In-cabin airconditioning

PadLondon

We have found the same thing many times and are convinced that they do crank back the air at night. I am concerned about the lack of air exchange during the night when they do this - we have got up and felt no air coming at all - that is like sleeping in a closet. We usually open the door for a while to provide an air exchange and that helps - no problem with lots of air in the corridor!

We have found the same thing many times and are convinced that they do crank back the air at night. I am concerned about the lack of air exchange during the night when they do this - we have got up and felt no air coming at all - that is like sleeping in a closet. We usually open the door for a while to provide an air exchange and that helps - no problem with lots of air in the corridor!

Yes, I mentioned the Westerdam, but also noticed the lack of a/c during the night (after most people would be long asleep) on both the Caribbean Princess and the Golden Princess. Oh, and on the Legend. Only one that didn't seem to do this was Costa Magica. It was cold all night. I'm the one who notices either because I have to make a late night bathroom run and notice that it's hot in the cabin and I can't hear the sound of air coming through the vents or I wake up BECAUSE it's gotten hot enough to wake me from discomfort. It doesn't seem a matter of the thermostat b/c I don't have problems anytime but late at night. I'm suspicious that they crank all the a/c's at night thinking we won't notice. However, I need a very chilly room to sleep comfortably, so I definitely notice!!

I figure they probably won't admit they do that. :cool:

Yes, I mentioned the Westerdam, but also noticed the lack of a/c during the night (after most people would be long asleep) on both the Caribbean Princess and the Golden Princess. Oh, and on the Legend. Only one that didn't seem to do this was Costa Magica. It was cold all night. I'm the one who notices either because I have to make a late night bathroom run and notice that it's hot in the cabin and I can't hear the sound of air coming through the vents or I wake up BECAUSE it's gotten hot enough to wake me from discomfort. It doesn't seem a matter of the thermostat b/c I don't have problems anytime but late at night. I'm suspicious that they crank all the a/c's at night thinking we won't notice. However, I need a very chilly room to sleep comfortably, so I definitely notice!!

That is an interesting thought. Now that you mention it, it does seem to get quite hot overnight. I'm like you...usually making a bathroom run during the night:eek: . I'm a hot sleeper at the best of times so I thought maybe it was just me:) .

I read recently that 68 degrees (Fahrenheit, not Celsius) is the ideal temperature for sleeping.

This makes me sad :( :(

I love my balconies in large part because I love to prop the door open a few inches and hear the ocean. I love on a nice day to have the door open and get the fresh air. I realize these are things the inside cabins miss, which is why I am paying more for my balcony and I'd like to be able to enjoy what I'm paying extra for

I also love to be thoughtful of others...

I guess I'll have to find a way to balance being thoughtful of others with getting my moneys worth out of a balcony.

Most people, especially those without balconies, say they don't mind the cabins because they are never in their cabin anyway, so I suppose if I only open the door during the day for short periods hopefully it won't effect them much. I never do leave it open for long periods of time or at night anyway, at least not more than propped open an inch or so just to hear the ocean.

I think if the cruise lines are going to give people balconies maybe they should design airconditioning systems that aren't effected so much by people using them.

I do love to sit out on the balcony and eat breakfast, read, watch the scenery go by, even when it's just the ocean, but sometimes the sun is too bright or the wind too strong to sit out there.

I also have some major back problems and if it's a bad back day or I need to be ready for a big excursion the next day, I often end up spending time lying down on the bed (one reason I love HAL, they have great beds!)

If I'm having to lay in bed I love to be able to see, hear and smell the ocean and if I can feel the ocean breezes I don't feel like I'm missing out being confined to the cabin for some of the day. Pain is more easily bearable with the sound of the sea to soothe you, and remind you you're on a cruise! :cool:

This is an interesting topic to me. We have had two 'hot' experiences on HAL, on the Nieuw Amsterdam (no longer in service for HAL) and the Volendam. And it was darned miserable both times. Both were outside but not balcony cabins.

On the Volendam, people from our roll call were mid-ship (we were in the aft) and their a/c was fine. As we walked from our aft cabin toward the bow, we noticed a huge difference as soon as we reached the 'warp core' (Volendam's atrium sculputure looks just like one). It was cool as soon as we reached the atrium! (I joked to my husband that it was cool because that's where the CD's and Hotel Director's offices are.) What would make one part of the ship so unbearably warm while others were cool on the same deck? (No balconys on the Lower Promenade on the Volendam, so I didn't think it was that, but now I'm not so sure.)

Our dear, dear steward got us a fan which made it bearable, but I'm a little worried about our next cruise. We're aboard the Volendam again but up on the Navigation Deck in one of those 'inside-outside' staterooms. Will all those people living the 'suite life' make my life hotter than you-know-where? :eek: (The cruise is to New Zealand and Australia, right at the beginning of their summer (spring?), so I actually am hoping it's COLD.)

Robin

That is an interesting thought. Now that you mention it, it does seem to get quite hot overnight. I'm like you...usually making a bathroom run during the night:eek: . I'm a hot sleeper at the best of times so I thought maybe it was just me:) .

Lorene---I noticed on our last two cruises, that when I woke up in the middle of the night, the little red light on the thermostat was always out and the cabin was stuffy. When I woke up again in the morning the little red light was always on again and was on all day. I do believe that they shut the system down for a few hours when they think people won't notice.

