Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

Most of us who live on the Gulf Coast can no longer purchase insurance that covers wind damage except through the Insurance Underwriters Windpool, which is extremely expensive. Even this coverage (if you can afford it) has a 5% across the board deductable.

Florida has the same situation. Most new insurance policies are written through the state's insurance pool as the large insurance companies do not want to write new policies.

Hi, I'll probably get flamed for this but I REALLY am not trying to be insulting or ugly...I hope none of you have any problems whatsoever with this storm.

That being said, I have always wondered why people continue to do the same things over and over and expect to get a different result. (Like building in a hurricane zone)

Hope all goes well for you.

I understand your thinking. However, I have no problem with people living where ever they want to live ... as long as they don't expect the government to rescue or bail them out financially.

Just about every area of our country has some natural disaster lurking from wild fires, to tornados, to hurricanes to flooding. That is what insurance is for.

If they are willing to pay the premiums and companies are will to insure them...then they can live there!!

I'm not sure if this is mincing words but...I watched on TV as Katrina hit New Orleans and the wind damage was not that horrible. It was the breaking of the bad levees that ruined the place and took so many lives. Had the levee held Katrina would be all but forgotten. I'm still so angry with the local government as well as the feds for allowing the city to stay wrecked the way it is. It happened here, not in the third world, put the money in the USA when needed.

I'm not sure if this is mincing words but...I watched on TV as Katrina hit New Orleans and the wind damage was not that horrible. It was the breaking of the bad levees that ruined the place and took so many lives. Had the levee held Katrina would be all but forgotten. I'm still so angry with the local government as well as the feds for allowing the city to stay wrecked the way it is. It happened here, not in the third world, put the money in the USA when needed.

Yeah, you are right. it was not the katrina that killed, it was the levee break, . I am with you on the way it looks. It is unreal that it still looks like it does. We are the USA, it should not be like that! But even after Rita, you wouldnt believe the amount of people still living in campers or fema trailers down along the coast. things are cleaned up and looking better, but still not back to where it should be.

Why doesn't Carnival have any info about Gustav on their website? If they do, I can't find it.

Remember, a five-day hurricane forecast is woefully inaccurate. There are too many dynamic variables invloved.

Katraina 5 day forecast had it hitting Apalachicola Florida which is east of Panama City Fl.

I understand your thinking. However, I have no problem with people living where ever they want to live ... as long as they don't expect the government to rescue or bail them out financially.

Just about every area of our country has some natural disaster lurking from wild fires, to tornados, to hurricanes to flooding. That is what insurance is for.

If they are willing to pay the premiums and companies are will to insure them...then they can live there!!

Oh, I have no problem with folks living where they choose to either. Just so long as "the government" (translate to read: MY money) doesn't keep bailing them out. What gets me usually are the ones who seem surprised that a hurricane might actually wipe out their home on the coast. It's like standing in the middle of the interstate and then being startled that an 80,000 pound truck is headed straight for them. IMO that's insanity.

That is a funny statement to anyone who knows Louisiana in general and New Orleans specifically and their political systems.

The Federal Government did not "allow" that city to be wrecked. 60 million dollars of Federal Government money was "suppose" to be in those levees and the "powers that be" in New Orleans and Louisiana redirected it "elsewhere"...usually in the pockets of dirty local politicians.

It is a history of crooked officials that Louisiana and New Orleans is known for and generally "proud of". Just a way of life down there.

This time the corruption bit them in the fanny!!

.......Had the levee held Katrina would be all but forgotten..

Well...maybe in N.O., but certainly not on the MS Gulf Coast.

The world heard much more about N.O. because it's more recognizable. N.O. is my hometown, and I love it, but there's so much corruption in LA, and they want the attention; the more they complain, the angrier I get. Poor us; give us more...ad nauseum.

MS folks pretty much take care of their own, although of course some gov't funds were used here as well....we just didn't whine and carry like those in our neighboring state. AND we are quietly rebuilding brick by brick, not still wallowing in self pity.:rolleyes:

The one behind it will be Hanna (named tonight or tomorrow) and the one behind that will be Ike.

Hanna will be staying in the atlantic, which should make for an interesting eastern caribbean cruise when I leave on the Glory out of Pt. Canaveral on Saturday.........:(

I think they are talking about carnvial cruise site. Not Cruise critic... As for the other site i have seen nothing about it..

I know what they are talking about....that's why I posted the link so they could get some info........just because it's not from Carnival doesn't mean it isn't correct. :rolleyes:

Look at this way, Good Ol Mother Nature wanted everyone who is sailing in the eastern and western crib to have a peice of the Action. :D :D :D

I think i can even hear her singing "DON'T ROCK THE BOAT BABY"

Sorry but i am only trying to put some smiles on those people who have the blues do to the hurrcaine and Ts out there.

I not trying to be smart here either.. cause I am sailing on the 13th..:)

I am preying everyone is safe during this time.

