Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eastexascruiser

Tahiti shore excurion help

We are planning our 1st SC sailing next May to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. DH & I love to snorkel so this would be our main attraction during the trip. Are there snorkeling opportunities available where the ship anchors or would we need to always go with an excursion? We prefer to snorkel on our own. I saw the shore excursions listed on the website.

When we sailed WJ in 06, most of the time we could snorkel right where we anchored. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect on SC in Tahiti. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jan

The best opportunity for snorkeling outside of an excursion is the Private Motu day on Tahaa. That was a great day! The other islands don't have great snorkeling close to where the ship anchors. Everyone that took the snorkeling excursions enjoyed them very much. We dive, so didn't really pay too much attention to the snorkeling access though. If the surface conditions permit it, they do operate the water sports directly from the ship however. You could also consider getting scuba certified before you go, because the diving there is awesome and the sports team does an excellent job. One other thing, they do provide all your snorkeling gear on board. They have a meeting before reaching the first port to hand out equipment to anyone that is interested.

Mike