New teeth in liqour policy?

boatdrinks

:( I have been on numerous cruises, the last being NCL Pearl April "07, And have always packed a "bar pouch" of various size nalgene bottles of rum, etc., and packed it in my luggage that was delivered to the room. I have never had it removed and held to the end of the cruise. Are those days over? From some of the threads I have read, it sounds like any questionable bottle in x-rayed luggage are being tagged and searched. I think my upcoming NCL cruises' bar bill just went up!

Boatdrinks:(

Yes, NCL's tough! You'll get lots of feedback on this issue. Pouches may get through, though. If not, they'll keep it till the end of the cruise.

NCL does have a nice in-cabin bar setup program, however. It's not a cheap per liter price, but it's way cheaper than a drink by drink price.

You can bring on as much wine as you'd like for a $15 service fee each.

There's another Boat_Drink person on this board. At first I was confused!

I think it's hit or miss. I have read a lot about it also and used to bring in my own but opted to do the bar setup just to make it easy. So it cost a little (ha!) more but it's there you don't have to worry about sneaking stuff on, having your luiggage confiscated, going to the naughty room and getting all cranky because they took your booze. You can still try but those are the consequences you will pay if you get caught. Good luck with whatever you choose to do:)

I say take the chance, what do you have to loose? If you get it through, you win, if you don't, so what?:p

I have no problem paying the $15 per bottle fee on the wine bottles, just bring a 1.5 ltr jug, that way you get your moneys worth.

On last cruise, had a carry-on with two 1.5 ltr bottles and was sent to the toll booth and showed the lady one of the bottles (neck only) :cool: and she charged me the $15 and sent me on my way:D. Also had a bottle from our TA waiting in the room and took it to dinner and was not asked any questions about paying the $15 on that one.

You can't win if you don't play!;)

I say take the chance, what do you have to loose? If you get it through, you win, if you don't, so what?:p

I have no problem paying the $15 per bottle fee on the wine bottles, just bring a 1.5 ltr jug, that way you get your moneys worth.

On last cruise, had a carry-on with two 1.5 ltr bottles and was sent to the toll booth and showed the lady one of the bottles (neck only) :cool: and she charged me the $15 and sent me on my way:D. Also had a bottle from our TA waiting in the room and took it to dinner and was not asked any questions about paying the $15 on that one.

You can't win if you don't play!;)

you were not asked because if your agent sent it and it was in your cabin it was NCLs wine or whatever company. You only pay the corkage on what you bring on. We too, have done the 1.5 liter.

Nita

you were not asked because if your agent sent it and it was in your cabin it was NCLs wine or whatever company. You only pay the corkage on what you bring on. We too, have done the 1.5 liter.

Nita

Not always... our first cruise on the Sun our TA sent one and it was in our room. When we tried to have it opened in the dining room, they said we had to pay a corkage fee... oh ya, that went over well with my DH. Needless to say, after a little "discussion" we didn't pay.

:cool: :cool: OK YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE LIQUOR ON BOARD BUT THEY DO NOT STOCK WHAT I DRINK!!!! THEY DO NOT CARRY SOUTHERN COMFORT 100 PROOF AND THEY DONT HAVE MOUNY GAY RUM!! IM ON VACATION AND CANT GET A DRINK OF WHAT I DRINK:mad: THERE BY I FEEL ITS UNFAIR EITHER STOCK EVERYTHING OR LET THE PASSANGERS BRING IT FROM HOME WE ALL KNOW THE REASON IS TO MAKE MONEY BUT FAIR IS FAIR AS YOU CAN BRING THE WINE OF YOUR CHOICE AND YOU CAN BUY A SODA CARD I FEEL THE FIRST SHIP THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BRING BOOZE ON BOARD WILL BE SAILING 100% FULL ON EVERY SAIL JUST MY THOUGHTS:cool:

:cool: :cool: OK YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE LIQUOR ON BOARD BUT THEY DO NOT STOCK WHAT I DRINK!!!! THEY DO NOT CARRY SOUTHERN COMFORT 100 PROOF AND THEY DONT HAVE MOUNY GAY RUM!! IM ON VACATION AND CANT GET A DRINK OF WHAT I DRINK:mad: THERE BY I FEEL ITS UNFAIR EITHER STOCK EVERYTHING OR LET THE PASSANGERS BRING IT FROM HOME WE ALL KNOW THE REASON IS TO MAKE MONEY BUT FAIR IS FAIR AS YOU CAN BRING THE WINE OF YOUR CHOICE AND YOU CAN BUY A SODA CARD I FEEL THE FIRST SHIP THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BRING BOOZE ON BOARD WILL BE SAILING 100% FULL ON EVERY SAIL JUST MY THOUGHTS:cool:

Great point. But.. you can ask for your poison when you order a bar setup for your cabin. I've read that they do try to accommodate. It's worth a shot.

OK YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE LIQUOR ON BOARD BUT THEY DO NOT STOCK WHAT I DRINK!!!! THEY DO NOT CARRY SOUTHERN COMFORT 100 PROOF AND THEY DONT HAVE MOUNY GAY RUM!! IM ON VACATION AND CANT GET A DRINK OF WHAT I DRINK THERE BY I FEEL ITS UNFAIR EITHER STOCK EVERYTHING OR LET THE PASSANGERS BRING IT FROM HOME WE ALL KNOW THE REASON IS TO MAKE MONEY BUT FAIR IS FAIR AS YOU CAN BRING THE WINE OF YOUR CHOICE AND YOU CAN BUY A SODA CARD I FEEL THE FIRST SHIP THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BRING BOOZE ON BOARD WILL BE SAILING 100% FULL ON EVERY SAIL JUST MY THOUGHTS

It's not like having Southern Conmfort and Mouny Gay Rum is a constitutional right. If you have to have those things, then take a different vacation.

