Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

Oh, I have no problem with folks living where they choose to either. Just so long as "the government" (translate to read: MY money) doesn't keep bailing them out. What gets me usually are the ones who seem surprised that a hurricane might actually wipe out their home on the coast. It's like standing in the middle of the interstate and then being startled that an 80,000 pound truck is headed straight for them. IMO that's insanity.

I hope Cedar Park does not get any tonadoes or torential flooding from any of these possible storms or hurricanes...:eek: Would you rebuild? in the same town? Is that where your job is? Your friends? Your kid's school? Your life?:confused: We don't expect a different result, we expect to survive and depend on what we thought were decent insurance companies and then rebuild a part of the US that has been damaged.

You do realize that besides the Gulf coast,the entire Eastern and most of the Western seaboards are in "Hurricane" zones. They call them Typhoons in the Pacific though. The Carolinas and maybe even New Jersey get as many as we do down here on The Gulf coast. If I had to choose, I would prefer a Hurricane over living in a so-called tornado alley where there is very little,if any, warning.

Or the those poor people in California that have to deal with wildfires burning their homes and towns. But I guess they should not return to those areas....:rolleyes:

Kingfish-

I only wish that you had to experience a smidgin of what we all had to experience when Rita was supposedly heading straight for the Galveston Bay at a Cat 5 and we were all evacuated. It was right after Katrina hit and we all watched the suffering and destruction from that. It's a horrible feeling driving away from your home, boarded up, past the school where you work and your kids go, through your town and leave it all behind to hope and pray that it will all be there when you get back, that your life will be there when you get back. We choose to live here for the same reason you choose to live where you live. Our jobs and our lives are here and I would do it over and over again, and never be surprised at the results. Thank you.

There is nothing for them to report. It's WAY too early to know where this hurricane is headed. They won't have anything to say until they KNOW there are going to be changes and until they know the effect Gustav will have on their ships and departures.

Another good place to look is here on CC. Their home page has a section called "Hurricane Zone" where they update info as it comes in.

Host Mach has a thread giving port changes.

The keyword is insured losses. Don't really understand your point. FYI, a very large chunk of the insured losses was to offshore Drilling/Production platforms, refineries, L.O.O.P., infrastructure, etc. For the time being, we need those and there is nothing to do but repair them and keep going back to the same places again and again even though we know what might happen .

Very true.

And not to mention the people that DID have insurance but let's see.... the answers they got after waiting and waiting were "sorry, it was wind damage not, flood and you only have flood insurance" or it was "sorry, you have flood damage and you only have windstorm and that doesn't cover flooding." I don't think there were THAT many people living right on the coast and did not carry some type of flood/windstorm insurance. Here where we are, it is required by mortgage companies in certain areas closer to the water. They could not help it if insurance companies wormed their way out of paying.

I hope Cedar Park does not get any tonadoes or torential flooding from any of these possible storms or hurricanes...:eek: Would you rebuild? in the same town? Is that where your job is? Your friends? Your kid's school? Your life?:confused: We don't expect a different result, we expect to survive and depend on what we thought were decent insurance companies and then rebuild a part of the US that has been damaged.

Or the those poor people in California that have to deal with wildfires burning their homes and towns. But I guess they should not return to those areas....:rolleyes:

Kingfish-

I only wish that you had to experience a smidgin of what we all had to experience when Rita was supposedly heading straight for the Galveston Bay at a Cat 5 and we were all evacuated. It was right after Katrina hit and we all watched the suffering and destruction from that. It's a horrible feeling driving away from your home, boarded up, past the school where you work and your kids go, through your town and leave it all behind to hope and pray that it will all be there when you get back, that your life will be there when you get back. We choose to live here for the same reason you choose to live where you live. Our jobs and our lives are here and I would do it over and over again, and never be surprised at the results. Thank you.

thoneycu,

We live in League City and we didn't evacuate (don't know if you saw my previous post on this thread). Actually, I'm glad we didn't even try after hearing the horror stories from people who were in their cars for 30 hours. This time, if we're getting it, we plan to do the same. You're right also, about Rita being right after Katrina-it just really put the fear and panic in people.

Very true.

And not to mention the people that DID have insurance but let's see.... the answers they got after waiting and waiting were "sorry, it was wind damage not, flood and you only have flood insurance" or it was "sorry, you have flood damage and you only have windstorm and that doesn't cover flooding." I don't think there were THAT many people living right on the coast and did not carry some type of flood/windstorm insurance. Here where we are, it is required by mortgage companies in certain areas closer to the water. They could not help it if insurance companies wormed their way out of paying.

