Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridalady

cockleshell

We took a taxi to Cockleshell beach $26 for the two of us. Beach chair was $6 and lunch was $14 enough for the two of us. The snorkeling on the left side of the beach is pretty good. I found a rock there that had at least 30 spiny lobsters on it. This was in December 2008. Taxi back to the port was $6 each as we shared the taxi with another family.

Didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone mentioned Wilbur. He is the beach pig, 6 years old and weighs a good 300#. There was also a kid goat and baby monkey when we were there.

we were at cockleshell beach in October and I have to say that although the beach was very nice, the Reggae beach bar was hands down the most disgusting place I've ever visited. I have never seen so many flies in my life. We arrived hungry (after an island tour) expecting to have lunch. I saw the flies (literally hundreds) on the plates at every table and just knew I couldn't eat there. Some in our party did order food, and had to keep it covered with a napkin and then get a forkful from under the napkin to keep the flies off the food. I did have a drink, but also had to keep that covered.

However, if you were sitting at a table on the beach, the flies did not appear to be a problem, although we only brought our drink to that table.

Would go back to the beach again but would definitely NOT eat there.

we were at cockleshell beach in October and I have to say that although the beach was very nice, the Reggae beach bar was hands down the most disgusting place I've ever visited. I have never seen so many flies in my life. We arrived hungry (after an island tour) expecting to have lunch. I saw the flies (literally hundreds) on the plates at every table and just knew I couldn't eat there. Some in our party did order food, and had to keep it covered with a napkin and then get a forkful from under the napkin to keep the flies off the food. I did have a drink, but also had to keep that covered.

However, if you were sitting at a table on the beach, the flies did not appear to be a problem, although we only brought our drink to that table.

It's an outdoor setting, you can have your pick of bugs or pesticides.

We were there in Oct. as well and there were ALOT of flies! We did eat there but it was a challenge to eat our food while fighting off the flies. Nobody in our group got sick or anything but I'm not sure I would eat there again in the future.

We just returned from a Southern Caribbean Cruise and took the cab to Cockleshell Beach. We paid $5.00 each for 5 of us and one toddler for a total of $30.00. We shared the van/cab with two other groups of people going to different places along the way. With the other stops, it took 1/2 hr..

The cab fares are posted on a board inside the Terminal area (wish I would've taken a pict.) and it was $25.00 for 4 people and $3.00 for each additional person. (For this destination...other prices for other destinations were also posted).

Since there were four ships in port, cabs at that stand were hard to come by, but if you just walked out of the "mall" area, tons of drivers were competing for your business.

The driver returned as promised and the same fare for the return trip. There were plenty of cabs available there as well.

The beach is very nice with lots of star fish. We arrived later in the day and there were no more chairs or umbrellas available, but found plenty of shade under palm trees. We did not eat here, but hubby thought the prices were high.

Nevis was definitely visible in the distance and the water here was calm and colorful. Lots of pretty shells as well. Cold drinks available at both bars and you could use the restroom at the Raggae.

I keep reading about the starfish at this beach. We are planning to bring our snorkel gear. Where did you see them? Are there a lot of them year-round? Thanks for the info!

I found them out in the seagrass. Just swim straight out from the beach, you should see them. If you do pick them up, make sure you put them back down the same way. If they are on their back they are much more susceptible to being eaten.

Thanks vegasman. How far out is the seagrass? Is there a strong current? How clear is the water at Cockleshell? Last question: It doesn't hurt the starfish (or the humans) when they are picked up? Thanks!!

How far: It starts about 10 yards from the beach and goes out maybe another 50 yards. Current: It's a bay, there was no noticeable current the day we were there. Water clarity: The water is quite clear, at least it was when we were there. A storm or a lot of people in the water could reduce the visibility. Does it hurt: As far as I know it does not hurt them. You do have to be careful, you can hurt yourself or them if you're rough with them. As a natural protection they have small spikes all over. This makes them hard to eat by their predators. These spikes are not found on the bottom side, which is why you want to put them back in the water properly.

