Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daisymae253

What to do in Cabo San Lucus

I haven't seen very much that really interest me at this port...Can anyone help buy sharing your opinion on what you have seen and done.

Cabo is my favorite port. What things "interest" you? I swam with dolphins. There's lots of water activities "snorkling, waverunners, kayaking, horseback riding" so without knowing what kind of things interest you, its hard to give advise.

we are looking at atv's...we are doing water sports at the other port of calls.. why is cabos your favorite port?

te=Yukon111;15743975]Cabo is my favorite port. What things "interest" you? I swam with dolphins. There's lots of water activities "snorkling, waverunners, kayaking, horseback riding" so without knowing what kind of things interest you, its hard to give advise.

I would love to see a list of peoples top 5 things to do in Cabo. Anyone?

In the winter we went whale watching. That is probably the most popular winter excursion - at least it was on our Roll Call!

Our next cruise there will be in early fall. I understand it is pretty warm at that time of year, so DH & I plan on snorkeling at this point. Afterwards we will probably meet a group of friends at Cabo Wabo if time allows!:)

Cabo Wabo is a very popular watering hole. I've never been there myself, so I can't tell you anything about it. There is also shopping and just strolling down the Malecon (waterfront). It is very pretty.

we are looking at atv's...we are doing water sports at the other port of calls.. why is cabos your favorite port?

te=Yukon111;15743975]Cabo is my favorite port. What things "interest" you? I swam with dolphins. There's lots of water activities "snorkling, waverunners, kayaking, horseback riding" so without knowing what kind of things interest you, its hard to give advise.

What other ports are you going to? Depending on where else you're going, Cabo is one of the best for water sports. If you're going in the spring you can go whale watching. When you get off the ship there are lots of guys lined up that you can hire to take you snorkeling, etc. We had a group of 20 people and got a guy to take us to Santa Maria. Santa Maria is well-known as one of the best beaches near Cabo for underwater wildlife. With the boat & 2 hours snokeling, plus equipment it was $18/per person. It was awesome for such a good price. Our other friends did this with the cruise ship and paid LOTS of $$. On the way back to the harbor some of our group wanted to para-sail, so they stopped at a boat in the bay & they jumped over to the other boat. I think that was about $45 per person. My husband went scuba diving in Puero Vallarta & the water was really murky. He had so wished he had done it in Cabo instead. Hope this gives you some more ideas. I love jus sitting a one of the cantinas in the harbor & having some mexican food & beer. The view is awesome.

In the winter we went whale watching. That is probably the most popular winter excursion - at least it was on our Roll Call!

Our next cruise there will be in early fall. I understand it is pretty warm at that time of year, so DH & I plan on snorkeling at this point. Afterwards we will probably meet a group of friends at Cabo Wabo if time allows!:)

Cabo Wabo is a very popular watering hole. I've never been there myself, so I can't tell you anything about it. There is also shopping and just strolling down the Malecon (waterfront). It is very pretty.

My only suggestion with Cabo Wabo is not to bring kids. We had several with our group & just wanted to stop in and have a quick margarita. There was a woman stumbling out SO drunk at about 2 in the afteroon that some got offended & took their kids elsewhere. It was NOT pretty. But the margaritas were tasty! LOL

I would love to see a list of peoples top 5 things to do in Cabo. Anyone?

Snorkeling, whale watching & para-sailing

Our first trip there we did a boat tour that took us out to the arch and to see the sea lions. After that we boarded a van that took us up to a nice restaurant with beautiful gardens overlooking the bay where our ship was docked.

When we go next month, we are going to visit the glass blowing factory and have rented wave runners. I'm sure we'll have to stop at Cabo Wabo since we didn't do that last trip.

My only suggestion with Cabo Wabo is not to bring kids. We had several with our group & just wanted to stop in and have a quick margarita. There was a woman stumbling out SO drunk at about 2 in the afteroon that some got offended & took their kids elsewhere. It was NOT pretty. But the margaritas were tasty! LOL

You are going to find drunk tourists at almost all the bars in Mexico! Cabo Wabo is perfectly fine for kids, especially during the day when there is hardly anyone there except for cruise ship passengers. It does not start to get busy and the main bar does not even open until late at night. It was probably someone from your ship stumbling out. Those Waboritas are very strong!:eek:

You are going to find drunk tourists at almost all the bars in Mexico! Cabo Wabo is perfectly fine for kids, especially during the day when there is hardly anyone there except for cruise ship passengers. It does not start to get busy and the main bar does not even open until late at night. It was probably someone from your ship stumbling out. Those Waboritas are very strong!:eek:

I'm sure she probably was from our ship & it was pretty dead. I just wanted anyone bring kids to be forewarned, just in case. It was quite a scene. As I said a few from our group got offended that their kids saw that, but it doesn't necessarily bother me. We went ahead & stayed. As you said that's probably true for most bars in Cabo, so maybe that should be considered if taking children along.

