What Digital Camera Do You Use?

Sandytoes

Yes, I realize my finepix f10 is not a DSLR (that's my point n shoot).

The other is DSLR-like. Whether it's a true DSLR or not, I like it (http://www.fujifilm.ca/x15938.xml).

Thanks for your input. :)

Didn't mean to infer that you would mistake the F10 for a DSLR...:o

I was pointing out the S100FS wasn't because, beleive it or not, a lot of people don't really know DSLR-like from DSLR. A lot of people read these threads and the FYI was for the general benefit. The S100FS is indeed very DSLR-like in appearance and function so I thought I'd point it out so someone did't buy one and go shopping for lenses!;)

Happy shooting!

Dave

I have a Nikon Coolpix and the dial keeps moving on me.

So, I am now fed-up with it and want to buy a new Digital Camera.

But, there are way too many to chose from.

Can you tell me what D|C you use -

the pros | cons.

Thanks!!!!

Chris

The wife uses a compact P&S that must fit in her Brighton and like you uses a Coolpix but in Pink. I give it a B- for quaility of pictures and usability. Before that she had a Casio that I give an A, but it now has a useless LCD screen but still takes great pictures thru a too small viewfinder. I would have gotten her a Canon SD model but they weren't nearly as slim nor came in the "right" colors. The reality these days is the differences in cameras for 99% of our usage are minimal and come more to personal perference and priority of features.

For me I'm a DSLR convert now with a D40 and D300. Once you experience the speed and response of a DSLR its very hard to go back :D

I keep upgrading my camera's every year. Right now I am using a point and shoot and a DSLR. They are:

Fuji Finepix F10

Fuji Finepix S100FS

Also, upgrading every year is totally ridiculous. The model upgrades are not that significant.

DON

I have an older Fuji (Finepix S3000) which I love..... and thinking of going to the Fuji 8000. Big zoom..... what do you think??

I would want image stabilization on a camera with a big zoom. Does the Fuji have that?

Another Picasa ? I will be leaving soon for another awesome Alaskan cruise and I want to clear all the pics from my memory card, so that it will be nothing but trip pics on it. I understand how to load them on to Picasa, but if I want to leave them on Picasa, and not my memory, what do I do.

Question 2....then, after they are all removed permanently from memory card.....I can then burn them to a CD....correct.....by going to gift CD ???

Thanks for the continuing education. I appreciate you all coming here to help people like me, who come a bit timidly, but am not put down for my lack of knowledge. :) gg

Another Picasa ? I will be leaving soon for another awesome Alaskan cruise and I want to clear all the pics from my memory card, so that it will be nothing but trip pics on it. I understand how to load them on to Picasa, but if I want to leave them on Picasa, and not my memory, what do I do.

Question 2....then, after they are all removed permanently from memory card.....I can then burn them to a CD....correct.....by going to gift CD ???

Thanks for the continuing education. I appreciate you all coming here to help people like me, who come a bit timidly, but am not put down for my lack of knowledge. :) gg

When you transfer your images, choose "Safe Delete". Picasa will verify that your images were transferred successfully before removing them from your card. You can then leave them on your computer and burn them to a CD.

Once your cards are cleared and the CD is burned, you may want to go to your camera's menu while in viewing mode and format the card. Choose "low-level" for the format type. I do this before vacations to make sure there are no errors on the card. If the low-level format finds too many errors, it wil fail. I would rather know before I go!

Dave

When you transfer your images, choose "Safe Delete". Picasa will verify that your images were transferred successfully before removing them from your card. You can then leave them on your computer and burn them to a CD.

Once your cards are cleared and the CD is burned, you may want to go to your camera's menu while in viewing mode and format the card. Choose "low-level" for the format type. I do this before vacations to make sure there are no errors on the card. If the low-level format finds too many errors, it wil fail. I would rather know before I go!