LOL! Yeah,the irony of it all. The line heard most was "Yes, you have flood insurance but the damage was caused by wind pushing the water into your home.You aren't covered for wind-driven water".:rolleyes:

Our lives and our livelihood are in New Orleans - leaving the Gulf South is not an option for us. I know some may balk at this, or think I'm exaggerating, but it's the truth. The work my husband does is particular to this area, so we will stay here no matter what. We're looking at having to evacuate this weekend, and that's never fun - but it's part of life. We have homeowners insurance and flood insurance, so we won't be requiring government assistance of any kind - nor did we require assistance after Katrina.

There are natural disasters everywhere - people have to choose what's best for them, but for us to find an area with no natural disasters, where dh could make a comparable living, would be completely impossible.

Whoa whoa whoa.....I've never said that people don't have the "right" to live where they choose or that they "shouldn't" live on the Gulf coast or wherever.

When someone chooses or is "forced" by financial circumstances to live someplace which is LIKELY even INEVITABLE to be struck by a natural disaster (like a hurricane) at some time, then why are some so "poor me" or "Oh My God, a hurricane is coming"?

BTW, I was born in Houma, La. and grew up in Grand Isle until I was 17. In that time my Mom and Stepdad and ME must have evacuated at least 12 times. It sucked (especially when you're a kid and the adults make those decisions for you). But they knew the risks and didn't bitch when it came.

On several occasions we would get back home with the bottom floor washed out, but we would get in the boat and go and search for the deep freezer or some crab traps or whatever. One time (I think after H. Gilbert, not sure) we hauled caskets back that had popped up out of the tombs and washed away.

So please (respectfully) don't preach to me about hurricanes or evacuating. :)

Whoa whoa whoa.....I've never said that people don't have the "right" to live where they choose or that they "shouldn't" live on the Gulf coast or wherever.

When someone chooses or is "forced" by financial circumstances to live someplace which is LIKELY even INEVITABLE to be struck by a natural disaster (like a hurricane) at some time, then why are some so "poor me" or "Oh My God, a hurricane is coming"?

BTW, I was born in Houma, La. and grew up in Grand Isle until I was 17. In that time my Mom and Stepdad and ME must have evacuated at least 12 times. It sucked (especially when you're a kid and the adults make those decisions for you). But they knew the risks and didn't bitch when it came.

On several occasions we would get back home with the bottom floor washed out, but we would get in the boat and go and search for the deep freezer or some crab traps or whatever. One time (I think after H. Gilbert, not sure) we hauled caskets back that had popped up out of the tombs and washed away.

Not much complaining or preaching that I can see here. Everything is more in answer to your question as to why do people do things repeatedly that have a result that is known to be the same time after time. I get the feeling from what you posted above, maybe your parents knew the answer.:)

Do you recognize this? If not, it's from one of your posts.Do you really know where you are from? Again, maybe you can answer your own question.

"I am a native of New Orleans and lived there until 1998. I enjoy living and doing "risky" fun things (skydiving, motocross, etc). You see, I CHOOSE to take those risks."

Our lives and our livelihood are in New Orleans - leaving the Gulf South is not an option for us. I know some may balk at this, or think I'm exaggerating, but it's the truth. The work my husband does is particular to this area, so we will stay here no matter what. We're looking at having to evacuate this weekend, and that's never fun - but it's part of life. We have homeowners insurance and flood insurance, so we won't be requiring government assistance of any kind - nor did we require assistance after Katrina.

There are natural disasters everywhere - people have to choose what's best for them, but for us to find an area with no natural disasters, where dh could make a comparable living, would be completely impossible.

Our livelihood is here in the Galveston Bay Area also. My husband's career is in the industry business and there is no better place to be than the Houston/Gulf Coast area. It has been a wonderful provider for us. Good luck and stay safe and let's pray this thing does not strengthen. :)

No one is "preaching" to you about hurricanes (respectfully). You really should find a nicer tone for your posts. And it is very unkind to mock people on a message board because they are all "discussing" a hurricane with one another and sending prayers and luck. I will not comment on any more of your posts. It is simply useless. Maybe you should go do something "risky" today and skydive. :) ;)

Why do people assign blame or criticism whenever something major happens? A hurricane is part of nature. Almost any place along the east coast or along the gulf coast is open for storms. So, where do people go to live? I don't think it's fair to make a judgement about someone's place to live based on the fact that a disaster or event may happen.

Those in the area that an evacuation is advised, I hope you get out safely and will have a home and work to return to after the storm passes.

First time I clicked onto this thread, hoping to find folks talking about the hurricane, and all I see is bickering :(

Im watching, my cruise in a week goes to Jamaica and Cayman Islands which will be under Gustav tonight. Wondering if we will still go there, guess this isnt the place to discuss it.