I know what they are talking about....that's why I posted the link so they could get some info........just because it's not from Carnival doesn't mean it isn't correct. :rolleyes:

I know that but i did comment about the other site does not have the info Cruise critic has.. :) :) :)

That is a funny statement to anyone who knows Louisiana in general and New Orleans specifically and their political systems.

The Federal Government did not "allow" that city to be wrecked. 60 million dollars of Federal Government money was "suppose" to be in those levees and the "powers that be" in New Orleans and Louisiana redirected it "elsewhere"...usually in the pockets of dirty local politicians.

It is a history of crooked officials that Louisiana and New Orleans is known for and generally "proud of". Just a way of life down there.

This time the corruption bit them in the fanny!!

And to think they Re-elected the same mayor!!??:eek:

As far as Gustav....I hope it doesn't come into Galveston mainly because I dont think anyone will leave this time after the craziness that occured when everyone left for Rita. Everyone I talk to says they will never leave for a hurricane again. That could spell disaster!

...I hope none of you have any problems whatsoever with this storm.

That being said, I have always wondered why people continue to do the same things over and over and expect to get a different result. (Like building in a hurricane zone)

Hope all goes well for you.

Thx. I'll see if I can explain... The thing about living on the coast is that it's such a beautiful area, and has so much to offer. Just like living wherever else in the states, I guess, that one prefers.

I was living beachfront in Gulfport and loving it for almost 40 years. There's something very special about getting up every day, taking coffee to the front porch and being continually amazed by the wonder of the Gulf in front of me.

Sure, we've gone through many, many hurricanes here, and we always have lots of cleanup; we lose trees, and maybe roofs. BUT, we haven't had a storm of the magnitude of Katrina since Camille in 1969. That's a lotta years of fairly decent weather...37 to be exact! I've had to evacuate only twice since living on the coast.

Folks choose a place to spend their years, and we all accept what might be. To paraphrase someone above, it's the price we pay to live in what we consider to be our paradise.

Living on the back bay of Biloxi now, I still have water to look at from my back porch, and I'll still probably get some damage from each hurricane future hurricane, but....I'd rather take my chances here than in some desolate area with no water surrounding me.:)

And to think they Re-elected the same mayor!!??:eek:

As far as Gustav....I hope it doesn't come into Galveston mainly because I dont think anyone will leave this time after the craziness that occured when everyone left for Rita. Everyone I talk to says they will never leave for a hurricane again. That could spell disaster!

Yeah, go figure. And now he is all over the tv stating how we are prepared and his evacuation plans have been practiced and he is ready to put them into action. and on and on. i try to leave the room or change the channel. LOL

Yeah, go figure. And now he is all over the tv stating how we are prepared and his evacuation plans have been practiced and he is ready to put them into action. and on and on. i try to leave the room or change the channel. LOL

Nagin is such a jerk.:(

I live in Crowley, La which is about 2 hrs west of NOrleans. All eyes are on Gustav also---too early to predict.

Being hit with Rita makes you watch all storms, especially when it was bigger than Katrina & did not receive all the attention that NO rec'd. Our explanation...it was not the storm itself that demolished NO it was the levee system...it was Rita that demolished us.

Yes you are being way to nice with the terminolgy of Naqin....

Wish us well here along the gulf coast.

The People In Biloxi & Gulfport Did Not Wait For The Govt. They Depended On Themselves To Rebuild.

Thoughts and prayers going out to all in the path of Gustav.

Cotton, we are from the North East ( NH) and passed thru Gulfport on

a trip to NO six years ago. You do live in a beautiful area and I totally

understand no one wanting to give up or move from the homes they've

had for years. I followed your posts pre and post Katrina and my

heart goes out to you and everyone who lost lives and homes.

My fingers are crossed that this one is down graded and all will be well.

In any event, all of your stay safe.

Direct from the Carnival website:

TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE

August 28, 2008 - 4:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the progress of Tropical Storm Gustav. All of Carnival's ships will continue to operate at a safe distance from this storm at all times. Our number one priority is the safety of our guests and crew.

We have made some itinerary changes for several departures this week in order to provide our guests with an enjoyable shore experience, while operating the ships in the safest and most comfortable conditions possible. These are listed below:

• Carnival Conquest Sun., 8/24 departure: The ship will visit Grand Cayman (Wed), Cozumel (Thur), Progreso (Fri)
  • Carnival Triumph Sun., 8/24 departure: The ship will visit Cozumel (Tue), Half Moon Cay (Fri), Nassau (Sat)
  • Carnival Ecstasy Thur., 8/28 departure: The ship will visit Veracruz, Mexico

We are looking forward to welcoming our guests aboard all of the Carnival "Fun Ships." The officers, staff and crew on each of our ships are dedicated to delivering a great cruise vacation experience.

The People In Biloxi & Gulfport Did Not Wait For The Govt. They Depended On Themselves To Rebuild.

Absolutly-I praise ya'll for that