Here are some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/cockleshell_beach

The beach has kind of a rural feel to it. No built up hotels or anything. Most people seem to hang out by the Reggae Beach Bar, but the view are better to the south near the Lions Beach Bar. The water was calm when I was there and there were a few children in the water. The sand isn't as great as many other islands and there was a lot of seaweed on the beach. There is also a giant pig (Wilbur) that wonders around the beach, which children would like to see.

:eek:...:D Pig wandering around the beach. I definitely would call that rural.

Loved your pictures.

Most likely I will hit this beach.

Thanks!

You might have seen my other post about Cockleshell. We were just there about 10 days ago and the beach was in horrible shape with the sand mixed with topsoil and rocks, lots of stones and rocks in the shallow water near shore, and the overall impression of a trashed beach. We were told that this was because St Kitts had been hit with lots of rain over the past 6 weeks and this caused extensive beach damage. Today we saw that St Kitts has been hit by another hurricane (today) which has dumped another 8 inches of rain on the island. This will certainly do more damage to the beach. The beach bar was fine, the staff as friendly as ever and the pig (and monkeys) were doing fine. We are returning to St Kitts in early Dec but will certainly not return to Cockleshell since we figure it will take months for the government to do anything about repairing the damage to this beach (and that assumes they will do anything). Others on our cruise went over to the Marriott area and nearby Shipwreck and reported that area was very nice, so this may be our destination in Dec.

Hank

We were at Cockleshell during the week of the flooding & while the beach was not in great shape we had an incredible day there.

We loved the rum punch & the food (OMG the best food we had the whole week) at Lion's & the atmosphere.

I would love to go back to St. Kitts & would definitely go back to Cockleshell.

The beach had definitely seen a lot of flooding when we were there (but if you like to hunt for shells it was the perfect time)

PA080306.jpg

A boat had washed ashore almost going into Reggae Beach Bar

PA080312.jpg

The food at Lion's was delicious

PA080319.jpg

The water was REALLY stirred up with sand

PA080308.jpg

But we had the best day there! Great atmosphere! Great Friends! Great Times! I can only imagine what it would have been like under normal circumstances but I plan to go back & find out!

cool breeze

Thanks for the updated photos, we have 98 days til our cruise so hopefully it is cleaned up by then. Glad you had fun anyway, cockelshell is on our agenda. Do you remember what you paid for a cab one way?

Thanks

We were at Cockleshell during the week of the flooding & while the beach was not in great shape we had an incredible day there.

We loved the rum punch & the food (OMG the best food we had the whole week) at Lion's & the atmosphere.

I would love to go back to St. Kitts & would definitely go back to Cockleshell.

The beach had definitely seen a lot of flooding when we were there (but if you like to hunt for shells it was the perfect time)

PA080306.jpg

But we had the best day there! Great atmosphere! Great Friends! Great Times! I can only imagine what it would have been like under normal circumstances but I plan to go back & find out!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Gives us an idea what the beach looked like.

I am a big fan on collecting shells. :D

If we do decide to go there, I'll be in my glory, as well as my DH drinking and eating the local flare.

cool breeze

Thanks for the updated photos, we have 98 days til our cruise so hopefully it is cleaned up by then. Glad you had fun anyway, cockelshell is on our agenda. Do you remember what you paid for a cab one way?

Thanks

We paid $6.50 each one way & the cab driver returned to pick us up at 4PM & it was another $6.50 each. There were six of us. Another couple paid $20 one way for the two of them.

There are more pictures of Cockleshell in my review if you are interested. The link is in my signature.

[quote=Feelin' Nauti';26692766]Thanks for posting the pics.
Gives us an idea what the beach looked like.
I am a big fan on collecting shells. :D
If we do decide to go there, I'll be in my glory, as well as my DH drinking and eating the local flare.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]The food at Lions Beach Bar was probably the best food we had all week & the Lion & Angela are great people! I absolutely loved the rice. Angela said she seasons it with garlic & island spices & it was delicious & I am not a huge rice fan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The beer at Lions was $2 but was $3 at the Spice Mill. Wonderful rum punch was $5.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope you have fun![/SIZE]