"Cabo Wabo is a very popular watering hole. I've never been there myself, so I can't tell you anything about it. "

"You are going to find drunk tourists at almost all the bars in Mexico! Cabo Wabo is perfectly fine for kids, especially during the day when there is hardly anyone there except for cruise ship passengers."

If it's popular it must be for late night .... and all because it has a "celebrity" name attached to it I guess. I couldn't figure out any other reason. When we went it was empty (or as the second person notes maybe a sprinkling of other tourists) and quite boring. Not even any drunk people. I wouldn't be scared to take kids there. We had just as tasty margaritas elsewhere. Sorry, its been awhile or I'd tell you where we had them! ... but I know it was on the marina. And then there's a view.

Going out to see the arch is pretty, but if you get off at Lover's beach be prepared to get thrown into the water, and depending on the surf it can be a challenge to get back in the boat. (there's lots of posts about that)

"Santa Maria is well-known as one of the best beaches near Cabo for underwater wildlife."

Thanks for this tip - we're still trying to decide what to do also. Would love to whale-watch but wrong time of year.

If you're going in the spring you can go whale watching. When you get off the ship there are lots of guys lined up that you can hire to take you snorkeling, etc. We had a group of 20 people and got a guy to take us to Santa Maria. Santa Maria is well-known as one of the best beaches near Cabo for underwater wildlife. With the boat & 2 hours snokeling, plus equipment it was $18/per person. It was awesome for such a good price. Our other friends did this with the cruise ship and paid LOTS of $$. On the way back to the harbor some of our group wanted to para-sail, so they stopped at a boat in the bay & they jumped over to the other boat. I think that was about $45 per person. My husband went scuba diving in Puero Vallarta & the water was really murky. He had so wished he had done it in Cabo instead. Hope this gives you some more ideas. I love jus sitting a one of the cantinas in the harbor & having some mexican food & beer. The view is awesome.

I am interested in snorkeling and I am on the carnival Pride ship this weekend Oct.19. I am interested in the one you did, but where are they located from the ship, and how would you get there?

Can you please give me detailed directions to get to this place for snorkeling that was $18 per person total- wow, what a great deal!

thanks!

Mali

If you're going in the spring you can go whale watching. When you get off the ship there are lots of guys lined up that you can hire to take you snorkeling, etc. We had a group of 20 people and got a guy to take us to Santa Maria. Santa Maria is well-known as one of the best beaches near Cabo for underwater wildlife. With the boat & 2 hours snokeling, plus equipment it was $18/per person. It was awesome for such a good price. Our other friends did this with the cruise ship and paid LOTS of $$. thanks!

Mali

Yes I too am interested in what company you snorkeled with for $18pp.

I don't know if it was a company per se (at least that I know of). Right after you get off the tenders there are a bunch of guys lined up to take you to all kinds of snorkeling places. We just told one of them that we wanted to go to Santa Maria. That was it.

Has anyone done the whale watching? I am going in late January and this is one we are looking at. I would like to do the catamaran cruise with whale watching but want to make sure it is worth it.

I was looking at booking the Pez Gato snorkelling tour for next week but I noticed there was a lot of seats still available. I don't really like booking tours in advance "just in case" I decide to do something different. Has anyone ever just booked them on shore when you get off the ship. I'm sure when you got off the ship in Cabo there will be plenty of companies trying to get your business. Is this a correct assumption?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Has anyone ever taken the bus excursion to Todos Santos and the Hotel California? It sounds like a nice trip but it's long (5 hours) but we want to be able to see the arch also and are only in Cabo for 8 hours.

If you are into shopping, they have the best prices we found on the candy wrapper purses.

See this link (or do a search) if you don't know what they are: http://www.ecoist.com/

My wife got one in CSL and it was one-third the price they were asking in PV.

She wished that she got more. Such is life.

I am cruising on HAL in November and our first stop is Cabo. I wanted to book another cruise which would have taken us to Cartagena Columbia, Costa Rica, etc...but my Mother wanted to do the Mexican Riviera AGAIN :rolleyes: Living in Southern California I have heard a lot of people complain about Cabo, and it being too touristy, the water being too rough, etc. I really really don't want to go to that port. Can someone convince me that it is awesome please?! Pictures might help...Thanks for your help everyone!

Well we LOVE it! We first went there on a cruise in 1994 and have been going back ever since. We now own 2 time shares there and spend up to a month a year. We will be there for 2 weeks next month and can't wait.

The best things for us are the beauty of the desert meeting the ocean, the people, the food and the attitude. We are looking at condos on our next trip and we hope to buy one in the next year so we can go whenever we want and to retire there in the next 5-10 years.

Give it a try, you may end up loving it too!:)