Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridalady

cockleshell

Price is $13 RT and takes about 20-25 minutes each way. It is a great ride as the views are amazing. You'll also have an almost unobstructed view of Nevis from Cockleshell. We really enjoyed our day and are really glad we decided to go there at the recommendation of one of the Tourism ladies at the port. If you like snorkeling, this is a great beach for that, as we saw lots of sea life including sand dollars, a baby octopus, lots of fish, etc. The only vendors on the beach were a man selling handmade coconut magnets and a lady who gave incredible aloe vera massages.

Would cockleshell Beach be ok for a toddler & 18 month old ?

Will be on the Victory 3/8/09 wth son & family.I ' am trying to

find excursions we can do together.

My husband and I did a Kayaking one thru RCL 3 years ago

and really enjoyed that. We want to take the kids so they can

get to experience a little of each island.

We are still looking for something on Dominica that we all could

do. Any suggestions ?

Tropicqueen

THanks so much.Is that 13 each person?Does the same driver return to pick you up???

Price is $13 RT and takes about 20-25 minutes each way. It is a great ride as the views are amazing. You'll also have an almost unobstructed view of Nevis from Cockleshell. We really enjoyed our day and are really glad we decided to go there at the recommendation of one of the Tourism ladies at the port. If you like snorkeling, this is a great beach for that, as we saw lots of sea life including sand dollars, a baby octopus, lots of fish, etc. The only vendors on the beach were a man selling handmade coconut magnets and a lady who gave incredible aloe vera massages.

We were at Cockeshell last month. We paid $10 round trip per person but we had 17 in our group. The beach is nice and calm with decent snorkeling, it would be good for small children. There are picnic tables and chairs for free if you don't want to rent the beach chair & umbrella.

MTV

Would cockleshell Beach be ok for a toddler & 18 month old ?

Will be on the Victory 3/8/09 wth son & family.I ' am trying to

find excursions we can do together.

My husband and I did a Kayaking one thru RCL 3 years ago

and really enjoyed that. We want to take the kids so they can

get to experience a little of each island.

We are still looking for something on Dominica that we all could

do. Any suggestions ?

Tropicqueen

Cockleshell Beach is very non-touristy so it is perfect, IMO, for small children. There is great snorkeling there, and lots of starfish (I said sand dollars in a previous post, but meant starfish....starts with an "s":o ). The surf is not rough and there were less than 100 people on the beach. Dominica is a beautiful island but I can't really think of a good excursion for your group as we did strenuous hikes there that wouldn't work for your group...have you asked on the Dominica port forum?

THanks so much.Is that 13 each person?Does the same driver return to pick you up???

Yes, it was $13 pp roundtrip and we just told the driver what time we wanted to be picked up.,,,,by the way, if you enjoy lobster, take advantage of the $32 lobster feast. A couple of local fishermen brought the lobster up to the beach after catching it and the Reggae Beach Bar Restaurant right there grilled it up and served with rice and plantains. It was amazing!

The only vendors on the beach were a man selling handmade coconut magnets and a lady who gave incredible aloe vera massages.

Oh be still my heart! The massages - are they regular beach massages or just a quick 5 minute mini one? And can you tell me the prices please? I've been searching for a beach massage for one of our ports next March and we've decided to go to Cockleshell in St. Kitts. Great info! Thanks.

Kim,

We didn't get the massages, but the lady did stop by and give us a "free sample" as she called it....which was a 5 minute massage in itself. It was really pretty neat because she got the aloe vera right from the plant and it felt WONDERFUL. We planned on getting one done before we left but she was busy so we couldn't, unfortunately.

I don't remember the prices but I get massages done at home, and I know the prices she quoted were reasonable and didn't give me sticker shock....maybe something like $30 for 30 minutes. Sorry I can't help you more.

Enjoy your trip!

Kim,

I don't remember the prices but I get massages done at home, and I know the prices she quoted were reasonable and didn't give me sticker shock....maybe something like $30 for 30 minutes. Sorry I can't help you more.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the info. I get massages at home too but I always like to get them when I'm away as well and NOT from the cruise ship. I'll look for her and book her right away!

we visited this beach last year, it is a very beautiful beach, and it wasn't too busy.

