Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christinabeena

Gustav

Okay...I am scheduled to leave Friday. Just got home and the news has Miami and Nassau in the "cone" of the storm.

Question - if they were to detour us, what places would be options? It's only a 3 day, so I am assuming nowhere too far. Also, one person in my party is still using the birth certificate instead of passport method to travel - soo I am also assuming we cannot go anywhere else besides Bahamas or Key West? Anybody know if we can still go anywhere else without passports?

You can go anywhere without a passport in the Caribbean if you are traveling by ship. It is only if you are flying that one is required. In your case, they might reverse the ports of call or cancel Key West all together. It would become a seaday.

Right now it is still early for them to make decisions. All we can do is play devil's advocate and hope for the best. For me just being on the ship and experiancing something out of the ordinary is fun in itself. Just go with an open mind.

Dave

You can go anywhere without a passport in the Caribbean if you are traveling by ship. It is only if you are flying that one is required. In your case, they might reverse the ports of call or cancel Key West all together. It would become a seaday.

Right now it is still early for them to make decisions. All we can do is play devil's advocate and hope for the best. For me just being on the ship and experiancing something out of the ordinary is fun in itself. Just go with an open mind.

Dave

Thanks! we actually only go to Bahamas, get there Sat am and leave Sun morning. I was thinking they'd change to Key West worst case scenario, but now that I think about it if it comes this way, both places will be affected anyways. I've been to the bahamas a million times and honestly don't care if we make it or not, so an only at sea cruise will work just fine. Thanks for your help!

Yep, looks like it is going to be a fun pre-cruise week -- all eyes on the hurricane forecasts. As long as they let me on the ship, they can stay in the Port of Tampa - and hey, if they need to keep us out a few extra days, oh well! (;) AS LONG AS the booze does not dry up.)

Now, for the question:

We just decided to drive down and not fly. I have already submitted all of my flight info to Carnival. I hadn't planned on telling them any different, as it wouldn't matter, in most cases. But with the very slim possibility of our return port being changed, should I notify them that my pre & post cruise travel has changed?

Looks like there's a lot of us leaving around9/6 and 9/7. I don't think Gustav is what we have to worry about, look what's behind it, 3 more areas of disturbances that could go anywhere or do anything! Fingers crossed for everyone!;)

Yep, looks like it is going to be a fun pre-cruise week -- all eyes on the hurricane forecasts. As long as they let me on the ship, they can stay in the Port of Tampa - and hey, if they need to keep us out a few extra days, oh well! (;) AS LONG AS the booze does not dry up.)

Now, for the question:

We just decided to drive down and not fly. I have already submitted all of my flight info to Carnival. I hadn't planned on telling them any different, as it wouldn't matter, in most cases. But with the very slim possibility of our return port being changed, should I notify them that my pre & post cruise travel has changed?

Just go to Carnival.com and change your information in your Funpass. No need to call.

Dave

This should be inresting. My stepson is to leave this weekend for 5-days out of tampa. It is also his First time. Something tells me he'll end up in Progresso instead of Cozumel

i wouldnt mind progresso...havent been yet..

My brother is on the Conquest right now. How can I tell if they are redirecting the ship and taking him to other ports? They are supposed to be in Jamaica tomorrow and Grand Cayman on Wednesday. Doesn't look like it's exactly going to be good sunny weather. Wonder what they will do.

Looks like there's a lot of us leaving around9/6 and 9/7. I don't think Gustav is what we have to worry about, look what's behind it, 3 more areas of disturbances that could go anywhere or do anything! Fingers crossed for everyone!;)

What else are you looking at that shows disturbances behind this one?

I see Invest #95....

Just go to Carnival.com and change your information in your Funpass. No need to call.

Dave

I will do it from work tomorrow ... my computer does not get along with the documents and funpass areas... or maybe it is the computer operator;) .

Until the standing waters around my home either soak into the ground, or evaporate, I'm going to totally pretend I don't have a dreamin' clue what this entire thread is about.

I didn't see this - I don't know about this - Zero - Zilch - Nada

la la la la la la la la

augh I'm so worried. :(

I'm getting MARRIED at Disney World on September 1st, if I even still have a wedding. :(

We're leaving on our cruise on the 7th too... I also am really worried about the area behind it.

I know there's nothing I can do but man I can't take the stress! If it was just the cruise no biggie but they will cancel my wedding if there is a hurricane! :eek:

Sorry kind of off topic but I'm freaking out!!!

I am still 18 days out. I hope gustav does not go into the gulf, I also hope it dont follow fays path.. I would love to see it go straight north and miss everyone. I want to yell at the weatherman on the weather channel to be quite we don't need bad news.

