Cruise Critic Community
KeywestK

Just off Explorer 9-nt NE/Canada today...Any Questions?

I may be able to add a different perspective, as Karen and I did different tours.

VillaHappy...the first sea day was very foggy. Our weather in general was not the best. We were not as lucky as you.

New London..weather was fine

Sea Day...very foggy

Halifax and St. Johns....cloudy, a little foggy and drizzly

Bar Harbor....gorgeous weather.

Portland....poured all day...we never got off the ship

Boston...good weather up until about 4 and then it rained.

Sea Day home.....gorgeous blue skies

The tours that I can tell you about are:

Halifax we hired Jonathan from yourcab.com After he promised to do our tour, he got a group of 20+ so he pawned us off on someone else, but he was very informative and did a good job. I think his name was Al. We saw the whole city, gardens, were at the Citadel at noon for the firing of the cannon, went to Peggy's Cove and had lunch at Shaw's. Overall, good

St Johns...did the kayaking/lobster bake through the cruiseline. Everyone on the tour loved it. You don't have to be a "kayaker" to enjoy this one, and no we were not sore the next day. Great lobster/clambake lunch. Run by really nice people. Overall, excellent

Bar Harbor...we had a driver from MDI Taxi....I don't recommend them. The driver was a DITZ, unprofessional with a black thong hanging out everytime she got out of the car. My boys kept cracking up. Car was old with exhaust problems, and she had just started this job a couple of days ago. The $25/pp bus tour that Karen went on, is the way to go. We did see most of Acadia Park, Cadillac Mountain etc. and it is worth seeing. The town is quaint and lovely. We had an excellent lunch outdoors over looking the harbor at the Bar Harbor Inn. Highly recommend that. Overall, very good.

Portland......poured all day.. Started drinking bloody mary's about noon, and then had a late lunch at Johnny Rockets. Was so full that I skipped dinner.

Boston........did the Duck tour from the Prudential Center and had a great time. Excellent.

We did the Mystery Dinner and really enjoyed it. We sat with a bunch of our cruise critics.

We ate at Portofino's 4 out of the 9 nights. We loved the food, and the atmosphere.

I want to tell you that I enjoyed the Windjammer. I had heard such terrible things about it, but I found it to be good and an enormous variety. I never made it to breakfast, but my kids liked the waffles, and I often had a salad for lunch or a tuna sancwich. They also have sushi every night. So we would go up there around 6:30 and get a big plate and bring it back to the cabin and eat it on the balcony with drinks.

We had a cabin right under the WJ which turned out to be noisier than expected, but RCI bent over backwards to make it quieter by putting carpeting down.

Attitude of the staff on RCI is extremely accomodating, friendly and nice.

Must agree with Karen...that our CD was excellent and very cute!

Overall, a wonderful cruise....

We had an outstanding group of cruisecritics on this one.

We all played Quest the second to last night and it was HYSTERICAL.

Hope this helps!

Really enjoy reading about everyone's trip. Thank you so much for posting.

We were interested in also taking the Duck Tour in Boston. Did you walk from the ship to where you joined the tour? If so, was is very far? My husband has a disability which requires him to wear a leg brace and can't walk for any type of distance. He normally stays onboard when we visit ports, but he would really like to see Boston and I thought this tour would be nice for us.

We're going on the 28th for 9 nights, but our ports are different - Sydney, NS; Charlottetown, PEI; Quebec City; Halifax. Looking forward to the cruise, but really can't decide about the weather - hot, cold, jackets, shorts, or all the above?

The weather in NE/Canada was cool and damp during most of our cruise. We needed long pants most days when we were out and about sightseeing. And lightweight jackets. But there were also some warmer and clearer days too. So my advice is have a bit of both. And don't forget to pack an umbrella...;)

Karen

We were interested in also taking the Duck Tour in Boston. Did you walk from the ship to where you joined the tour? If so, was is very far? My husband has a disability which requires him to wear a leg brace and can't walk for any type of distance. He normally stays onboard when we visit ports, but he would really like to see Boston and I thought this tour would be nice for us.

If your husband has any kind of disability then you should just take a taxi from the ship into town. I don't know exactly where the duck tour starts, but I'm sure you can Google it, or post a question to these boards. Boston is too wonderful and important a city to stay on the ship if there's any way you can get out and experience it.....JMHO, of course....:)

Karen

I may be able to add a different perspective, as Karen and I did different tours.

VillaHappy...the first sea day was very foggy. Our weather in general was not the best. We were not as lucky as you.

