Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

hoping the best for all of you in the gulf area. my son is in Hattiesburg but works Ft Walton Beach to New Orleans, looks like he will be busy wherever it hits!

we have reservations in Biloxi on the 19th, 20th...so, here is hoping for the best!

Beverly

China used some "iso" thingys to stop it from raining on their Olympic celebration....can't we just order a whole bunch of that!! :confused:

Hopefully it will stay small and run up through the least populated areas between Ocean Springs and Mobile or between Mobile and Pensacola.

We are headed to Galveston to cruise with Gustav (Goose) on the Ecstasy on Monday. We will be giving him a hard time all week!!

Gustav is weakening right now: pressure is up and winds are down (35-45). This is from a little wind shear and interaction with land. We'll have to see how it develops overnight.... the warm water can help it intensify as it leaves land and the wind shear dies down. It doesn't look like a whole lot right now, but that means nothing really.....

That's a rumor about Cantore. He's also been spotted checking in a hotel in Mobile and TWC says he's in Atlanta. Just wanted to let you know...

Well since he was just on TV in the studio...

Cotton - I just want to wish you well. I know the coast can't take any more right now and the forecast is so bleak. I've been in tears all afternoon because we're scheduled to fly to Miami (from Gpt.) on Saturday a.m. and catch the Triumph and I don't know what to do. My family in Gulfport will evacuate to my house and I hate the thought of leaving home at a time like this. I'm not afraid of being on a ship next week but feel like I'm deserting family and home. We may have to just cancel and forfeit the money. All eyes will be on the forecasts for the next 48 hours. Jim Cantore checked into the Imperial Palace this afternoon - that's just never a good sign. :(

We were just talking about him; my husband and I believe that wherever he is for a hurricane, you know it is the wrong place to be.

I wish everyone luck on the gulfcoast; I live right between the area of serius destruction for hurricanes Katrina and rita, in Lafayette La. This morning and last night it looked like it was coming straight for us / and where my DH works in Morgan City. Tonight, it looks better for us, but worse for NO and Miss. We went to the store today and got batteries; actually bought 8 but wanted 10, but no more bat's. No more water at one store, had to go to another. Tomorrow, getting out the generator and running it jsut in case. Also have a motor home that was getting a ladder changed and went get that just in case we lose electricty. For Hurricane Andrew many years ago, I was about 7 months pregnant and had no electircity for 5 days. I would go outside during the day and sit on a chair in the shade because that was more comfortable than being inside.

Anyway, wherever this lands, I pray everyone is ok.

Good luck to all

Cotton,

We will be praying for you. We are located just to the north of you.

Lezlee,

I am going through the same torn emotions as you. We are leaving Sat on the Holiday. You feel bad about leaving but then if you stay having to endure the storm and the heartbreak all over again.

Sea Island Lady,

Even if she had trip insurance a cancellation probably would not be covered as Lezlee would be able to make it to the ship. I ran into something similar when my Mom got sick last year. Had I cancelled, my portion of the fare would not be covered as I could have made it to the ship.

Dave

:( UGLY! We're watching it very closely here on the MS Gulf Coast. We just got our two new bay bridges up and going, after three years. Everyone I know is getting their generators out, stocking non-perishable foods, water, etc. The price we pay for living here. Already, every single hotel room in Jackson is booked solid.

Cotton, I live just outside Jackson in Pearl if you need a place to escape to. I remember reading your post leading up to Katrina.

Lets hope it just fizzles out.

Most of us who live on the Gulf Coast can no longer purchase insurance that covers wind damage except through the Insurance Underwriters Windpool, which is extremely expensive. Even this coverage (if you can afford it) has a 5% across the board deductable.

Cruzman...I was speaking of cruise insurance. ;)

jetskier - You have been purchasing the wrong insurance. With CSA you can cancel for many reasons and one is if a family member becomes ill and you need to cancel.

What is CSA insurance? I have ins. through Carnival and my dad is sick.... so just wondering what kind I have? Though if anything happened, I'd be totally willing to take a Carnival credit.