Dave

No wonder I could not find this post.....I put it on the wrong darn thread......so sorry, esp. since I reposted it on my original thread and added some questions. Trying to do too many things at one time. Please overlook me, Dave. gg

I use Picassa on and off....kinda spoiled with photoshop and elements, but haven't done much with any of them lately, but it was neat to read about the delete safely option in Picassa. I don't reformat my cards as often as I should. Found a closeout price on 1gig Compact Flash and bought about 6 of them, so along with the three or four I have, I figure I have enough to use one a day and label them. I read one post where somebody just uploaded all of her pics to the same folder and they got all jumbled because they were in numberical order, not ordered by day she took them. Wish i could find the program that orders your pics by time....

I use Picassa on and off....kinda spoiled with photoshop and elements, but haven't done much with any of them lately, but it was neat to read about the delete safely option in Picassa. I don't reformat my cards as often as I should. Found a closeout price on 1gig Compact Flash and bought about 6 of them, so along with the three or four I have, I figure I have enough to use one a day and label them. I read one post where somebody just uploaded all of her pics to the same folder and they got all jumbled because they were in numberical order, not ordered by day she took them. Wish i could find the program that orders your pics by time....

Use IrfanView to batch rename. Is has a sort feature that will sort by name, date, size, etc..

I did an article on it here:

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchRename.htm

I do this by opening a file in a Picasa Folder with IrfanView (right-click > Open With) and re-naming the files using the batch rename. Picasa automatically renames them.

Dave

OMG.....finally.....I knew it existed and could have kicked myself a dozen times for not at least bookmarking it the first time I read about it. I have a thousand pics from a wedding taken on three different cameras that I have not been able to get into a good chronological order, plus a trip to Atlanta with two cameras, and the city pics are all mixed up. I have all the info saved....too tired to learn how to do it now...been up since 1am....work....but probably tomorrow evening. Thank you so much!! I will be using at least two cameras in Alaska, and had no idea how I was going to put them in order, other than name each of the memory cards every day.

Jayne

OK....maybe, I am being too simplistic/ignorant re: this. I am taking three memory cards on my trip to Alaska. I thought that when I filled up my first card, I would put it in its little plastic holder and write 1 on the case.....then 2 on the next etc. Do you not do it this way ?? gg

No reason why that wouldnt work, unless your days over lapped, and you could probably figure it out. Nothing to say i won't start the day with a fresh memory card, fill it up, and overlap to one that I end up using the next day. I think the most important thing is have a system, sort of like having a list of stuff to pack...have a system to "pack" your memory cards. My sister said they all take USB memory sticks and at least one person has a laptop, so we all go home with everybody's pictures. I will be sorting pictures for a year, but when you figure I read posts in this group for over a year, doing the pictures will be fun too!!

I use two camera's. I love my Nikon D60 for it picture quality.

I find that I use the Canon sd1000 as it is so compact that it fits in my shirt pocket. I take it everywhere I go because of it size.

Their are a lot of choices out their. I look at Cnet, Steve gigicam and epinions.com when you want some feedback on a camera you are thinking about purchasing.

OMG.....finally.....I knew it existed and could have kicked myself a dozen times for not at least bookmarking it the first time I read about it. I have a thousand pics from a wedding taken on three different cameras that I have not been able to get into a good chronological order, plus a trip to Atlanta with two cameras, and the city pics are all mixed up. I have all the info saved....too tired to learn how to do it now...been up since 1am....work....but probably tomorrow evening. Thank you so much!! I will be using at least two cameras in Alaska, and had no idea how I was going to put them in order, other than name each of the memory cards every day.

Jayne

The only caveat is to sync the time on your cameras. One year I had to scour the internet for a program to change the file creation time when one camera was on daylight and one on was on standard!

Dave

I purchased my p&S Nikon Coolpix 8700 prior to the advent of large memory cards, such as the 4G and 8G cards. The manual refers to cards 1G and smaller. My question relates specifically to the camera's exposure count; will I have problems with it if I use a 4g or 8G card? In other words, will it reflect an increase in exposure count with the larger cards or is the largest count only 999 photos? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?? Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

I purchased my p&S Nikon Coolpix 8700 prior to the advent of large memory cards, such as the 4G and 8G cards. The manual refers to cards 1G and smaller. My question relates specifically to the camera's exposure count; will I have problems with it if I use a 4g or 8G card? In other words, will it reflect an increase in exposure count with the larger cards or is the largest count only 999 photos? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?? Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

The Coolpix 8700 supports FAT32 according to the Lexar site, meaning that it can use CF cards larger than 2GB. Most cameras with 3-digit shot counters will just show 999 until it falls below that, counting down normally from there on.