Sea Day...very foggy

Halifax we hired Jonathan from yourcab.com After he promised to do our tour, he got a group of 20+ so he pawned us off on someone else, but he was very informative and did a good job. I think his name was Al. We saw the whole city, gardens, were at the Citadel at noon for the firing of the cannon, went to Peggy's Cove and had lunch at Shaw's. Overall, good

St Johns...did the kayaking/lobster bake through the cruiseline. Everyone on the tour loved it. You don't have to be a "kayaker" to enjoy this one, and no we were not sore the next day. Great lobster/clambake lunch. Run by really nice people. Overall, excellent

Bar Harbor...we had a driver from MDI Taxi....I don't recommend them. The driver was a DITZ, unprofessional with a black thong hanging out everytime she got out of the car. My boys kept cracking up. Car was old with exhaust problems, and she had just started this job a couple of days ago. The $25/pp bus tour that Karen went on, is the way to go. We did see most of Acadia Park, Cadillac Mountain etc. and it is worth seeing. The town is quaint and lovely. We had an excellent lunch outdoors over looking the harbor at the Bar Harbor Inn. Highly recommend that. Overall, very good.

Portland......poured all day.. Started drinking bloody mary's about noon, and then had a late lunch at Johnny Rockets. Was so full that I skipped dinner.

Boston........did the Duck tour from the Prudential Center and had a great time. Excellent.

We did the Mystery Dinner and really enjoyed it. We sat with a bunch of our cruise critics.

We ate at Portofino's 4 out of the 9 nights. We loved the food, and the atmosphere.

I want to tell you that I enjoyed the Windjammer. I had heard such terrible things about it, but I found it to be good and an enormous variety. I never made it to breakfast, but my kids liked the waffles, and I often had a salad for lunch or a tuna sancwich. They also have sushi every night. So we would go up there around 6:30 and get a big plate and bring it back to the cabin and eat it on the balcony with drinks.

We had a cabin right under the WJ which turned out to be noisier than expected, but RCI bent over backwards to make it quieter by putting carpeting down.

Hope this helps!

Hi glad to hear you had a great cruise! Just wondering what cabin you were in. We have 1694 which is also under the Windjammer. Hopefully wont be too noisy. We had an aft on the Independence right under Windjammer this year and didnt notice the noise, just wondering whether it is a different set up on the Explorer???

Thanks

We took a cab to the Prudential Tower and it was $15/each way. It also leaves from the Museum of Science which may be closer to the ship. We chose the Prudential because there are a lot of restaurants/shopping in the area. There is a taxi line when you exit the Pier.

You can buy your tickets on line starting 30 days in advance for the exact time you want. They often sell out, so I would advise doing that. I believe the price was $25/pp.

Hi glad to hear you had a great cruise! Just wondering what cabin you were in. We have 1694 which is also under the Windjammer. Hopefully wont be too noisy. We had an aft on the Independence right under Windjammer this year and didnt notice the noise, just wondering whether it is a different set up on the Explorer???

Thanks

We were in 1394 which is the other JS on deck 10. They are right next to each other. I didn't ask our neighbors if they heard the same screeching we heard every morning starting at 6:30 AM. Almost all of the Windjammer is carpeted except an area above our cabin and probably over some of 1694. I have to be honest and tell you that we found it quite disturbing. They did put some strips of carpeting down which did help. The cabin is FANTASTIC though, very roomy, and a fabulous balcony with two lounge chairs, 3 chairs and a table. You'll love the cabin, just go talk to the manager of the Windjammer if you find it too disturbing.

We were in 1394 which is the other JS on deck 10. They are right next to each other. I didn't ask our neighbors if they heard the same screeching we heard every morning starting at 6:30 AM. Almost all of the Windjammer is carpeted except an area above our cabin and probably over some of 1694. I have to be honest and tell you that we found it quite disturbing. They did put some strips of carpeting down which did help. The cabin is FANTASTIC though, very roomy, and a fabulous balcony with two lounge chairs, 3 chairs and a table. You'll love the cabin, just go talk to the manager of the Windjammer if you find it too disturbing.

Ok thanks we will. Dont really want to give the cabin up as it is a great locations!

Sea Day...very foggy

Hope this helps!

Hey, welcome back! I was thinking about you over the last ten days or so. I'm sorry to hear that your weather wasn't as nice as ours was, but I'm happy that you still had a great time. I knew you'd love the kayaking. Did you meet Wanda?

Originally Posted by scgirlatheart viewpost.gif

We were on the July 31st cruise as well. Part of the Summer Explorer's Roll Call Group. Had a wonderful time. Yes, it did rain but we never let the weather ruin our vacation. We were in Portland early and beat the rain. Did the L.L. Bean shopping Shuttle. It rained off and on. But a really nice area.

