Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christinabeena

Gustav

Recommended Posts

Note to self: don't book a cruise the same week as Dave!!!;)

 

May you have a safe cruise with great weather - wherever you sail!

 

You & Dave are making me laugh. This is my second year at getting stressed for the posibility of being re-routed. Looks like Dave is a Pro.

Dave: This must be part of your cruising excitement!!!!!!

 

We sail Sunday on The Valor. looks like all will be well with the home port. I got re-routed last year on The Legend When Hurricane David (not Dave) went to The Western Caribbean. It worked out great & loved the ports. I have an 8 year old son who is excited for the second year about ziplinging & I hate that he will be disappointed again if we don't go to Belize or Roatan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave....I'm never going to sail with you! Nothing personal though! :DLOL

 

Curious....where does Carnival post its updates when they do issue them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree. We're on the Fantasy 9/1. We are driving to Mobile (originally N.O.) from Shreveport. We usually leave home very early on cruise day, drive 5 or 6 hours, board the ship by noon, eat a burger, get a drink, and start having fun!

 

If Gustave comes toward Mobile, where would we sail from? Too much further East would mean an extra day of travel. Would we sail at all? I don't care where we go (we could have five sea days and we'd be happy) we just want to be on the ship!

 

I know it must seem like we all forget about those residing in the path of a storm and are more concerned about our vacation plans but would happen if Gustave hit near Mobile Monday?

 

I felt the same way when I sailed on the Holiday 5 days after Katrina. Glad to be away from the damage but also realizing all the suffering going on.

 

It is still too early to tell. Yours is a harder one to predict at the moment.

 

Reminds me of when the Sun was moved from New Orleans to Houston because of Katrina. We were to sail on her Jan 2006. The day we were to sail they were moving the ship again to Miami. I told my wife I was cancelling before we have to go to New York to get on the dang ship. I ended up getting a nice offer to sail on Oct 2005 on her at half the price.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like maybe some other people have my lousy luck! Dave comes to mind. We are leaving on the Liberty too on Sat. From reading other posts it sounds like there are quite a few buckeyes going. Not so good being Im from Michigan! Anyway last year we of course went during the only bad hurricane of the summer and we were diverted to the Bahamas for 2 days on the Inspiration. Wouldnt have been so bad except we went to the exact same ports as the year before that. Sooo, whereever we get diverted to, please anywhere besides the Bahamas. And I was sooooo looking forward to spending the day at Nachi Cocom. Has anybody ever heard of Carnival giving out anything like drink coupons or anything when this happens? Good luck everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I see a possible port change to Key West for us on that track. But another day or two of tracking and we should know for sure.

Dave

 

Dave, What is your "guess" for how they might handle the Ecstasy 4 & 5 day, leaving this Thursday and next Monday?

We leave Thursday on the 4 day, of which I have already come to the realization that we won't see Cozumel or Progreso.

Do you think Key West is an option?

Then you have to consider the 5 day leaving on Monday?

 

Do you think they would shorten one or both of these cruises so as to not have the ship in the Port Of Galveston on Sunday/Monday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave, What is your "guess" for how they might handle the Ecstasy 4 & 5 day, leaving this Thursday and next Monday?

We leave Thursday on the 4 day, of which I have already come to the realization that we won't see Cozumel or Progreso.

Do you think Key West is an option?

Then you have to consider the 5 day leaving on Monday?

 

Do you think they would shorten one or both of these cruises so as to not have the ship in the Port Of Galveston on Sunday/Monday?

 

Key West would only be an option if they could get you to another foreign port as well. Unfortunately they can't do a cruise that just stops in Key West due to the PVSA. Depending on the track, you could end up at Veracruz, Mexico, you could end up going to your original ports, you could end up doing a cruise to nowhere, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Key West would only be an option if they could get you to another foreign port as well. Unfortunately they can't do a cruise that just stops in Key West due to the PVSA. Depending on the track, you could end up at Veracruz, Mexico, you could end up going to your original ports, you could end up doing a cruise to nowhere, etc

 

Thanks wrp96, I never would have considered Veracruz, Mexico.

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks wrp96, I never would have considered Veracruz, Mexico.

 

Cheers!

 

It's not a regular stop on cruise ship itineraries so most people don't think of it, but at least a few ships have diverted there in the last few years. Of course everything depends on where Gus wants to go and when he decides to visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't care where I diverted as long as I get some decent weather, unlike my last trip to the Bahamas :(

 

You should be getting some pretty good weather. You are heading to the Bahamas, nothing to worry about. By the way, Miami is out of the cone and I believe you are flying into MIA if I am not mistaken, so everything should be just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think our chances are for leaving Tampa on Sunday?

 

I am not to concerned about port changes, where ever they send us we will make the best of it.

