The Biggest Loser on NBC

WeirdEyes

[quote name='serene56']Shiela: remember we are only seeing what the network wants us to see. Those people were complaining about Matt putting them down and not being supportive. I have not seen that. I also thought with im being the biggest loser and the one to lose the most weight-- theyshould have kept him. Did you see his NOW picture.. He looks great.[/QUOTE]Yes, I saw his "now" picture and does look good. From what I understand, he was very irritating because of his maturity level. I'm sure he could be irritating, but that isn't a reason to vote someone off.

Skiiergirl, I like Kelly also. Gary seems like a decent guy to.

• 2 weeks later...
I started reading this thread but didn't get through it all (sorry).

I caught the first episode of this show cause it was the only thing on at the time while I was wating for my g/f to get ready. It looked like an interesting show and having done my degree in Exercise Science with a minor in Nutrition, I thought I'd take a look see.

It turned out to be another piece of crap in a long line of reality show garbage. In case it isn't obvious, I'm not a big fan of the whole reality show craze.

While I can understand the appeal of such a series to a nation where over 50% of people are overweight and 30% obese, I just cannot come to terms with a show where the basic premise it's based on is flawed.

I think someone mentioned earlier that it is easier for a more overweight person to lose weight. This is true. A better judge of these participants' committment would be to compare [b]percentage[/b] weight lost rather than total poundage.

A 200 lb person losing 5 pounds has done better than a 400 lb person losing 8 pounds.

As well, it total body fat vs muscle mass should be taken into consideration.

Of course, this is too "complicated" for the average viewer to understand (as well as to do the actual comparisons) and they'd lose a lot of the viewing audience. It's easier to say "X lost 20 pounds while Y only lost 5" and the big numbers have to do with the "wow factor".

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

I've kinda lost interest in this show. I hate the whole "voting off" aspect. Competition is one thing but they need a more supportive environment and they need to work on their home issues that got them there in the first place. I would like to see something more like the Body Challenge on Discovery Health. I think that in the long run those people are more likely to stay fit and healthy because they learned to deal in their own environment not some artificial set.

Tami

I agree with both of you. I wish they would focus more on what to eat and not to eat along with what kind of exercises they do instead of the "fluff" of the reality show. As far as voting someone off, I understand that they need to eliminate someone in order to get a winner at the end, but it would make more sense to me if they took the total pounds lost as a whole team at the end and from the winning team take the person that has lost the most percentage. That way everyone would stay on the show until the end.

Did that make sense?

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...
You all got your wish. They switched to % lost instead of pounds lost. I confess I have been watching every week. I am fascinated by before and after weight loss stories and pictures. There is already a "Biggest Loser 2" in the works and many, many people are auditioning for it.

• 3 weeks later...
Im so glad Lisa finally got booted off.. I was getting tired of her whining and crying all the time.. I really missed the show last week so I cant wait for it to resume this Tuesday.. I cant believe how attached I've gotten to this show.. I am so amazed at everyone of these people when they show their before and after shots.. They really are all winners..

I couldnt take that Lisa one more minute. I have never met such a whining crybaby ever in my life. But all that aside..did you see her after picture.. she did reall good for herself after the prgram.

[quote name='serene56']I couldnt take that Lisa one more minute. I have never met such a whining crybaby ever in my life. But all that aside..did you see her after picture.. she did reall good for herself after the prgram.[/QUOTE]I totally agree! I'm glad the show is resuming on Tuesday.

Archived