The Quest was a riot. Our D.D{20} was a co- captain. They ask for one female and one male to represent the group and stand inside the rink. They divide the studio B into 10 groups. So everyone is involved. Most of the time you do alot of cheering as it is the co-captains that do alot of the running etc. I have never laughed so much in my life.

My husband uses a cane and my mother uses a walker. In Boston, my mother stayed on ship...her choice as she had done alot of walking in other ports. Had she wanted to come into Boston we would have taken a cab. My DH can do stairs so we opted for the shuttle $14 pp round trip. WE didn't have to wait any longer than 15 minutes for a shuttle and they didn't wait until it was full. On ship and when returning wheel chaitrs are offered and can be a great benefit as the ramps can be steep but are especially long. The crew will guide the wheelchair right up to the end of the pier to the gate. We used this a couple of times . This saves alot of walking. Hope this helps.

Anna

Hey, welcome back! I was thinking about you over the last ten days or so. I'm sorry to hear that your weather wasn't as nice as ours was, but I'm happy that you still had a great time. I knew you'd love the kayaking. Did you meet Wanda?

Did I meet Wanda? LOL! She came up and gave me a big hug, and mentioned me and my family over the PA on the bus back. And of course, I said to her that I have a big hello from Kelly. Even though it was drizzly, I think we enjoyed that excursion the most of any that we went on because it was fun! Sightseeing is sightseeing, but getting out there on the water and doing something physical and different was a blast. My two boys were the first kayak everywhere. They acted like this was a race. My younger one ended up with a blister on his thumb from rowing so hard. I can't wait to develope the water camera and see how the pics came out.

Our weather was pretty miserable, but we had a good time anyway. Just can't say that I'd want to do this particular cruise again.

My husband and I were also on the 7-31 cruise. We spoke to our previous cabin steward who works the 9th deck. He was called back on duty around 2am for a water problem. Whenever the pool overflows the cabins beneath it flood. Seems its an ongoing problem. They are just dealing with the problem until the ship goes into drydock next year!

ack! my cabin is on deck 9 and so are my friends!

We sail Thursday, hope everything is better by then....

We're going on the 28th for 9 nights, but our ports are different - Sydney, NS; Charlottetown, PEI; Quebec City; Halifax. Looking forward to the cruise, but really can't decide about the weather - hot, cold, jackets, shorts, or all the above?

We're on the same cruise. I'm from Boston and I'm planning cool to chilly conditions with a few pieces of summer stuff thrown in.

You should check out our group for this cruise at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565686

Hi! Can someone please tell me when the Explorer of the Seas is scheduled to go into drydock. Which deck is the pool on which had the leak? Is it deck eleven? Were the cabins on deck nine or deck ten involved in the leak from the pool water? I just was curious about the location of the cabins which were affected by the leak.

We were on the damp 7/31 cruise as well and had a blast. We enjoyed a few shore tours not yet discussed on this thread.

NEW LONDON

We did the RC tour to Newport and found it really informative and fun. The guides were outstanding as they explained the story about the building of the extravagant "cottages" built by the ultra rich of a hundred years ago or so. The Breakers cottage takes an hour or so to tour. It is well worth it.

BOSTON

We did the Fenway Park tour on our own. We shared a cab with tablemates. The fare should be less than $20 total. The tour is $12. The guide did far more than recite facts. He put on a spirited performance. His baseball stories were priceless. We walked up and down the park with stops in the press box and on the monster.

We then went to the Kennedy Library. Again the guides were excellent. Through their efforts and the various exhibits, the Kennedy years came alive for the two hours we spent their. We took a cab there and the "T" back to the Quincy Market area.

Even with the cab expense, I think we spent less than half the RC tour rate.

Thanks

we were in cabin 1673 under the windjammer and a had a little noise. nothing disturbing.

Karen, I have a question. When are we cruising with you and David again???

How are my favorite guy pals?? I miss you!! David and I watched the DVD last night and laughed all over again watching the Marriage Game portion. You both could have a second career in stand up comedy. David and I are booked for two cruises (see my signature). The MexRiv cruise is for my 60th birthday. We already have some really fun friends joining us. Hurry and call RCI and book it!!

Karen

Hey Cool Cruiser, I loved your review. I'm getting excited about our cruise!

Could you email me information about the hired car you had? paulaspage2006@bellsouth.net Thanks! My group will be on the Xploer Sept 11 and we are so looking for to it. Thanks!

You've got mail...:)

Karen