 

I just hope we make it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We too are leaving out of Miami this Saturday on the Liberty and have been watching this all unfold.

 

I am getting a little nervous. With the path projected, I don't see how we will be able to sail Western Caribbean. Anyone else sailing on Liberty getting nervous? This will be first cruise for my DH, DB and SIL and it looks like it will be quite an adventure!

 

 

a bit worried. Its my first cruise in 15 years and my SO's first cruise ever. She has never been south of Virginia. I really want her to have an awesome cruise.

 

However if we end up in the eastern Caribbean I will still be happy, good thing I didn't book those excursion's yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so we are sailing on 9/4 out of Mobile. It is looking better for us (I think) as I think Gustav might be over by then. Let's hope. Best of luck to you all and safe and happy travels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm supposed to leave Thursday afternoon from Ft.Lauderdale aboard Enchantment of the Seas. Hopefully everything will go well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What do you think our chances are for leaving Tampa on Sunday?

 

I am not to concerned about port changes, where ever they send us we will make the best of it.

 

I just hope we make it out.

 

 

If the current forecast stays true I think you should be on schedule.....Gus should be mid-gulf by 4:00 PM Sunday..... Tampa is now out of the "cone of death" so if your ship, Inspiration or Legend, skirts the edge of the stormand stays closer to the coast you should be fine.... take the dramamine....... it may be a rough ride!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are scheduled to leave Tampa on Saturday headed for Grand Cayman and Cozumel. What are the chances that our ports-of-call will be changed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave, What is your "guess" for how they might handle the Ecstasy 4 & 5 day, leaving this Thursday and next Monday?

We leave Thursday on the 4 day, of which I have already come to the realization that we won't see Cozumel or Progreso.

Do you think Key West is an option?

Then you have to consider the 5 day leaving on Monday?

 

Do you think they would shorten one or both of these cruises so as to not have the ship in the Port Of Galveston on Sunday/Monday?

 

Thursday wont be a problem on leaving. You should not have any problems getting to Cozumel unless it takes a more westerly path. If it is too iffy, then they will go to Vera Cruz or Progreso. Getting back into port on Monday could be a problem. Worst case would be an extra day or two at sea. The 5-day leaving Monday could become a 3 day cruise to nowhere or a 4 day to Cozumel and back.

 

Of course I am using the SWAG methodology.

 

S-Scientific

W-Wild

A- @##

G- Guess

 

The engineers at the nuclear plant I used to work at taught it to me.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We are scheduled to leave Tampa on Saturday headed for Grand Cayman and Cozumel. What are the chances that our ports-of-call will be changed?

 

You should be able to get out okay at the current track. Coming around the backside could be a bit rough. We had 15 footers when we came in behind Wilma. Because the storm is staying tight, the wave height should stay on the low side. It is the storms that cover a large area that causes a higher wave height.

 

We sometimes forget about the port of calls when they are hit by the storm. We expect them to be up and running at our beck and call. Hopefully Grand Cayman wont have much of a cleanup. Also keep in mind that water clarity takes a bit hit when there is a storm. So while we can make it to the port, the port might not be ready to accept the ship.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thursday wont be a problem on leaving. You should not have any problems getting to Cozumel unless it takes a more westerly path. If it is too iffy, then they will go to Vera Cruz or Progreso. Getting back into port on Monday could be a problem. Worst case would be an extra day or two at sea. The 5-day leaving Monday could become a 3 day cruise to nowhere or a 4 day to Cozumel and back.

 

Of course I am using the SWAG methodology.

 

S-Scientific

W-Wild

A- @##

G- Guess

 

The engineers at the nuclear plant I used to work at taught it to me.

Dave

 

we are on the Ecstasy scheduled to leave on 9/1. I hope your worst case doesn't happen as I would hate to give up a day or two of our cruise. of course, we wouldn't mind staying out an extra day or two :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course I am using the SWAG methodology.

 

S-Scientific

W-Wild

A- @##

G- Guess

 

The engineers at the nuclear plant I used to work at taught it to me.

Dave

 

:p :p :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are looking better for departures on Saturday. It looks like the only impact would be the Monday sailing of the Fantasy out of Mobile and possibly the Ecstasy. There might be some port of call changes for Saturday for Grand Cayman.

Dave

 

at200807_5day.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm supposed to leave Thursday afternoon from Ft.Lauderdale aboard Enchantment of the Seas. Hopefully everything will go well.

 

Beautiful weather in the Miami/Ft lauderdale area for tomorrow. Sunny, in the 90's for day time. (Very humid). Have a wonderful time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We are scheduled to leave Tampa on Saturday headed for Grand Cayman and Cozumel. What are the chances that our ports-of-call will be changed?

 

Tampa is out of the cone, however there might be some changes made to the itinerary as the storm is scheduled to pass close to Grand Cayman and then head into Cozumel's general direction this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...