Cruise Critic Community
Disabled Dave

Tallinn for the Disabled

Can anyone tell me how I will get on in my wheelchair travelling through Tallinn. My wife will be pushing and we prefer doing our own thing. Is that possible? Are the pavements cobbled too? Any help would be much appreciated. Sailing in on the Arcadia on 3/9/08

Just came back from the Constellation and thought Tallinn was a highlight. All the shuttles from the ships park at side entrance to old town and while there are lots of cobbles, there are usually smoother paths to make your way. I did a panoramic tour but after seeing the layout think you have the best idea.

have a wonderful time and please let us know how it worked.

Can anyone tell me how I will get on in my wheelchair travelling through Tallinn. My wife will be pushing and we prefer doing our own thing. Is that possible? Are the pavements cobbled too? Any help would be much appreciated. Sailing in on the Arcadia on 3/9/08

Hi, I just got back, and my DH is in a wheelchair. We took the shuttle to the bottom gates, and it was the wrong approach.

The most beautiful sights in the city are at the top of the city, and although it is a pretty short walk, it is one that requires you to climb stairs and navigate crowded cobblestone streets and narrow sidewalks.

The best approach is to get a taxi from the pier, and have them take you to the top of the city. You can check out the churches, palace, and other old structures, and enjoy the view. You could have the taxi drive you around up there, and then take you to somewhere in the middle so you can wander down to the bottom and back to the pier (short walk).

Or, if you wanted to get out and wander around up top, there may be a way down that does not involve steps, I just didn't find it.

Good luck. Tallin is not to be missed.

Once you are in the center of the old town, if you get a taxi to drop you there, it is still mostly cobbled streets and be prepared to see most of the sights - churches, town hall, president's residence from the outside only. Most of them have steps to enter; we were there 2 years ago and did not find any ramps.

I did Tallinn on my own with my little mobility scooter. Getting to the town square was no problem. I started up the steep hill to the top of the city but thought better of it and turned back (so did not see the steps). The cobblestones were too rough and the street too steep. I wandered off beyond the square and encountered the most uneven cobblestones that I have ever traversed! It was a little scarey but I managed to stay upright! I was riding in the street because there were no curb cuts. With a wheelchair you should be able to bump up and down the curbs use the sidewalks for much smoother rolling. You should be able to do it on your own.

Note about Tallinn sidewalks - while they are smooth, they are also very narrow, and sometimes interrupted with shop doors propped open.

Also, and this is a very important also, there are drainage ditches cut into the sidewalk about every 6-8 feet. If you don't pay attention, you can dump yourself or your passenger unceremoniously onto the curb. I threw my DH on one of those curbs for the first time in all the time he has been in a wheelchair! It took three strong Good Samaritans to get him back in the chair, as his legs had given out by then.

We just came back. The cobbles are horible but you don't want to miss it. They have w/c vans that come with a guide. We took guided w/c vans in all the stops. We were in the Jewel. To date it was the most expensive trip but worth every penney.It was a once in a lifetime trip.If your going to fly 7 hours you might as well see it all. Pictures will be posted on ***** soon. I traveled in a power w/c with good shock absorbers and founbd it teeth chattering but still worth it.

Weelyncruzer, so happy to hear that you had a wonderful, if expensive cruise! Did you arrange your own guided w/c vans for excursions or did wheelchair escapes do it for you? Could you be so kind as to list the ports and w/c van companies for each here on the cc board, plus access info?