TA or online?

I am planning a cruise for my immediate family and several extended family members. I am wondering if a better deal can be had by using a TA?? Do they typically offer on-board credit? Is on-board credit given by booking directly through the cruise line? If I remember correctly, we did receive OBC when we booked through the Disney website....By the way, we are planning a FOS cruise for next summer!

We booked my entire family plus some with our TA. We were given 2 upgrades and tons of perks. Bottles of wine, free pictures, chocolate covered strawberries, cheese and cracker platter, fruit basket, and OBC. (I think there was 22, or 23 of us) We booked at least 1 year in advance and our TA was great. I haven't booked online for cruises before but I have read on these boards from so many people that have and have had great luck.

You will get a variety of answers from people with great TAs and other people who have had a bad experience with a TA and some will be a Type A personality and be on boards constantly and micro-managing their cruise. It all depends on your preference.

From working in the industry and booking cruises with an agent before starting in the industry I know that I received and my clients receive more personalized care from working with a travel agent. If there are any problems you at least have someone to support you rather than going directly with the source you may not have any backup. You must book 8 cabins, once in a while on some you can get perhaps 6 for a gorup. The price might not be less but in a lot of cases this is where you would get the onboard credits or other perks. It is the travel agent's responsibility to make sure that all guests are seated together for dinner and any other special requests. A great travel agent will focus on the importance of customer service. Connie

From working in the industry and booking cruises with an agent before starting in the industry I know that I received and my clients receive more personalized care from working with a travel agent. If there are any problems you at least have someone to support you rather than going directly with the source you may not have any backup. You must book 8 cabins, once in a while on some you can get perhaps 6 for a gorup. The price might not be less but in a lot of cases this is where you would get the onboard credits or other perks. It is the travel agent's responsibility to make sure that all guests are seated together for dinner and any other special requests. A great travel agent will focus on the importance of customer service. Connie

The reason I book direct with the cruise line is that if there are any problems, I can work directly with the source to get them resolved instead of relying on a middleman to properly represent me. This is generally how I handle all of the problems that life sends my way. The little bit of OBC I could get with a TA insn't worth the risk of someone else making a mess of my family's vacation.

Peter:)

RCCL will not give you anything to book on their website or directly with them. TAs are not allowed to advertise a lower price than RCCL, but may offer perks. Some multi-purpose online TAs will charge you for the privelage of booking with them and have monetary penalties for cancelling or modifying your booking that are above and beyond what the cruiseline would charge. If you want to use a TA either use someone you know or do your homework and read the fine print.

Archived