Okay...I am scheduled to leave Friday. Just got home and the news has Miami and Nassau in the "cone" of the storm.

Question - if they were to detour us, what places would be options? It's only a 3 day, so I am assuming nowhere too far.

I am wondering the same thing, pretty limited to where they can reroute

augh I'm so worried. :(

I'm getting MARRIED at Disney World on September 1st, if I even still have a wedding. :(

We're leaving on our cruise on the 7th too... I also am really worried about the area behind it.

I know there's nothing I can do but man I can't take the stress! If it was just the cruise no biggie but they will cancel my wedding if there is a hurricane! :eek:

Sorry kind of off topic but I'm freaking out!!!

Don't worry, Disney is completely out of the cone for now so I'm sure you'll be fine. Only the Southwest part of florida is still in the cone, it looks like it's going to go into the Gulf of Mexico and then Heaven help where it lands as it's projected to be a large storm.

Even scarier...we leave this SATURDAY with stops in GRAND CAYMAN and COZUMEL. Is it just me or that its exact projected path?:eek:

We just did that ship/tour last week as Fay was wobbling about. It was our first cruise and I was very concerned about what they were going to do. There was talk of stopping in Key West before the storm and stopping in Progresso as it was passing over Cuba, but they simply ended up switching itinerary - Cozumel first, then Cayman. We only got 5 hours on Cozumel :(, but everything else was fine. It was amazing to know that the hurricane was out there but it was impossible to tell from the weather. It was absolutely beautiful the entire time. It seems the effects of these storms are fairly concentrated and drop off quickly with distance. What is concerning though is if this goes as predicted, it could enter the gulf as a category 3. Plenty of warm open water to strengthen more before it makes US landfall.

Sheer curiosity.....what happens if it stalls out in the Gulf of Mexico? What happens to all the sailings out of Tampa and Mobile?

I know that cruiselines try not to cancel a cruise.......but that's what we're wondering.

We don't sail until the 7th so I don't think this one will affect us but IF it were to stall it could possibly affect us. Doubtful, though. :confused:

If the storm stalls in the Gulf of Mexico, the cruise line will then move their ships out of the Gulf area (for obvious safety reasons) and probably re-route them to the Port of Miami or Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), another option would be to leave the ship at sea for another day or two, until it is safe to return to their homeport.

Ohhh Boyyy !! Not another one! I live in Miami, FL - so unfortunately have to deal with these things constantly. Not too mention Fay was a little B*tch, she didn't hit us direclty, but caused alot of disruption and lots of rain last week.

I am also scheduled to leave on the Fascination on Friday, for a 3 day bahamas cruise. Do you know what will happen if the storm affects are path? Will we be detoured somewhere else? Key West would probably be the only option and chances are both places will be affected? Help!

The storm is not pointing towards Florida or the Bahamas, you should be just fine.

Have a great trip.:)

This thing is going to be a beast with it intensifying so quickly! I too leave next weekend out of Orlando (9/6). Gustov better be long gone!

You are leaving out of Orlando? I believe it will probably be out of Port Canaveral instead, as Orlando is in the middle of Florida. If you are leaving out of Port Canaveral, you should be just fine, as the storm is heading towards the Gulf of Mexico.

Even scarier...we leave this SATURDAY with stops in GRAND CAYMAN and COZUMEL. Is it just me or that its exact projected path?:eek:

If the storm continues with the same path as right now, the cruise line will most likely re-route your cruise to other islands instead.;)

We leave Saturday also with stops in Progreso and Cozumel. We will be in Cozumel the same day as you. There are several paths shown but this is the official one from the NOAA.

Dave

203213W_sm.gif

Something tells me that you're going to have an itinerary change. Right now two of the models shows Cozumel right in it's path.

Read on Fox News that Carnival has already diverted one of their ships from Jamaica to Mexico.... said other cruise lines will be doing the same ... didn't mention which Carnival ship it was...

the spaghetti models show 6 out of 7 tracks heading right for Grand Cayman ..... get out the shutters!!

We leave out of Port Canaveral on Sunday for the Eastern ports. I read on Royal Caribbean's website that the Mariner is going to St. Thomas & St. Martin instead of the western ports this week. I bet there are a lot of unhappy cruisers. I also don't care where we sail to as long as we sail! May be an interesting week or two for cruisers!

Read on Fox News that Carnival has already diverted one of their ships from Jamaica to Mexico.... said other cruise lines will be doing the same ... didn't mention which Carnival ship it was...

the spaghetti models show 6 out of 7 tracks heading right for Grand Cayman ..... get out the shutters!!

Captain Jack, where are you seeing the spaghetti models that you see 6 of the 7 showing it hitting Grand Cayman? On here it only shows 1 having it hit Grand Cayman.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807_model.html