Air Tahiti Nui

parislady40

It doesn't even make a difference if you are a shared partner. United is with ATN, but they wouldn't check our bags all the way through from SF to Tahiti, but insisted that we haul them ourselves. Not a happy time. It might have been different if we has cruise air from SF to LA, but it was cheaper to book that leg oursevles.

Think of it as character buliding...:p

Thanks for your reply. It never occurred to me that I may have to take my bags to the international terminal. But now that I think about it, it makes sense. I am just glad that I know in advance so that I can really question United about it and make sure I am doing the right thing. It is what it is and I don't think it will be a big deal to drag the bags. As you say, character building, yes.

Nancy

Here's the info from ATN's site:

In compliance with Civil Aviation Safety Authority Regulations, it is necessary to limit the size; weight and number of each customers carry-on baggage.

Passengers (except infants) on Air Tahiti Nui are allowed the following carry-on baggage:

All Destinations (All Class of Services) Piece Allowance Maximum Dimensions

Combined dimensions

(length + width + height) Weight Limitation

(Maximum per piece)

Adult / Child

(From 2 years old) 1

*plus Personal item 45 in / 115 cm. 22lbs/10 kilos.

Infant

(0-23 months old) 0 not applicable not applicable

*In addition to your maximum allowance, the following personal items are permitted in the cabin (except infants): Walking stick, cane or crutches, Handbag or pocket book, Small camera case or binoculars, Infant bag or baby food, Briefcase or laptop computer with case.

Checked Baggage

All Destinations (Exception: Japan ) Class of Service Piece Allowance Maximum Dimensions

(length + width + height in total outside dimensions per piece)

Weight Limitation

(Maximum per piece)

Adult / Child

(From 2 years old) Economy 2 Free 62" / 158 cm's 50 lbs / 23kgs

First / Business 2 Free 62" / 158 cm's 70 lbs / 32 kg's

Just how far is it to drag the bags from international to Northwest? Any carts or help available, and how long does it take to get there?

It's still away three terminals - about a mile if you use the side walk. shorter (by a few yards), but with more obstacles inside according the the Princess Rep. It took us about 20 minutes to get there, but it was much faster when we got the cart on the return trip. They are available all over the place in the terminals and cost $3. Really are a much better way to go.

What kind of carryon can you take on ATN? We each have a medium backpack and I have a purse..are they OK? Does ATN charge for an extra checked bag when flying back to LAX?

Thanks, Sherry

Your backpacks and purse are fine and I don't believe there is a charge for the extra baggae from Tahiti to LA. I took a purse, a backpack and my DH took and over the shoulder computer satchel. They haven't put in the same rules as the domestic carriers (yet).

Ia orana

if you have to ask, it already means that you have packed far too much.

Lax has free shuttle buses to go around the terminals so it should not be a great concern how far each building is from each other.

Enjoy your trip

meherio

Ia orana

if you have to ask, it already means that you have packed far too much.

Lax has free shuttle buses to go around the terminals so it should not be a great concern how far each building is from each other.

Enjoy your trip

meherio

Thanks, Meherio

I figured their had to be an easier way.

Nancy

Ia orana

no more shyness around these forums... just ask..

For Tom Bradley building, the situation is getting better by the day

The new counters with flat screen TV pannels will be more enjoyable with flowing logo of the airline and videos of the destination or the aircraft. Great use of wood for the decor to warm up the cold concrete decor. (I Used to work there for many years during my AOM french Airlines days). The choice of restaurants and shops have improved and soon all the airlines will be in their respective Business class lounges ( no more single shared facility).

The price to pay now for a future world class international building ready for it's share of Mega Bus A380 Loads of passengers.

Glad to help

meherio (Also used to be a boy scout)

If you'll be walking to Bradley--put $3 in the machine and get your cart before beginning the walk--

I had no idea that this was the practice that the bags were not checked through--but....what would I know--I live in the LAX area

I have never heard this mentioned before--something new-- got to be a better way for the luggage--

Nancy:D

Oh sure, Meherio, NOW you tell me. Of course, I didn't ask either. A shuttle certainly would have been easier than hauling it ourselves.

It truly depends which airline you arrive in. The shuttles move counterclockwise in the airport. SO-if you fly in AA (terminal 4) you will go ALL THE WAY around the airport to get to TBIT. Not only that, you have to drag luggage on and off the shuttle, which are ALWAYS crowded and half the time, they stop halfway out in the roadway (they are not supposed to but they do).

Here a very good map of LAX. Walking to TBIT from T 2, 3, 4 and 5 is very doable. Get a cart at baggage claim and go for it. T-1, 6, 7 and 8 are a little far for me, but I have walked all over that airport, so it is doable.

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_map0.html

It truly depends which airline you arrive in. The shuttles move counterclockwise in the airport. SO-if you fly in AA (terminal 4) you will go ALL THE WAY around the airport to get to TBIT. Not only that, you have to drag luggage on and off the shuttle, which are ALWAYS crowded and half the time, they stop halfway out in the roadway (they are not supposed to but they do).

