Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rxginny

Xcaret Waterpark

We were thinking about doing the Xcaret waterpark, has anyone done this? How was it?

I personally hated it. It was dirty and the staff were unfriendly. The cave water was too cold to swim in (61 degrees) and the wildlife looked to be neglected (in some cases). I hear that Shell Ha (forgive the spelling) (Xellha?) is a better bet.

My wife and I went to Xel-ha and loved it. It was my first serious snorkelling experience so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to but we had a blast. It wasn't all that expensive either. If you go, hang out by the bridge. There was a lot more scenery and fish to look at out there.

We went there a few years ago in December 2005- just after the hurricane - some parts were closed - but the parts we were able to do were wonderful. We did the cave swim and it was one of the highlights of our trip

DH and I were there in August 2006... it was just OK. Water in the caves was definitely chilly... but cold water isn't a big deal... the whole thing was fine, but nothing to write home about. Animals looked tired, displays were worn out... I wouldn't go back for what they're charging. If it were $20, maybe... but not for the $50+ we paid per person.

Thanks for the advice, I dont know that we want to pay $91 for this, seems a little expensive. I think we might stick to one of the beaches instead ;)

We did it a few years ago maybe 5 and enjoyed ourselves no complaints the ruins there looked more like something from disneyworld but we had a good time with a beach right there afterward i dont think we spent 91 sounds a little steep:eek:

I've been to both a few times on land vacations. I am one who prefers Xcaret over Xel-Ha. I'm guessing your price includes transportation, cause it's 60-something to get in.

However, part of the draw to Xcaret now adays is the evening show, which you would not be able to see on a cruise stop.

Otherwise I enjoyed the snorkeling and the underground rivers. I liked the butterfly pavillion and the bird thing. the beekeeping since I'd seen that on TV at one point, interrested me. The plants and flowers too. To me it's also less crowded than the other park.

I've been to both a few times on land vacations. I am one who prefers Xcaret over Xel-Ha. I'm guessing your price includes transportation, cause it's 60-something to get in.

However, part of the draw to Xcaret now adays is the evening show, which you would not be able to see on a cruise stop.

Otherwise I enjoyed the snorkeling and the underground rivers. I liked the butterfly pavillion and the bird thing. the beekeeping since I'd seen that on TV at one point, interrested me. The plants and flowers too. To me it's also less crowded than the other park.

Where are Xcaret and Xel-Ha???

We absolutely loved both parks. We were at an all inclusive resort so we didn't have to pay for tickets. We are planning another trip to that area just so we can go to these parks again.

I absolutely loved Xcaret and would do it again in a second, for the same price. We loved the underground river float - I think they said it was 61 degrees, but it was not at all uncomfortable, and was something I've never done anywhere else. The aquariums were just beautiful, and we didn't even manage to see any of the native displays - lots to do to fill your day. We ate at their restaurant, which was the best meal of our entire cruise (and we really enjoyed the food onboard the Miracle). If you enjoy the zoo/theme park atmosphere at home, then you will probably enjoy this trip. Have you visited their website? It gives a good idea of what to expect and may help you make a decision: http://www.xcaret.com/

without the evening show I thought it was a wash and would not do it unless it was on the cheap which it wasnt when we went. The evening show makes the place and only all inclusive vacationers can have time for this. I loved the evenign show and better than some broadway shows.

The kiddos love Xcarat . Lots of shows but snorkeling is better at xelha. If you are short on time, Xcarat is probably a better choice. It seems smaller than Xelha.