Dave

The Coolpix 8700 supports FAT32 according to the Lexar site, meaning that it can use CF cards larger than 2GB. Most cameras with 3-digit shot counters will just show 999 until it falls below that, counting down normally from there on.

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I appreciate your response and, by the way, your photo classes. I haven't posted yet, but have been reading and studying right along with you. Appreciate all the information provided and the effort you make to explain the various topics so that all can understand. Your patience knows no bounds. :D Regards.

I too have a Fuji S5000 and also a Fuji S700. I have seen additional lenses to extend the telephoto and wide angle. Would anyone suggest adding these on or would they just distort the photos? Also, would you suggest getting polarized filters for Alaska?

I too have a Fuji S5000 and also a Fuji S700. I have seen additional lenses to extend the telephoto and wide angle. Would anyone suggest adding these on or would they just distort the photos? Also, would you suggest getting polarized filters for Alaska?

Add-on teleconverters for superzooms are a mixed bag. Unless you get one from the original manufacturer of your camera, their quality can vary over a wide range. Even with the OEM ones, the benefit may be questionable. The 380mm equivalent long end of your zoom (370mm on the S5000) is pushing the limit of hand-held shooting even with stabilization. Since the S5000 has none and the S700 doesn't actually compensates by bumping up the ISO to increase shutter speed, you will probably lose a lot of image quality at the long end with a converter. That said, a teleconverter will do a lot better than digital zoom, which just crops the image.

You may want to consider the wide-angle converter. The optical problems are less exaggerated at the wide end and you will probably find more situations where a wider then 38mm view would be desired. Unless you want the fish-eye distortion look, don't go more than .7x on the wide-angle.

My 2¢...

Dave

Add-on teleconverters for superzooms are a mixed bag. Unless you get one from the original manufacturer of your camera, their quality can vary over a wide range. Even with the OEM ones, the benefit may be questionable. The 380mm equivalent long end of your zoom (370mm on the S5000) is pushing the limit of hand-held shooting even with stabilization. Since the S5000 has none and the S700 doesn't actually compensates by bumping up the ISO to increase shutter speed, you will probably lose a lot of image quality at the long end with a converter. That said, a teleconverter will do a lot better than digital zoom, which just crops the image.

You may want to consider the wide-angle converter. The optical problems are less exaggerated at the wide end and you will probably find more situations where a wider then 38mm view would be desired. Unless you want the fish-eye distortion look, don't go more than .7x on the wide-angle.

My 2¢...

Dave

Thank you so much for your assistance. This is exactly the information I was looking for. My DH is adamant that I need the extra zoom and I have been fighting him. Maybe I will just tell him to get me a new camera :D Again, thanks so much for the info.

Although an early model the Nikon D40x is outstanding. Used it on our Med cruise into Rome, Athens, Turkey etc. Does the job. The lens are the only issues. I had two lens, one for normal and one for telephoto. So am in the process of buying one lens for both, so I don't have to switch back and forth.

Diggety:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I use a DSLR. I have another camera I haven't used in a while. Anyone know where I can get 127 film? ;)

250.jpg

Cool camera!

My husband is a 'purist' and refuses to use my digitals. He's got a huge collection of old cameras that all work, and he's tested/used all of them.

His favorites are his medium format twin lens Mamiya, and his 4x5 Graflex Speed Graphic. Quite the dinosaurs, but boy can you get nice sharp photos from them.

You can still get odd sized film from a place in Honeoye Falls, NY. They sell 127 and 620 film all ready for you, and can process it too if you need them to. They're called Film for Classics and they are online.

Film for Classics

Box 486

Honeoye Falls, NY 14472

Please address all questions to us by letter, fax (585.624.5651) or telephone (585.624.4945).

Please use email forORDERS ONLY.

The best time to reach us by phone is 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. </B>

Hope you get a chance to use that cutie again someday!

Juli

Archived