First time I clicked onto this thread, hoping to find folks talking about the hurricane, and all I see is bickering :(

Im watching, my cruise in a week goes to Jamaica and Cayman Islands which will be under Gustav tonight. Wondering if we will still go there, guess this isnt the place to discuss it.

That seems to be the norm around here lately for some reason. I think everyone needs to cruise ASAP!

I was wondering the same thing, we go at the end of Sept. We were planning a day at sunset beach in Jamaica, hopefully it is okay over there. We were also doing the Atlantis Submarine in Grand Cayman, so hopefully the hurricane/tropical doesnt do anything to damage the corals and other marine life out there. If someone would know something about these places, please let us know.:confused:

It will probably be Sunday or later before reliable damage reports come in from Jamaica or The Caymans. Gustav, not being a particularly strong storm, may not (hopefully) do too much damage to the infrastructure. Good luck!

You can listen to the chaos in New Orleans: http://wwl.com Click on "Listen Live" (870 am) Garland Robinette is on right now... they are talking about evacuations: St. Charles Parish...

A friend of mine is a nervous wreck right now and wondering why I'm so calm. He said "Didn't you watch the news on WWL last night???" I said no, and that's why I'm calm and you're a mess. Geez, either we'll have to leave Sunday or we won't - makes NO sense to get all in a tizzy 2 or 3 days ahead of time. I'm not even leaving the house today or tomorrow, I'm chilling here and reading, surfing the net, playing games with the kids - it's mass hysteria out there and I want no part of it. DH was on the way to work today and called to tell me there were 15 cars in line for the oil change place at 9 AM, and gas stations have 30 cars in each line. Yes indeed, I'm hanging out at home relaxing...

A friend of mine is a nervous wreck right now and wondering why I'm so calm. He said "Didn't you watch the news on WWL last night???" I said no, and that's why I'm calm and you're a mess. Geez, either we'll have to leave Sunday or we won't - makes NO sense to get all in a tizzy 2 or 3 days ahead of time. I'm not even leaving the house today or tomorrow, I'm chilling here and reading, surfing the net, playing games with the kids - it's mass hysteria out there and I want no part of it. DH was on the way to work today and called to tell me there were 15 cars in line for the oil change place at 9 AM, and gas stations have 30 cars in each line. Yes indeed, I'm hanging out at home relaxing...

I know what you mean. It's kinda like that here, it's all everyone is talking about. I work for a school district so everyone is in prep mode right now and everyone is a weather connoisseur :) And we are not even the ones it's heading for at this point. We won't know much of anything until at least tomorrow night, early Sunday morning.....? hopefully !

From what I have gathered from National/Local news so far is that noone has a clue when/where/if Gustav will hit land. We are doing as you are, just chilling and waiting. :)

Since we have horses and facilities to keep them, we already have two families and their horses who are tentatively planning to head our way, depending on what this storm does. One family is from Lake Charles, LA. The other from Covington, LA. We are in north LA, out of harm's way. We are glad we can offer them a place to go. It's really hard to find a place where you can take your horses in a case like this, and people tend to stress more about that than their human family members.

I'm just real curious as to what they'll do about the Conquest's Sunday embarkation. The ones who are on the ship now are in good shape to get home before the hurricane hits, IF it hits there. But the ones who are waiting for info about their Sunday cruise must be kind of anxious. :confused:

It will probably be Sunday or later before reliable damage reports come in from Jamaica or The Caymans. Gustav, not being a particularly strong storm, may not (hopefully) do too much damage to the infrastructure. Good luck!

Hannah is right behind Gustav, and looking heading for Cuba and then the lne dissapears. Im thinking its going to at least affect the Caymans right behind Gustav. So my cruise isnt free and clear of hurricanes and storms. Looks like they are really totally clueless still on Hannah where it will go after it hits Cuba.

.... just put bucket of margaritas in the freezer.... we'll start getting relatives tonight... and my mother is coming tomorrow... I'll need it.

WWL: caller just said gas stations are running out of gas...

.... just put bucket of margaritas in the freezer.... we'll start getting relatives tonight... and my mother is coming tomorrow... I'll need it.

WWL: caller just said gas stations are running out of gas...

I have 3/4 a tank, that will have to do, lol, if we evacuate. I'm not kidding, I am NOT leaving the house - lol!

What's your deal breaker? Gus is getting ready to rapidly intensify and likely will be a hurricane again by 5 p.m. Also, I'm reading a LOT of "category 4" thoughts thrown around by the junkies.

If it hits near Houma, that puts NOLA on that NE quadrant... you know what that means...

I have 3/4 a tank, that will have to do, lol, if we evacuate. I'm not kidding, I am NOT leaving the house - lol!

At the moment, I am in Morgan City and some of the stations here are out of gas.:rolleyes: