Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

To everyone living on the Gulf Coast my thoughts and prayers are with you all. But PLEASE prepare now and be ready to go, have your important papers and Medications in a secure container. Pull out a suitcase and pack a few days clothes for each family member. It's better to have to unpack it if not needed that to be rushing and forget something important. And take your animals with you, call your local vet or animal shelter and ask for a disposable travel cage. (heck go to a local store and ask for a good size box and put holes in it!) Keep an eye on the news and weather and if your local officals say get out than do it! It's always better to be safe and aggravated then waiting to be rescued on your rooftop or even worse dead. And it's not just the Gulf Coast Hanna is due to head towards the East Coast of FL. So folks head inland, head north, be prepared, be ready, but most of all be safe, please and thank you!

I live in Crowley, La which is about 2 hrs west of NOrleans. All eyes are on Gustav also---too early to predict.

Being hit with Rita makes you watch all storms, especially when it was bigger than Katrina & did not receive all the attention that NO rec'd. Our explanation...it was not the storm itself that demolished NO it was the levee system...it was Rita that demolished us.

Yes you are being way to nice with the terminolgy of Naqin....

Wish us well here along the gulf coast.

Hey, I am from Iota, small world huh.:)

I looks like Gustav will impact most western caribbean itineraries and Hanna might impact any Bahama cruises. and who knows where Ike will head towards.

BTW, where exactly is Veracruz located that the Ecstasy can't go to Progreso instead?? has Carnival gone there before??

Getting back to the accuracy of the 5 day track. I thought this was a very interesting discussion taking from the latest 5pm discussion of the National Hurricane Center site

NEW OFFICIAL TRACK FORECAST IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS ONE. SINCE TRACK FORECASTS ARE ALWAYS SUBJECT TO LARGE ERRORS AT 3-5 DAYS...AND ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE NOTABLE MODEL SPREAD OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO...IT IS SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE AND WHEN GUSTAV WILL MAKE FINAL LANDFALL. IN FACT...TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE UNCERTAINTIES IN TRACK...INTENSITY...AND SIZE FORECASTS...THE CHANCES OF HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS WITHIN THE NEXT FIVE DAYS ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME AT EACH INDIVIDUAL LOCATION FROM THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE COAST WESTWARD THROUGH THE ENTIRE COASTLINE OF LOUISIANA.

I looks like Gustav will impact most western caribbean itineraries and Hanna might impact any Bahama cruises. and who knows where Ike will head towards.

BTW, where exactly is Veracruz located that the Ecstasy can't go to Progreso instead?? has Carnival gone there before??

It is not often they go there but it is capable of handling a cruise ship.

veracruz.gif

Hello all, new to posting here so bare with me and hope this works. I frequent another website where mets. and the casual weather enthusiast usually go and discuss storms in more detail. Thought I would share this with everybody.

Gustaf tracking information...

AL072008lts.gif?882582330

Gustav models...

AL072008mlts.gif?882582330

Hanna tracking information...

AL082008lts.gif?882582330

Models...

AL082008mlts.gif?882582330

Moisture sat image of Gustav...

atl_ir1_loop.gif

Sat image of Gustav...

atl_vis1_loop.gif

Hi, I'll probably get flamed for this but I REALLY am not trying to be insulting or ugly...I hope none of you have any problems whatsoever with this storm.

That being said, I have always wondered why people continue to do the same things over and over and expect to get a different result. (Like building in a hurricane zone)

Hope all goes well for you.

You do realize that besides the Gulf coast,the entire Eastern and most of the Western seaboards are in "Hurricane" zones. They call them Typhoons in the Pacific though. The Carolinas and maybe even New Jersey get as many as we do down here on The Gulf coast. If I had to choose, I would prefer a Hurricane over living in a so-called tornado alley where there is very little,if any, warning.

the only time we go that far north is to go camping, other than that i usually dont do much further than eunice. LOL, with the kids i dont go to far away from home a lot.

You do realize that besides the Gulf coast,the entire Eastern and most of the Western seaboards are in "Hurricane" zones. They call them Typhoons in the Pacific though. The Carolinas and maybe even New Jersey get as many as we do down here on The Gulf coast. If I had to choose, I would prefer a Hurricane over living in a so-called tornado alley where there is very little,if any, warning.

I didn't single out the "Gulf Coast". My point was that I fail to understand....no wait, I DO understand....I just don't UNDERSTAND why people continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

If you're allergic to fire ants wouldn't it seem crazy to continually go stepping barefoot through ant hills?