I wish everyone luck on the gulfcoast; I live right between the area of serius destruction for hurricanes Katrina and rita, in Lafayette La. This morning and last night it looked like it was coming straight for us / and where my DH works in Morgan City. Tonight, it looks better for us, but worse for NO and Miss. We went to the store today and got batteries; actually bought 8 but wanted 10, but no more bat's. No more water at one store, had to go to another. Tomorrow, getting out the generator and running it jsut in case. Also have a motor home that was getting a ladder changed and went get that just in case we lose electricty. For Hurricane Andrew many years ago, I was about 7 months pregnant and had no electircity for 5 days. I would go outside during the day and sit on a chair in the shade because that was more comfortable than being inside.

Anyway, wherever this lands, I pray everyone is ok.

Good luck to all

Well, it doesnt look so hot for us now, i am in iota. Jennings and Eunice for sure are already out of water and batteries since early yesterday. good luck over to where ever this thing hits.

What is CSA insurance? I have ins. through Carnival and my dad is sick.... so just wondering what kind I have? Though if anything happened, I'd be totally willing to take a Carnival credit.

Go to insuremytrip.com and look at the CSA Luxe policy. It is one that you can buy within 24 hours of your final payment (not first deposit like so many others) and the Luxe version covers pre-existing conditions for yourself and family members. Plus, there is the usual coverage, include emergency evacuation by helicopter should you become ill on the ship.

I am still having trouble reading the storm maps. Could someone please tell me when the next storm (Hannah) is due to hit the Caribbean islands? I leave Saturday for the eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Maarten and Haiti).

Go to insuremytrip.com and look at the CSA Luxe policy. It is one that you can buy within 24 hours of your final payment (not first deposit like so many others) and the Luxe version covers pre-existing conditions for yourself and family members. Plus, there is the usual coverage, include emergency evacuation by helicopter should you become ill on the ship.

I am still having trouble reading the storm maps. Could someone please tell me when the next storm (Hannah) is due to hit the Caribbean islands? I leave Saturday for the eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Maarten and Haiti).

It is only moving 5mph right now. of what i see it looks like it will still be int he Atlantic on Tuesday

[/url]084713W_sm.gif

LRene - Don't you have insurance? :confused:

I assume you mean travel insurance and not homeowners insurance but the answer is YES, I have both.

The problem with travel insurance and a hurricane is that it will only pay if the cruise/flight etc. is cancelled or impaired for 24 hours or more OR if your home is made uninhabitable because of the storm.

Our cruise will probably go off without a hitch. Our home probably won't become uninhabitable. It doesn't pay for you to stay home and protect your property. I already knew that and it's a gamble we took. I buy the insurance more for the med evac and accident coverage anyway.

Dave - hope your Holiday cruise isn't affected. You're right...there's one side of me NOT wanting to be here and there's the other that wants to be here. This morning's forecast was a little better for us - not so good for the LA folks. We'll wait until tomorrow evening to decide for certain. Nothing like more last-minute stress. :rolleyes:

I know I sound like a doomsayer, but as many of us know, you don't take these storms liightly. If they tell you to evacuate, get out! I once saw a tourist all excited when talking about staying for an upcoming hurricane. He was staying in a hotel on the beach. He and his family thought it would be "fun". The windows of the hotel blew out and the people had to be rescued, which endangered the lives of those who had to rescue them. Remember this..when you have a big storm coming, you never know if the place you take refuge will withstand the storm. My thoughts are with everyone on the gulf coast.

I assume you mean travel insurance and not homeowners insurance but the answer is YES, I have both.

The problem with travel insurance and a hurricane is that it will only pay if the cruise/flight etc. is cancelled or impaired for 24 hours or more OR if your home is made uninhabitable because of the storm.

Our cruise will probably go off without a hitch. Our home probably won't become uninhabitable. It doesn't pay for you to stay home and protect your property. I already knew that and it's a gamble we took. I buy the insurance more for the med evac and accident coverage anyway.

