!

The TPZ can be congested coming from Rockland County on Sunday's, but with EZPass it should not be too bad.

I would take the TPZ and then 287 to Hutch South which will bring you to Whitestone or Throgs Neck.

Here is my recommedation:

Tap to the Sprain. Sprain to the Cross County east. Cross County to the Hutch. Hutch to the New England Thruway. New England Thruway to the Throg's Neck.

There are two possible back-up spots:

1. Cross County at the Hutch. Two lanes merge to one. Back-up is generally 5 minutes.

2. Hutch at the NET. There is construction on the NET. A stop sign has replaced the old merge at the end of the Hutch ramp. Back-up can run about 3-5 minutes on a Saturday morning.

I have tried several routes and this is generally the quickest.

Have a great trip.

Just don't go anywhere near the Cross Bronx. It's a nightmare any day. DH agrees to take 287 to 95 and then either bridge...Throgs Neck or Whitestone, whichever has less traffic.

The Cross Bronx has been a disaster since they threw down the chicken market off of the Councourse to build it.

The signs on the Cross Island Parkway always give the Throg's Neck as the best route to the Bronx. I'm not sure if the reverse holds true.

Just an after thought. There should not be a lot of traffic on the TBZ on a Saturday. The problem is when you are ending the weekend and people come back from upstate NY. On second thought, I would take 287 to the Hutch(it will have less traffic than 95) and then the Hutch will take you to 95 for the Throgg's Neck or stay on the Hutch for the Whitestone.

Grew up in westchester and now live in queens.. I take this route just about every weekend.

After the Tappan zee take the sprain

Sprain turns into the bronx river

Bronx river to last exit and follow signs for the whitestone... you will get on the brucner for 1 exit.

This route take you directly to the tolls for the whitestone, you by pass traffic on the Hutch.

The Hutch is like the twilight zone.. you could be the only person on the road at 4am and there will still be traffic.

This is the fastest way I have found.

The easiest way to get to long island from the Tappan Zee is to take 287 to the hutch and stay on the hutch till the whitestone, you really only exit once. Very Very simple!

Rockville Center - so after Throgs Neck - it's Cross Island to Southern State Pkwy. Sounds like the Tappan Zee to 287 and then either Hutch or straight on 95 to Throgs Neck is my best best -

Thanks so much for all your advice. You've all been so helpful!

Well, I hope you had better luck getting to Long Island on Saturday than I had getting to NY.

I took a bus from Boston to NY, and we came down 95 through the Bronx to get on the Bruckner to the Major Deegan. The source of the jam was traffic onto the Throg's Neck Bridge. If you took 287 to 95 you may have encountered this wonderful NY event.

Hope you arrived safely at your destination.

The basic trouble with traffic in NY, as in most major cities, is that you never know where the tie ups or accidents will happen. Bridges going to Long Island on a beautiful summer Saturday can get backed up.

Archived