Bringing Liquor Onboard

I think I already know the answer to this question, BUT thought I would ask anyway.

My son/daughter-in-law are booked on the Jewel of the Seas in October and I know they are planning on bringing some alcohol plus a special bottle of wine they have been saving for a special occasion.

Based on some comments here, it appears that bringing alcohol onboard is a 'no no'. Correct?

And, if it is confiscated, will they get it back at the end of the cruise?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Yes, RCCL policy is you can't bring any alcohol onboard at all. Some get past with booze, some don't. If confiscated they'll give back at end of cruise. For wine bottles - put in bubble wrap and ziploc bag and put in middle of suitcase. For liquor - put in rum runners (google rum runner flasks - use REPEAT as a discount code) and put in a different suitcase than the wine bottle. I'd put those in a ziploc too - they are pretty sturdy - but one person reported a near puncture. There are threads about this (smuggling) on the money saving board with more detail.

I think I already know the answer to this question, BUT thought I would ask anyway.

My son/daughter-in-law are booked on the Jewel of the Seas in October and I know they are planning on bringing some alcohol plus a special bottle of wine they have been saving for a special occasion.

Based on some comments here, it appears that bringing alcohol onboard is a 'no no'. Correct?

Correct, it is against RC policy to bring any alcohol on the ship. If it is confiscated , and in original container, they will return it.

You must surrender any alcohol upon boarding the ship and it will be returned at the end of the cruise.

If you hide it and it is found, it will also be kept and returned at the end of the cruise. If it is not in its original container it will be dumped.

That has been the practice up until now, although you should be aware that it says you can be denied boarding as well. (Don't think that has ever happened.)

Hi there, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Please, if you smuggle, wrap your booze so that if the bottle does get smashed/broken/cracked the booze does not leak all over everyone else's suitcase, possibly ruining someone's entire cruise wardobe. I'm just sayin'...

Thanks!:)

Happy sails and happy smuggling!:)

we will be on EOS next month and plan on putting wine in our checked luggage. since we will be DRIVING to the ship, not flying, i think we will be ok as far as no breakage. i hope i am right! using bubble wrap, zip lock and a towel just in case.

From RCCL website:

Onboard Policies

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

and...from their Guest Conduct Policy (link below):

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to

minor(s); possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when

boarding, or while on board; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline

under the provisions of this policy.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

If anyone chooses to ignore the rules, it's their choice and they will, of course, readily accept any consequences that may arise if they get caught.

Water proof float bag, available at any outdoor or sports or camping store.

Yeah, they can deny you passage, but I don't believe it will ever happen for a having some booze in your bag if you are truly an adult. Now a college age kid, all bets are off.:D

jc

The alcohol police have arrived! No thread is complete without quotations. :eek:

You've got that right.

The more I read about the alcohol policy, the more confused I get.

RCI did away with the policy of buying a bottle of rum in the onboard store, paying the $9.00 fee, and taking the bottle to your room.

This is where I get confused:

Can't you buy a wine package onboard, pay the fee and have a bottle delivered to your cabin?

Also, is it still permissable for your TA to "give" you a bottle of wine and have it delivered to your room?

You've got that right.

The more I read about the alcohol policy, the more confused I get.

RCI did away with the policy of buying a bottle of rum in the onboard store, paying the $9.00 fee, and taking the bottle to your room.

This is where I get confused:

Can't you buy a wine package onboard, pay the fee and have a bottle delivered to your cabin?

Also, is it still permissable for your TA to "give" you a bottle of wine and have it delivered to your room?

Yes, you can buy unlimited amount of wine and dines and consume them in your cabin. Or you can order unlimited amounts of wine from the bar or room service for in your cabin. It is like they mistakenly believe that you can only get stupid drunk drinking vodka...

jc

Yes, you can buy unlimited amount of wine and dines and consume them in your cabin. Or you can order unlimited amounts of wine from the bar or room service for in your cabin. It is like they mistakenly believe that you can only get stupid drunk drinking vodka...

jc

Thanks JC.

That's exactly what I thought.

If I have this right:

1) The no alcohol policy is not about lost revenue- @ $9.00/bottle, they must have been making a ton of money

2) The no alcohol policy is not about keeping us safe from ourselves- You can get unlimited wine delivered to your room.

So, what is the reason for the policy?

Anyone?

It's about $$$.

Cost of drinks from own stash vs bar prices.

You an also get pretty much unlimited liquor drinks delivered to your cabin also

You can get sloshed on wine or liquor - as long as RCCL gets the money and you don't bring any on they are ok with it.

Thanks JC.

That's exactly what I thought.

If I have this right:

1) The no alcohol policy is not about lost revenue- @ $9.00/bottle, they must have been making a ton of money

2) The no alcohol policy is not about keeping us safe from ourselves- You can get unlimited wine delivered to your room.

So, what is the reason for the policy?

Anyone?

I believe it is largely about the $$$, but insurance reasons may also be a factor. It is possible that their insurer encouraged (via differing rates) to make it difficult for passengers to consume hard liquor in their staterooms. True you can get tanked off of wine, but it is easier to get tanked off of liquor.

Money is the route of it but it is probably more related to RCCL's insurers raising the insurance rates if they didn't tighten the alcohol policies. A lot of the alcohol restrictions went into place shortly after several high profile incidents involving alcohol on RCCL ships (George Smith and that guy that fell of the Mariner for example). So the rest of us get to pay for the stupidity of a few.

we will be on EOS next month and plan on putting wine in our checked luggage. since we will be DRIVING to the ship, not flying, i think we will be ok as far as no breakage. i hope i am right! using bubble wrap, zip lock and a towel just in case.

The luggage is just as likely to get crushed and/or mishandled in being loaded onboard the ship as on an airplane.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that not flying makes packing glass any easier.

The luggage is just as likely to get crushed and/or mishandled in being loaded onboard the ship as on an airplane.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that not flying makes packing glass any easier.

A great Olympic sport among dock workers. "Luggage Chugging"

If that were true it would be industry wide - particularly on lines known as 'party boats' -and certainly on all of RCCL's lines - but it isn't.

I believe it is largely about the $$$, but insurance reasons may also be a factor. It is possible that their insurer encouraged (via differing rates) to make it difficult for passengers to consume hard liquor in their staterooms. True you can get tanked off of wine, but it is easier to get tanked off of liquor.

If that were true it would be industry wide - particularly on lines known as 'party boats' -and certainly on all of RCCL's lines - but it isn't.

No, that is not necessarily true. Royal Caribbean has had a couple of high profile incidents that have involved people going overboard and large quantities of liquor. Their insurer could have threatened to raise their rates specifically if they did not take action to curtail this. I don't know this for a fact, but it would not surprise me in a least if pressure from an insurance company is a factor.

At least RCCL gives the stuff back at the end of the cruise.

This is from the Carnival Website FAQ.

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

At least RCCL gives the stuff back at the end of the cruise.

This is from the Carnival Website FAQ.

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Fascinating - they charge more to open the bottle in their pay restaurant than in the main dining room!

Archived