Dave - hope your Holiday cruise isn't affected. You're right...there's one side of me NOT wanting to be here and there's the other that wants to be here. This morning's forecast was a little better for us - not so good for the LA folks. We'll wait until tomorrow evening to decide for certain. Nothing like more last-minute stress. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is what I meant. Seems that there would be something in the policy that would protect you if your home was directly in the path of a hurricane. Glad things are looking up for you now. :)

Mommy2landonmason - Thank you so much for the posting. If that storm continues on it's path, and becomes a hurricane, it looks like we may have trouble getting back to port (like we did during hurricane Wilma), otherwise, our travel looks good to the Caribbean.

BTW - I hope I don't sound like I am being selfish about my own vacation being ruined. We've been to all the islands we are suppose to visit, so I don't care if we are re-directed. I have a pit in my stomach about the Gulf coast situation and will be praying that a Katrina repeat will not happen. I spent my birthday in 2005 (the 29th), watching the T.V. in horror at the storm devastation.:( I will have a hard time keeping away from the T.V. while on my upcoming cruise .

yeah, it doesnt look to good for us right now, but who knows what it will do. but i am supposed to be visiting jamaica and grand cayman at the end of Sept. but they are on the wrong side of this hurricane. so hopefully the islands will survive, guess time will tell. plans are already into action of anchor down things in the area over here. things are already getting crazy

.... If they tell you to evacuate, get out! I once saw a tourist all excited when talking about staying for an upcoming hurricane. He was staying in a hotel on the beach. He and his family thought it would be "fun". .

It's not only tourists who can be foolish. I remember during Camille in '69, some residents of a Pass Christian beachfront apartment complex decided to ride her out by having a hurricane party.

All 39 perished.

No one has forgotten the Richileu Apt. Party. Folks on the coast aren't that stooopid anymore. I THANK you and all for your concern.

The forecast was a bit better for us, BUT can still change. It is the not knowing part that gets you. Once I get onboard and get that first DOD, then I can unwind a little bit. My two daughters are hoping that Gustav will get delayed another day or two so they can get an extra seaday. (gee I wonder where they learned that from :))

Dave

Well, just say a prayer for us, please...everyone. Gustav can't do anything worse to me than Katrina did. If you don't know, Katrina leveled my 160 year old beachfront home in Gulfport. I now live on Back Bay Biloxi. Oh, Lordy, we can't take much more....and now three in the wake?:(

Hi, I'll probably get flamed for this but I REALLY am not trying to be insulting or ugly...I hope none of you have any problems whatsoever with this storm.

That being said, I have always wondered why people continue to do the same things over and over and expect to get a different result. (Like building in a hurricane zone)

Hope all goes well for you.

It's not only tourists who can be foolish. I remember during Camille in '69, some residents of a Pass Christian beachfront apartment complex decided to ride her out by having a hurricane party.

All 39 perished.

No one has forgotten the Richileu Apt. Party. Folks on the coast aren't that stooopid anymore. I THANK you and all for your concern.

We can only hope people are not that foolish. I've seen some crazy things with storms coming my way. (I'm also in hurricane alley) We almost lost our home in 2004 from a cat. 4.

Well, just say a prayer for us, please...everyone. Gustav can't do anything worse to me than Katrina did. If you don't know, Katrina leveled my 160 year old beachfront home in Gulfport. I now live on Back Bay Biloxi. Oh, Lordy, we can't take much more....and now three in the wake?:(

My prayers are with you. We went through Andrew, down here in Miami, back in 1992 and I can only say, please get yourself and your family out of the storm's way. We were also affected by Katrina, not the way you were, however we had no electricity for 9 whole days our roof (3 years old) suffered major damage, and our wooden fence flew away with the storm. Right after Katrina, Wilma also hit our area, no electricity for another week. I guess this is the price we have to pay for living in Paradise!

Best of luck, our prayers are with you and with everyone on the storm's path.

"Originally Posted by Cotton

All 39 perished.

No one has forgotten the Richileu Apt. Party. Folks on the coast aren't that stooopid anymore. I THANK you and all for your concern"

Same reason so many deaths in New Orleans area from Katrina, many decided to ride it out. Sure kept officials busy during and after it passed. We live right north of I-10 so we are out of the zone, but it sure gets scary. Rita really freaked us out. But we stayed. But then, when we went to bed that night it was still supposed to be around Galveston Houston, not as close as it ended up being. That is what is really scary, they are soooo unpredictable!