Lorene---I noticed on our last two cruises, that when I woke up in the middle of the night, the little red light on the thermostat was always out and the cabin was stuffy. When I woke up again in the morning the little red light was always on again and was on all day. I do believe that they shut the system down for a few hours when they think people won't notice.

Wow...never noticed the light. The Maasdam wasn't too bad for me...the Ryndam was brutal.

Please, folks, be nice. About 50% of the posts have been removed.

No need to engage in personal aspersions when discussing air conditioning on board ship.

I do love to sit out on the balcony and eat breakfast, read, watch the scenery go by, even when it's just the ocean, but sometimes the sun is too bright or the wind too strong to sit out there.

I also have some major back problems and if it's a bad back day or I need to be ready for a big excursion the next day, I often end up spending time lying down on the bed (one reason I love HAL, they have great beds!)

If I'm having to lay in bed I love to be able to see, hear and smell the ocean and if I can feel the ocean breezes I don't feel like I'm missing out being confined to the cabin for some of the day. Pain is more easily bearable with the sound of the sea to soothe you, and remind you you're on a cruise! :cool:

fun*n*sun - it's been suggested - in an earlier post - that a balcony door can be left opened IF you turn the thermostat in your cabin up to warm. You would also have to plug up the gap under your door, perhaps by using a rolled up towel.

By shutting off your a/c, your open balcony door would not affect a/c in other cabins.

fun*n*sun - it's been suggested - in an earlier post - that a balcony door can be left opened IF you turn the thermostat in your cabin up to warm. You would also have to plug up the gap under your door, perhaps by using a rolled up towel.

By shutting off your a/c, your open balcony door would not affect a/c in other cabins.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! It will!! You leave open doors and it affects all the a/c on the ship. :mad:

Thanks for the suggestion. If I do feel the need to open my balcony door a few times a day a few inches for a few minutes I will definetly turn the thermostat up. But, s it sounds as if even doing that would disturb the airconditioning on the whole ship I don't think I'll be doing it.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]:confused: What about the gangway being open for so many hours while the ship is in port? Theoretically, wouldn't that just make everybody's cabin a sweltering torture chamber?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff00ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm not sure I can post this, and I will state it is just my opinion, but groups of cabins are zoned from different airhandlers. There isn't one big airhandler for the entire ship.

The effect is the cool air supply getting rerouted before it gets to your particular cabin should you be downstream of the particular cabin.

[quote name='usha'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]:confused: What about the gangway being open for so many hours while the ship is in port? Theoretically, wouldn't that just make everybody's cabin a sweltering torture chamber?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

Most of the ports call for the use of lower decks for the gangway. If you look around you will usually see no open doors or hallways. The elevator lobby on that deck will often have a curtain of plastic strips to keep outside air from the elevators. On the rare occasions when the promenade deck is used in port it is a problem. Some ships that use that deck for embarkation use doors to seal that area even after rooms are opened prior to departure. Most departure ports have an air seal between the building and the ship.

[quote name='usha'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]:confused: What about the gangway being open for so many hours while the ship is in port? Theoretically, wouldn't that just make everybody's cabin a sweltering torture chamber?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]
[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5]Hi Usha:[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5] From our experience, only the immediate area about the open gangway while in port seems to be affected (by the heat & humidity).[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5] Once away from that area, inside the ship, the a/c seems to function normally, both in public areas as well as in (our) stateroom.[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Re: the air conditioning going out - we timed it and at 20 seconds after turning our lights out, the air conditioning light went out. during the day if we pulled the curtains to shut out the sun it also went out - so it is light censored. Too bad, as they like you to shut the drapes during the day to keep out the hot sun, but if it also shuts off your air you end up sweltering.
We solved the daytime problem by angling the drapes so that a beam of sunlight hit the air conditioning unit and kept it on - but couldn't figure out what to do to keep it going at night. A little spotlight aimed at the unit?

Also they ask you to turn out all lights when you leave the cabin - in the evening that means that your air also gets turned off and you come back to a warm room. they never used to do this when we started cruising. The corridors always seemed cool - maybe they should reverse that and have warm corridors and cool rooms.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Juanita462']Re: the air conditioning going out - we timed it and at 20 seconds after turning our lights out, the air conditioning light went out. during the day if we pulled the curtains to shut out the sun it also went out - so it is light censored. Too bad, as they like you to shut the drapes during the day to keep out the hot sun, but if it also shuts off your air you end up sweltering.
We solved the daytime problem by angling the drapes so that a beam of sunlight hit the air conditioning unit and kept it on - but couldn't figure out what to do to keep it going at night. A little spotlight aimed at the unit?

Also they ask you to turn out all lights when you leave the cabin - in the evening that means that your air also gets turned off and you come back to a warm room. they never used to do this when we started cruising. The corridors always seemed cool - maybe they should reverse that and have warm corridors and cool rooms.:rolleyes:[/quote]
That is most interesting. I must check it out next year on the Eurodam. I notice from the pictures of the Eurodam cabins that there seems to be a wall mounted goose-neck light over each bed. I wonder if aiming one of them away from your eyes and at the thermostat would do the trick.

What ship were you on? Wonder if it's this way with all the ships, or just certain classes? I'm getting really concerned because I just can not sleep unless the room is cool/cold! I sometimes get strange looks from stewards and they ask if I want the temperature "fixed".:o I say, "no", I like it like an icebox! Next cruise is Oct. 4 from Montreal to FLL. I should at least be comfortable (for me) for the first part of the trip.:)

Archived