Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

They are expecting it to intensify overnight and into tomorrow back to hurricane strength. It has the potential to be very ugly.

I have to evacuate my dad on Friday: he's having chemo right now.

How ugly is this?

:( UGLY! We're watching it very closely here on the MS Gulf Coast. We just got our two new bay bridges up and going, after three years. Everyone I know is getting their generators out, stocking non-perishable foods, water, etc. The price we pay for living here. Already, every single hotel room in Jackson is booked solid.

I'll let you know when we get back from the Legend.:eek: :(

It'll probably be rough, especially with two more coming down the pike right behind him.

:( UGLY! We're watching it very closely here on the MS Gulf Coast. We just got our two new bay bridges up and going, after three years. Everyone I know is getting their generators out, stocking non-perishable foods, water, etc. The price we pay for living here. Already, every single hotel room in Jackson is booked solid.

We just got off of the phone with our friends in Biloxi. They are coming in to join us on the Legend this weekend.:cool:

Our local Tampa Bay area weather guy Denis Philips says the spaghetti plots have it pegged to strike Biloxi. Get ready NOW!:eek:

The one behind it will be Hanna (named tonight or tomorrow) and the one behind that will be Ike.

What one? Where did you see this news? :( I feel so sorry for those on the Gulf Coast.

Thanks for the info on the next two being named... We are driving down to Mobile on the 12th to leave on the Holiday. LOL i am starting to think if we can even get there.... But hey it is sill 16 days away.. alot can happen in that time. :)

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

95L will be Hannah. I read the comments at the bottom of the blog... plenty of students and retired hurricane hunters and all around storm junkies.

95L is really too far out to predict at this point. Models earlier have it going up the East coast, but lately the models seem to move it more toward Florida... and now it says East coast again. Who knows....

The tropical wave off Cape Verde isn't an area of interest yet...

Well, just say a prayer for us, please...everyone. Gustav can't do anything worse to me than Katrina did. If you don't know, Katrina leveled my 160 year old beachfront home in Gulfport. I now live on Back Bay Biloxi. Oh, Lordy, we can't take much more....and now three in the wake?:(

Cotton, my aunt was throwing up this morning at the thought of having to go through this again; my mother is completely out of it and everyone keeps saying they can't go through this again because they don't have the strength. I feel you.....

Well, just say a prayer for us, please...everyone. Gustav can't do anything worse to me than Katrina did. If you don't know, Katrina leveled my 160 year old beachfront home in Gulfport. I now live on Back Bay Biloxi. Oh, Lordy, we can't take much more....and now three in the wake?:(

We're praying for you all... my husband goes down there 1-2 times a year to help with rebuilding. He has such a heart for coastal Mississippi... We hope you all stay SAFE.

Cotton - I just want to wish you well. I know the coast can't take any more right now and the forecast is so bleak. I've been in tears all afternoon because we're scheduled to fly to Miami (from Gpt.) on Saturday a.m. and catch the Triumph and I don't know what to do. My family in Gulfport will evacuate to my house and I hate the thought of leaving home at a time like this. I'm not afraid of being on a ship next week but feel like I'm deserting family and home. We may have to just cancel and forfeit the money. All eyes will be on the forecasts for the next 48 hours. Jim Cantore checked into the Imperial Palace this afternoon - that's just never a good sign. :(

Will be praying for all of you. Went through a hit with Wilma a few years ago, and while it was terrible, it wasn't Katrina. God keep you all safe.

That's a rumor about Cantore. He's also been spotted checking in a hotel in Mobile and TWC says he's in Atlanta. Just wanted to let you know...

They are expecting it to intensify overnight and into tomorrow back to hurricane strength. It has the potential to be very ugly.

I have to evacuate my dad on Friday: he's having chemo right now.

Prayers for you and your dad........

Gosh y'all...I just feel so bad for you. :( My SS class is scheduled to come down and help rebuild a church next month.

LRene - Don't you have insurance? :confused:

spleenstomper - Thanks for the information. Leaving Saturday out of FLL.

Gosh y'all...I just feel so bad for you. :( My SS class is scheduled to come down and help rebuild a church next month.

LRene - Don't you have insurance? :confused:

spleenstomper - Thanks for the information. Leaving Saturday out of FLL.

Most of us who live on the Gulf Coast can no longer purchase insurance that covers wind damage except through the Insurance Underwriters Windpool, which is extremely expensive. Even this coverage (if you can afford it) has a 5% across the board deductable.

Already praying for y'all Cotton. I am so sorry about your home, I am sure it was beautiful and I am sure it was one of the homes I admired on our many stops in Gulfport. I haven't had the heart to make it back yet, just don't think I could swallow what it looks like now. In my opinion, that drive was one of the most beautiful drives in the USA. We used to stay a night at the Biloxi Beach Resort with our dds on our way through to Pensacola for many summers.

Let's pray that it does not strengthen and hit anywhere along our Gulf Coast as a hurricane. I am in no mood to go through the whole evacuation routine again..... Houston:eek: