Century v. RCCL Grandeur

TeacherSus

Anyone done both? We're planning a family cruise for my parents, siblings, and 7 grandchildren (ages 3-7). I know both are older ships but also that the Century has been totally refurbished. We were on the Century last year and loved it but am looking to please a whole slew of people.

Feelings one way or another?

In fairness, I'm posting this on the RCCL board as well...I'm hoping for some honest opinions...Thanks!

I have actually been on both ships. Century when it was 3 yrs old and Grandeur when it was a bit older than that. Have not been on Century since it was re-done. We liked Century a lot more only because of the Celebrity experience. When we were on Grandeur there were 7 couples and 2 cuples had never been on a cruise before and loved every moment. Four couples had been on Celebrity and all we did was make comparisons.

I have done both and definitely prefer Century; though Grandeur was still nice. So far as I know Grandeur has not been refurbished and there are no specialty restuarants (I loved Muranos on Celebrity). Grandeur does have a couple of perks Century doesn't have like a climbing wall, but it does not have most of the bells and whistles the newer Royal Caribbean ships are known for (i.e. ice skating, florider, Royal promenade etc.). I thought the service was about equal on both ships, but Century was definitely more elegant (i.e. greeted with champagne upon boarding, some of the lounges more fancy such as the Maritni Bar, full five course meal etc.). Grandeur certainly can be an enjoyable ship, but if one is used to newer ships they might be disappointed. Grandeur was my second cruise and I had a blast, but now that I have experienced some newer ships I do not think I would go back.

I was on the Century in January of this year and the Grandeur in February.

I didn't see a lot of changes on the Century other than they've "refreshed" her.....new carpeting, bedding, curtains, etc. We were on her the last sailing prior to the refurbishment and I felt like I was "back home again."

The Grandeur didn't feel as 'elegant' as the Century but is very nice, regardless.

Celebrity always offers a good experience, but the crew on the Grandeur was OUTSTANDING!

Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Anyone done both? We're planning a family cruise for my parents, siblings, and 7 grandchildren (ages 3-7). I know both are older ships but also that the Century has been totally refurbished. We were on the Century last year and loved it but am looking to please a whole slew of people.

Feelings one way or another?

In fairness, I'm posting this on the RCCL board as well...I'm hoping for some honest opinions...Thanks!

Thanks for your input!

Patti - Since you have the most recent experience I'll pose the most important quetsion :D to you:

I know it's subjective, but how would you compare the food on the two ships?

Also, any experience with the kids areas?

Thanks!

Hey TeacherSus,

I've sailed both ships as well, but don't have children. It seemed to me that there were more kids of all ages on RCL than on Celebrity.

I prefered the pace and service of Celebrity over RCL, but had a lovely time on both ships. I think Celebrity gets the nod for better food overall.

Either ship would be great!

Grandeur of the Seas 2/24/2007

Grandeur of the Seas 9/30/2007

Celebrity Century ~ 2/4/2008

We felt the food and service was equal on both.

I would have to give the edge to the Grandeur for kids. More kids, more activities!

For adults, the Grandeur was more active at night and for daytime, there is a solarium for adults only, where the Century has the one outdoor pool area.

The biggest deciding factor for us would first be the itinerary, and then the accommodations. We stayed in a CC on the Century, and while nice, it was small and had rounded beds that made sleeping uncomfortable for a tall person. On the Grandeur, the JS were much larger than the CC on the Century. We also stayed in an Oceanview on our second Grandeur cruise and those cabins were much smaller. BTW - The bedding has been refurbished on the Grandeur and we thought the ship was beautiful! I can post some photos of both if you would like.

We just got off Century, and I was paying attention to the programs for youngsters as I plan to cruise with two of them next year.

There were relatively few kids on this July cruise (12-day, Baltics), but I think that made the experience fabulous for the ones who were there. They had a range of programs, and the kids could be seen moving around the ship in "packs" - they seemed to have a great time.

Sometimes a smaller ship that doesn't attract a ton of kids can actually offer a more individualized kids' experience than one that has to entertain an armada....

Just a thought. I have never been on RCCL, so I can't compare there.

We just got off Century, and I was paying attention to the programs for youngsters as I plan to cruise with two of them next year.

There were relatively few kids on this July cruise (12-day, Baltics), but I think that made the experience fabulous for the ones who were there. They had a range of programs, and the kids could be seen moving around the ship in "packs" - they seemed to have a great time.

Sometimes a smaller ship that doesn't attract a ton of kids can actually offer a more individualized kids' experience than one that has to entertain an armada....

Just a thought. I have never been on RCCL, so I can't compare there.

I was thinking the same thing...less kids, more attention. Also, we're taking a family cruise with all 7 grandkids. They would have fun playing with each other even if no other kids were around...but since we're planning the cruise for mid-winter break I'm sure that won't be the case.

Thanks again for all of the great opinions...keep 'em coming!

I don't think that the smaller Grandeur will have an "armada" of kids like a larger RCL ship would. It has been our experience that if there are not enough kids on a ship, some of the programs will be cancelled for lack of participation. Also, remember that your grandchildren will not be placed in the same age groups. However, after taking a look at the ages of your grandchildren, I think that the chances of having younger children on either ship will be greater than having older kids. Parents of the older kids will book the larger ships for greater activities.

I am not trying to push one line or the other, so I think you should be fine on either! What is the itinerary for both ships?

Food - I remembered the food on Celebrity to be outstanding when we cruised on the Millie, so the Century dining room food was a disappointment to us last winter. I am hoping that the quality will come back up, in light of the new announcements. ;)

The Lido food on the Century was quite good for breakfast and lunch, as compared to the Grandeur.:)

Archived