Sydney, Nova Scotia

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Sydney this week. You need to get OUT of Sydney in order to see some scenery. The tourist office in the cruise terminal has a large poster with some sample taxi tours that are available. They cost approximately $175 for 3 hours for 4 people, which is very reasonable. Lots of taxis and tour companies were waiting in the parking lot.

However, if you want to see the most scenic parts of the Cabot Trail, you need more than 3 hours and alot more than $175. We chose to just do a little of the trail, some of the lake, and a scenic lunch in Baddeck.

Sydney itself isn't very impressive, and the shopping street was very minimal.

• 4 months later...
Trying to decide which tour to take in Sydney. Scenie Baddeck and Bell Museum or Fortress of Louisbourg. Any Suggestions?

I am assuming your cruise is over and I wondered which tour you took. We are scheduled to cruise there July 2009 on the Maasdam and are faced with the same choice!

• 2 weeks later...

Also curious. We'll be in Sydney on June 30.

Sydney was once the main population centre for a coal mining area which has long since closed its doors. So I concur with those who say there is not a lot to do in Sydney. Then again, I've never been there and am just basing it on my historical knowledge of the area.

Still, Cape Breton Island, the part of NS where Sydney is located is one of the most idyllic parts of Atlantic Canada and tourism is coming to the area in a big way. Between the Fortress of Louisburg, the Bell Museum in Baddeck, the Cabot Trail and Bras d'Or Lake there is plenty to see - just remember you have to drive out of the city.

We're still deciding but it would be nice to hear what those who have been there can recommend as decent tours or activities.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would also highly reccommend The Fortress of Louisbourg. It is an amazing re creation. there is a lot of walking involved and it covers a large area.

We will be in sydney in July on our cruise and have bgen there four other times on cruises. The town is very small and you do need to take a tour somewhere from Sydney. There is a very large craft area right at the dock. The items for sale are of excellent quality but there is not much in the town.

Cabot Trail is one of the most scenic road I have ever seen (I can't decide which was the most scenic, the train ride in the Rockies or Cabot Trail... you get the idea how much I recommend it) BUT I also enjoyed the Fortress of Louisbourg very, very much. It really is a hard choice (If I was coming by ship, I think I would take an excursion to the Fortress but if I was doing a road trip, then I would choose Cabot Trail).

Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all passengers looking to come to the Port of Sydney and beautiful Cape Breton Island. Here is a bit of information about our Port to assist you in your planning:

Our main tour operator in Sydney is

Atlantic Cruise Ship Services - http://gatewaylinking.com/ACSS

Suite 202 - 2000 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS B3J 3K1

Tel: 902-492-3406

Fax: 902-453-1637

Email: gbegg@atlanticcruiseship.ca

Shore excursions and land programs for cruise lines.

Attached is a listing of car rental agencies and cab/tour operators in the Port of Sydney.

If you have any questions please contact me at 902-564-0800.

Also, here are some links that might be helpful:

http://www.downtownsydney.ca

http://www.oldsydney.com

Thanks,

Christina

FiddleReeves362.jpg.bcfaea4e40b291993a8324499a50aab5.jpg

Tours,Cabs,and Car Rentals 2009.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

We rented through Budget. They will pick you up and drop you off at the cruise pier and they are about a 5 minute drive to the office. Their prices are very reasonable. We are going to see the "Fort", but going the scenic way as we have been told it is truly a beautiful drive.

:)I too have booked with Budget what date will you be in Sydney?

We rented through Budget. They will pick you up and drop you off at the cruise pier and they are about a 5 minute drive to the office. Their prices are very reasonable. We are going to see the "Fort", but going the scenic way as we have been told it is truly a beautiful drive.

:)we will be there on the Crown Princess sept 29th so I hope you post when you return..I was reading posts about canada on CC and it states on 1 that at the tourism desk at the port they will call the car rental place to come and pick you up right there...quote=Helluvaengineer;19319491]We'll be on the May 30th Maasdam cruise from Boston to Montreal. I guess that puts us in Sydneyon June 3d I think.