Here a very good map of LAX. Walking to TBIT from T 2, 3, 4 and 5 is very doable. Get a cart at baggage claim and go for it. T-1, 6, 7 and 8 are a little far for me, but I have walked all over that airport, so it is doable.

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_map0.html

Thanks for the map. It will be a big help.

Nancy

Does anyone know where you get the rental cars at LAX? I have to meet my husband there after we both arrive from different directions a couple of days before our ATN flight. Then we will have to return the car before leaving for Tahiti. Thanks, Sherry

Ia orana

there are so many companies available ( there are courtesy phones at each of the luggage delivery areas at LAx) You will be able to get a free shuttle to your company.

Just go to the one that is part of your airline mileage program.

Book in advance to get the best rate/ category available.

Meherio

West Coast Cruiser,

We flew United from Portland, OR to LAX and connected to ATN the very end of September. United checked our luggage all the way through. We never saw it after we left Portland until we arrived in Papeete. They didn't charge us for our bags, either, I'm assuming because we were connecting to an international flight. On the way back, ATN routed them to our United flight home, but you must pick up your bags in the international terminal in LAX, go through customs and place them on the belt to be sent onward to your final destination.

West Coast Cruiser,

We flew United from Portland, OR to LAX and connected to ATN the very end of September. United checked our luggage all the way through. We never saw it after we left Portland until we arrived in Papeete. They didn't charge us for our bags, either, I'm assuming because we were connecting to an international flight. On the way back, ATN routed them to our United flight home, but you must pick up your bags in the international terminal in LAX, go through customs and place them on the belt to be sent onward to your final destination.

Thanks for that information. So if United says they will check my bags straight through I won't worry. If you hadn't told me this I probably would have insisted on picking up my bags at LAX. We will see what United says to me Friday morning.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy - I would still worry as they refused to check ours from SF to Tahiti in spite of the fact that we fly United pretty much exclusively. Make sure you ask and have a great trip! I just noticed that we are down the road from you. It'll be much warmer in Tahiti.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a dumb question? but

If my wife and I are (t) flying in from Toronto via (LAX) and our AC flight lands at 10:55 am

Does anyone here think we can make an Air Tahiti Nui 1:00 Pm connection?

There's no customs in LAX - but if Air Canada doesn't have sharecode with ATN - by the time we pick up our luggage and transport it to the ATN check in counter - say 11:30 am (assuming the both fight are on time) it only leaves us maybe 90 min pre-flight

I checked the ATN website and the counter closes 60 min before (that leaves only 30 min leeway)

Would you chance it?

Does anyone know if we fly Business Class on ATN if the 60 min cut-off goes down to 40 or 45?

Thx

jc

Toronto

The question to ask yourself is, "what happens if the AC flight is late?"

If you really land at 10:55, and aren't delayed at the gate, and if your luggage shows up quickly (you can not check it through), the walk to Tom Bradley is quick.

But, if any of the above doesn't happen, you're cooked. I would not chance it.

I think we're coming through on the same AC flight in less than 3 weeks. But our ATN flight isn't until 6'ish. Now that's *too* long, but I'd rather that than the reverse.

Probably a dumb question? but

If my wife and I are (t) flying in from Toronto via (LAX) and our AC flight lands at 10:55 am

Does anyone here think we can make an Air Tahiti Nui 1:00 Pm connection?

There's no customs in LAX - but if Air Canada doesn't have sharecode with ATN - by the time we pick up our luggage and transport it to the ATN check in counter - say 11:30 am (assuming the both fight are on time) it only leaves us maybe 90 min pre-flight

I checked the ATN website and the counter closes 60 min before (that leaves only 30 min leeway)

Would you chance it?

Does anyone know if we fly Business Class on ATN if the 60 min cut-off goes down to 40 or 45?

Thx

jc

Toronto

JC - I wouldn't chance it. We had our flight moved from arrival at 9:45 t0 10:45 (by the airline) and I pitched a fit until my DH rebooked us with an earlier flight. We got in at 9:15 and had a very short time to wait when all was said and done. Luggage doesn't come quickly at LAX - we waited at least a half an hour for our suitcases. Then there is the physical act of getting from one terminal to the other.

No, there is no extra minutes for Business class, the desk closes for everyone at the same time.

If you can, I would either book an earlier flight or fly in a day sooner. There are not usually seats left on a later flight for you to be bumped into, unless you want to make the jump to First Class (and sometimes, not even they are available).

Has anyone been able to check their bags all the way to Tahiti instead of having to pick them up in LA and recheck them? I am flying Delta to LAX on Monday.

I returned home from Tahiti about 2 hours ago. I was able to check my luggage straight through to Tahiti from United in Sacramento. They have an agreement with ATN and it worked very well. This morning we went through immigration and customs at LAX and then handed our luggage back and it arrived in Sacramento with me this afternoon.

LAX is a bit of a zoo, but it is worth it for this beautiful trip to Paradise.

WCC

Archived