I absolutely agree with you BUT, the terms of passage do say that boarding can be denied to anyone trying to bring alcohol onboard. The you know what would hit the fan if that were to happen. Actually I would love to see it happen and really see these boards light up.:eek: :D

"...the terms of passage do say that boarding can be denied to anyone trying to bring alcohol onboard..."

Which is exactly why I have chickened out and will not be sneaking any booze onboard. One of these days they are going to decided to get tough, and with my luck it would be with me...

I used to work as a Manager at a Quick service restaurant and we had a policy, that is, What do you do if you see a customer bring in food from a competitor and starts eating it in your dining room.........answer: Treat them as any other coustomer. They may not be a customer now but they will be in the future.

The problem I have with drinks/alcohol on a cruise is, It's ok in every ones budget to purchase a couple of drinks here and there when in a lounge, bar or even the pool area but having to purchase all of your booze at those prices is too much. You are on a ship and can't make a trip to the grocery store or liquor store to buy some drinks, it's like a monopoly. The only choices are not to drink on the ship, get wasted at port or sneak some in. I think those that do sneak in alcohol on the ship have larger bar tabs than the average cruiser.

Lets say you have a couple of drinks in your cabin that you snuck on board. Chances are you are going to be in a public area and order some drinks to maintain your buzz or your mood.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Western or Princess do not take my bottle of wine from me when I check in. Why should NCL do so? I am on my first NCL cruise in a few months after 23 cruises on other lines. If they give me a hard time about bringing wine onboard I will not cruise with them again.

Best Western or Princess do not take my bottle of wine from me when I check in. Why should NCL do so? I am on my first NCL cruise in a few months after 23 cruises on other lines. If they give me a hard time about bringing wine onboard I will not cruise with them again.

Not only can you take a bottle of wine, but several. You will have to pay a corkage fee of $15/each at boarding. Enjoy your cruise.

:rolleyes: Interesting, I was unaware that Best Western had an x-ray machine to scan your luggage for alcohol before you enter the hotel . . .

I'm just confused how you can compare a budget hotel with a cruise.

My only question is if you (or anyone) knows beforehand what the rules are, why be so beligerant and purposely break them AND THEN threaten you won't cruise with them again? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

But, whatever. I enjoy drinks, but I know going into it that they are pricey and my life doesn't revolve around alcohol.

Have a nice cruise.

Well, you do have options. You don't have to cruise with a company that prohibits alcohol. Many others DO permit you to bring your own booze. Crystal Cruises and Disney cruises both allow you to bring on your own booze (which must be consumed in your stateroom only)..there are others. So, help them sail "100% full on every sail" and book with them.

However, you have chosen to cruise with a company that doesn't permit alcohol....then you complain about it, calling it unfair. It's not unfair at all. Their ships, their rules. You can opt not to go.

It's true; it's your vacation. You have chosen the wrong company to cruise with, apparently.

Wow . . . not really sure how to respond to THIS without getting into trouble here. So, Wow - hopefully your grandkids don't read this as you are certainly setting a very poor example . . .

And we say the the 20-somethings live in the "I" "Me" world . . . looks like 60-somethings are the new 20-somethings . . . :rolleyes:

Don't we all wise we were in our 20's again. In about 20 more years you may have experienced enough life to broaden your outlook. My grand children all have minds of there own and don't join the kool-aid drinkers. Try to live a little each day and do something on the edge. Your golden years will be much more exciting.

Don't we all wise we were in our 20's again. In about 20 more years you may have experienced enough life to broaden your outlook. My grand children all have minds of there own and don't join the kool-aid drinkers. Try to live a little each day and do something on the edge. Your golden years will be much more exciting.

Thanks but my life is wonderful - I follow the rules and don't piss and moan about the rules if I don't like them.

And no, I don't wish I was in my 20's again - I enjoy being in my 40's.

Doing something on the edge is bungy-jumping, not purposely disregarding a cruiseline's rules. That's just disrespectful. Such a shame for you.

As for your grandkids, my point was to show them the proper way to behave, you know, being respectful and having a positive attitude. Um, setting a good example -- maybe you should break out the kool-aid pitcher for that and force them to follow good examples!

There are rules that exist because of laws, and other rules that exist for your personal safety. These must be obeyed without question.

There are other rules which exist only to fatten the wallet of the cruise line. The liquor policy is one of these. I don't give this rule the same respect I give the "real" rules.

I used to work as a Manager at a Quick service restaurant and we had a policy, that is, What do you do if you see a customer bring in food from a competitor and starts eating it in your dining room.........answer: Treat them as any other coustomer. They may not be a customer now but they will be in the future.

The problem I have with drinks/alcohol on a cruise is, It's ok in every ones budget to purchase a couple of drinks here and there when in a lounge, bar or even the pool area but having to purchase all of your booze at those prices is too much. You are on a ship and can't make a trip to the grocery store or liquor store to buy some drinks, it's like a monopoly. The only choices are not to drink on the ship, get wasted at port or sneak some in. I think those that do sneak in alcohol on the ship have larger bar tabs than the average cruiser.

Lets say you have a couple of drinks in your cabin that you snuck on board. Chances are you are going to be in a public area and order some drinks to maintain your buzz or your mood.

Just my 2 cents.

"only choices are not to drink on the ship, get wasted at port or sneak some in"

Seems I read this a lot here. There is, however, an additional choice which doesn't seem to come up as often. SAVE your money until you can afford both the cruise and your habit.

NCL's alchohol policy is why I now cruise with Princess. Their rules allow 2 bottles of wine and they NEVER bother you if you have more as long as you drink it in your room. NCL is only killing themselves. As a previous poster said, the people bringing wine on usually have a bigger bar tab than the people who don't.

Archived