Hi there,

Which Budget location is 5 minutes from the port? Is it this one? 224 WELTON STREET - YY5

SYDNEY, CA

Thanks,

Kim

Hi there,

Which Budget location is 5 minutes from the port? Is it this one? 224 WELTON STREET - YY5

SYDNEY, CA

Thanks,

Kim

I lived there for many years but haven't been back for 3-4 years. There used to be a Budget location near the harbour but according to the Budget web site there are only 2 locations, the one you posted plus the airport location. This one on Welton Street is definately closer than the airport and would be about 5-10 minutes away.

I lived there for many years but haven't been back for 3-4 years. There used to be a Budget location near the harbour but according to the Budget web site there are only 2 locations, the one you posted plus the airport location. This one on Welton Street is definately closer than the airport and would be about 5-10 minutes away.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for verifying the budget location nearest to the port, I appreciate it!:)

Also, I noticed that you are in Halifax, my two sons (11 &13) REALLY want to see the bay of Fundy and our ship (HAL Maasdam 5/30) does not visit St John which I believe is closest to the Bay of Fundy. Do you think it would be doable to rent a car and drive to the Bay of Fundy from the port of Halifax instead? (Our ship will be in port from 8 - 5 on a Monday) If so, how long would you expect the drive to take? Thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions!

Kim

If you are talking about the Bay of Fundy National Park with famous Hopewell Rocks, no it cannot be done in one day (it's approximately a 4-hour drive maybe more, one way).

If you want to see the Nova Scotia part of the bay, then the city of Joggins has a Fossil's Center which seems very interesting : http://novascotia.com/en/home/aboutnovascotia/uniquely_novascotia/bay_of_fundy/default.aspx

Joggins is about 2.5 hrs from Halifax, so it's would still be very tight.

If I were you, I would simply plan another trip to visit to New Brunswick. We have a big country.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for verifying the budget location nearest to the port, I appreciate it!:)

Also, I noticed that you are in Halifax, my two sons (11 &13) REALLY want to see the bay of Fundy and our ship (HAL Maasdam 5/30) does not visit St John which I believe is closest to the Bay of Fundy. Do you think it would be doable to rent a car and drive to the Bay of Fundy from the port of Halifax instead? (Our ship will be in port from 8 - 5 on a Monday) If so, how long would you expect the drive to take? Thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions!

Kim

As the other poster mentioned it would take you at least a couple of hours from Halifax depending on where you go. While it's not the same it you simply head north on the main highway towards Truro you can see some rivers that are affected by the tides and have a tidal "bore". Depending on when you are there the river is at full height or is a a mud flat with a small brook running through it. These rivers feed directly into the Bay of Fundy and Truro is about an hours drive from Halifax.

JP2001 & Rick,

Thanks for your insight and suggestions. I will research JP2001's suggested possibility of Joggins and consider Ricks insight into showing my kids the tidal bore's effect on Truro's rivers as that might partially satisfy their curiousity and desire to see the Bay of Fundy for now and we could tie in some of Halifax's interesting places with this being Truros only a hour drive. I'm just a big kid to and would have loved to have squeezed a visit to the Bay of Fundy too but yes I have to be realistic too. Hmm, What's the best thing to do in Halifax? We love history, are active, and despite only having a single day in port, we try to get a real taste for the towns we visit.

I know, yes It's so that true Canada is an immense country and the sights are frequently far away from each other but we want to see as much as possible in a day:)

I'm married to a Canadian and just visiting my in-laws who live in the rural town of Tweed is a long hike from the airport but we try and enjoy the peacefulness of the less taken roads but also love the charm of Canada's larger cities too. That's what's enticing about this cruise that visits both Nova Scotia and the cities of Quebec and Montreal, as my sons and I only been to the larger Canadian cities of Toronto and Ottawa and the areas surrounding the University of Waterloo as that's where my husband went to college and where many of his old friends still reside.

Anyhow, thanks again and have a great day!

Hello Rick,

Kim

Make sure you have your camera and go to Citadel Hill in Halifax

Archived