I have a friend that has been to Africa several times. Twice to Ghana. Both times while in Ghana doing volunteer work, he contracted malaria. Whether from the water or a bug biting me, we will never know. His doctor back here in the U.S. told him that he could never go back to an area with a high incidence of malaria. Why? Because it would most likely kill him. He would LOVE to go back. It's the most beautiful place on Earth he says, with the most beautiful, loving people. Think he's going back to Ghana anytime soon? No? You don't think he will? Why not? I'll tell you why. Because THAT would be doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, that's why. And that would be insanity.

Hey, I am from Iota, small world huh.:)

Iota and Crowley, wow! I have a great friend that lives in Iota and about 6 years ago, I did clinicals in Crowley!

And to think they Re-elected the same mayor!!??:eek:

As far as Gustav....I hope it doesn't come into Galveston mainly because I dont think anyone will leave this time after the craziness that occured when everyone left for Rita. Everyone I talk to says they will never leave for a hurricane again. That could spell disaster!

It was insane! We live in League City, about 2 blocks from I-45. We didn't leave for Rita and couldn't have even if we had wanted. The entire freeway was backed all the way up to Galveston. People had their horses, pigs, boats, trailers and you name it loaded up and the traffic wasn't even moving-ALL DAY. Remember we didn't even get a drop of rain from that monster cat 5 that was supposed hit Galveston head on. You're right, everyone here says they will not leave for another one, so I hope we don't get it either.

I didn't single out the "Gulf Coast". My point was that I fail to understand....no wait, I DO understand....I just don't UNDERSTAND why people continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

If you're allergic to fire ants wouldn't it seem crazy to continually go stepping barefoot through ant hills?

I have a friend that has been to Africa several times. Twice to Ghana. Both times while in Ghana doing volunteer work, he contracted malaria. Whether from the water or a bug biting me, we will never know. His doctor back here in the U.S. told him that he could never go back to an area with a high incidence of malaria. Why? Because it would most likely kill him. He would LOVE to go back. It's the most beautiful place on Earth he says, with the most beautiful, loving people. Think he's going back to Ghana anytime soon? No? You don't think he will? Why not? I'll tell you why. Because THAT would be doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, that's why. And that would be insanity.

Your friend can't go back because it might mean his death. Why people continue to return to those places where they have lived all of their lives is a different scenario. Many return because that is the only place they have ever known. My wifes family has lived in this area for close to two hundred years as an example. Some may return because that is where their livelihoods are. Who knows? I think if you presented your question as to why do the same thing again and again and expect a different result to a Cop, you might be enlightened.

Iota and Crowley, wow! I have a great friend that lives in Iota and about 6 years ago, I did clinicals in Crowley!

Well, if they still live in Iota, i am sure i know them. being iota is so huge and all:D . If you blink an eye while passing though, you miss the entire town. LOL Great place to live though, i love it here

Why doesn't Carnival have any info about Gustav on their website? If they do, I can't find it.

There is nothing for them to report. It's WAY too early to know where this hurricane is headed. They won't have anything to say until they KNOW there are going to be changes and until they know the effect Gustav will have on their ships and departures.

Another good place to look is here on CC. Their home page has a section called "Hurricane Zone" where they update info as it comes in.

Oh, I have no problem with folks living where they choose to either. Just so long as "the government" (translate to read: MY money) doesn't keep bailing them out. What gets me usually are the ones who seem surprised that a hurricane might actually wipe out their home on the coast. It's like standing in the middle of the interstate and then being startled that an 80,000 pound truck is headed straight for them. IMO that's insanity.

I agree. To me, the same thing applies to the massive damage done by the wildfires out west - and the earthquakes along the California coastal cities.

If you choose to live in these areas, then YOU be responsible for cleaning up your own property, YOU carry enough insurance to handle the cost.

My tax money should go for rebuilding highways, schools and other public places. restoring utilities - to help provide shelter, food, relocation, emergency attention, transportation, etc. But I don't like it being used as a handout so some klutz can rebuild.....and then STILL not bother to carry insurance.

I agree. To me' date=' the same thing applies to the massive damage done by the wildfires out west - and the earthquakes along the California coastal cities.[/color']

If you choose to live in these areas, then YOU be responsible for cleaning up your own property, YOU carry enough insurance to handle the cost.

My tax money should go for rebuilding highways, schools and other public places. restoring utilities - to help provide shelter, food, relocation, emergency attention, transportation, etc. But I don't like it being used as a handout so some klutz can rebuild.....and then STILL not bother to carry insurance.

Don't forget the massive flooding in places like New Jersey, Tornados in the Mid-West, etc.......;)

The keyword is insured losses. Don't really understand your point. FYI, a very large chunk of the insured losses was to offshore Drilling/Production platforms, refineries, L.O.O.P., infrastructure, etc. For the time being, we need those and there is nothing to do but repair them and keep going back to the same places again and again even though we know what might happen .