We ate at the Regae Beach Bar, food was okay, but rather pricy for a beach cafe. I believe it is the only cafe on the beach. One thing we noticed there were a ton of flies? don't know why.

There were a few ladies there offering massages with Aloe, we didn't get a massage. Personally it appeared to me that these ladies were not qualified to do massages but I wasn't hearing any complaints from any of the participants. One thing I heard was that everyone found the Aloe soothing while it was going on but when it dried it was very sticky / drying feeling.

One person in our group walked down the beach and it was very secluded.

thanks so much!One more thing-do you pay the taxi when they pick you up or when they drop you do you pay half???

Cockleshell Beach is very non-touristy so it is perfect, IMO, for small children. There is great snorkeling there, and lots of starfish (I said sand dollars in a previous post, but meant starfish....starts with an "s":o ). The surf is not rough and there were less than 100 people on the beach. Dominica is a beautiful island but I can't really think of a good excursion for your group as we did strenuous hikes there that wouldn't work for your group...have you asked on the Dominica port forum?

Yes, it was $13 pp roundtrip and we just told the driver what time we wanted to be picked up.,,,,by the way, if you enjoy lobster, take advantage of the $32 lobster feast. A couple of local fishermen brought the lobster up to the beach after catching it and the Reggae Beach Bar Restaurant right there grilled it up and served with rice and plantains. It was amazing!

Yes, we did see some but don't know if they were waiting on someone else...I would assume that some enterprising taxi driver always waits there just in case....

Here are some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/cockleshell_beach

The beach has kind of a rural feel to it. No built up hotels or anything. Most people seem to hang out by the Reggae Beach Bar, but the view are better to the south near the Lions Beach Bar. The water was calm when I was there and there were a few children in the water. The sand isn't as great as many other islands and there was a lot of seaweed on the beach. There is also a giant pig (Wilbur) that wonders around the beach, which children would like to see.

For the person who asked about renting snorkel equipment, I didn't see a place but I wasn't looking. Like I said before, there really isn't much there other than the two beach bars.

Is there a rental place for snorkel equipment on this beach?

I didn't see snorkel equipment for rent there. My brother brought his along with him.

As 2112 said, the area is pretty non-commercial for the most part.

Will be on the Victory 3/8/09 wth son & family.We are still looking for something on Dominica that we all could

do. Any suggestions ?

Tropicqueen

We're on the same cruise that you're on. Come on over to our roll call.

Here's what we've got planned for Dominica. This is directly from Reyno Tours and it sounds like an awesome day for the price!

Reyno Tours 10:15 a.m. – 2:30 pm $30/person plus $2 admission fee/pp to Trafalgar and $2 for Emerald pool/pp

We will visit the Rain Forest, Emerald Pool, Twin Trafalger Falls, Mr. Nice Fruit Stand where you get the chance to sample all of the local fresh Tropicals Fruits and Coconut Candy on the Island, we will see all of the Banana Plantations, Stop at the Black Sand Beach, A stop at the hot Sulpher Pool (Volcanic Activity), Botanic Garden, A panoramic view of the Town Roseau, We will stop for 30-40 minutes at each of the main site's.(Emerald Pool,Trafalger Falls Mr.Nice Fruit Stand Also if you all wish to go to a Beach. I can take you all as well.

reynotours@hotmail.com

Spent quite a bit of time on Cockleshell when I was there in April.

Reggae Beach Bar serves delicious food and thought it was reasonably priced. The view is amazing, friendly service, and you can see Wilbur the 600 pound pig!

They have a gift shop and kayak/snorkel equipment you can rent.

www.reggaebeachbar.com

Can't wait to go back in December!

Yes, there are only two beach bars on Cockleshell. The other one is Lion's. They both have good food.

YOu can rent snorkel equipment at Reggae beach bar according to their website. I jsut checked out there menu-looks good.

YOu can rent snorkel equipment at Reggae beach bar according to their website. I jsut checked out there menu-looks good.

where's this website?