Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jets_to_july

Calica to Coba???? 3 people

ok, my cruise ship ports in Calica from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. I really want to drive and see Coba. Is renting a car a good idea? How is parking? I am going to be with two of my best friends, we just basically want to run through and see the main parts of Coba, climb the pyramid etc. has anybody done this? will we have extra time once we get back near Tulum to swing by and see the ruins on the beach? I know I am trying to logistically cram alot into one day, but we are very mobile and can cover alot of ground in a short amount of time. Will we have enough time to port, get rental car, drive to Coba, quick overview of main sites there, head back swing by Tulum, dip in the ocean and then head back to the ship? I figure if the boat ports at 7a.m. we probably will not be able to get the rental until around 8-8:30.

It's doable. Coba is a very nice ruins, IMHO much better buildings than Tulum. Tulum has the fantastic view. The road to Coba is very good, 2 lane highway, well marked. Another thing to help you speed up at Coba is to rent a bike or a bike taxi.Both are available near the entrance. Bike is $5 per person, Bike taxi is $6-7 for two people plus a nice tip for the "driver". The main temple is over a mile from the entrance. I'd advise climbing to the top while you can. They are thinking about stopping the climbing. I climbed Chichen Itza when you could and did Coba this year. It's worth the effort.

Agree, Coba is worth the effort. There is also bus service, for not to much money (I think about $4 each way), but not sure of the schedule.

We rented from Executive from the pier. It was a 4 door Nissan kinda like a Sentra. It had AC but was a stick. Make sure you get all the additional insurance you can. We paid $60 for the rental and all the insurance. The rental itself was only $35. I have read bad things if you get in a wreck without the additional insurance. Tulum was only 45 minutes south from the pier. We also thought about doing both Coba and Tulum but decided to snorkel instead at Yal Ku Lagoon which was awesome. Have a great trip!