Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

What's your deal breaker? Gus is getting ready to rapidly intensify and likely will be a hurricane again by 5 p.m. Also, I'm reading a LOT of "category 4" thoughts thrown around by the junkies.

If it hits near Houma, that puts NOLA on that NE quadrant... you know what that means...

If it is looking to hit 20 or so miles west of Morgan City, or further west, we're staying. I expect we'll lose power. If it's looking like it will hit further east, we've got to go, because we've 1 block from the river and it will end up, well, you know....

The retired hurricane hunter I've e-mailed with says his "gut" feeling is that the NHC track is on target http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5day and that he is worried it "could be bad" for NOLA and SE La.

Not adding to the chaos... just saying I've been watching the models for days now and they really haven't deviated from NOLA getting blasted...

The retired hurricane hunter I've e-mailed with says his "gut" feeling is that the NHC track is on target http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5day and that he is worried it "could be bad" for NOLA and SE La.

Not adding to the chaos... just saying I've been watching the models for days now and they really haven't deviated from NOLA getting blasted...

Well, the NOAA projected track just keeps moving slightly to the west each time it's updated - while the other models show something a bit different. That's why I'm waiting until Sunday. I've calmly explained to the kids that we may be leaving, and that we may not have a home to return to. I've discussed with them how all these material possessions are just things - some replaceable, some not, but we can always get new "things." I'm going to spend time tomorrow gathering important photos, documents, our checkbooks, homeschool stuff for the kids, and a few weeks' worth of clothes - that's about all that will fit in the car. And if we have to hop in the car Sunday and head out, we have family in Shreveport waiting to take us in. That being said, I'm going to stay calm and serene and not worry about it until worry is called for. I have several clinical anxiety disorders which I have worked a long time to get under control without meds, and this has been a great test of my strength and control over my mind and my reactions to something pretty major. If Greg thinks we need to add gas to the car, I will go do that when he gets home - then I'm going to stay home and enjoy my time in my house, while I'm sure I still have it :)

I'm just real curious as to what they'll do about the Conquest's Sunday embarkation. The ones who are on the ship now are in good shape to get home before the hurricane hits, IF it hits there. But the ones who are waiting for info about their Sunday cruise must be kind of anxious. :confused:

You're right, Grits. We sail (maybe) from Mobile Monday on the Fantasy. Unless we hear from Carnival before 5:00 A. M. Monday morning, we're leaving Shreveport heading to the port. We plan to take I20 to Jackson and drive down through Hattiesburg to Mobile. We should be there about noon. If the cruise is cancelled, we'll simply drive back home and schedule another. My concerns are: What about the folks that have already made arrangements to fly into N.O. and are to be shuttled to the port? Its possible the airport will close. If there is a delay of 24 hours or so, I know there won't be any hotel rooms available. Do we sleep in our car? You're right...we're kinda anxious. Maybe Gustav will slow down and allow everyone to get aboard before causing too much trouble. Kind of funny, really, hoping to go on a Caribbean Cruise to get away from a hurricane.

Well Gustav is a hurricane again.

Just wanted to let people that plan on evacuating know that our local hotels and motels here in the central Arkansas area are offering discounts for people evacuating. Most motels in south Arkansas are already booked full.

Well, the NOAA projected track just keeps moving slightly to the west each time it's updated - while the other models show something a bit different. That's why I'm waiting until Sunday. I've calmly explained to the kids that we may be leaving, and that we may not have a home to return to. I've discussed with them how all these material possessions are just things - some replaceable, some not, but we can always get new "things." I'm going to spend time tomorrow gathering important photos, documents, our checkbooks, homeschool stuff for the kids, and a few weeks' worth of clothes - that's about all that will fit in the car. And if we have to hop in the car Sunday and head out, we have family in Shreveport waiting to take us in. That being said, I'm going to stay calm and serene and not worry about it until worry is called for. I have several clinical anxiety disorders which I have worked a long time to get under control without meds, and this has been a great test of my strength and control over my mind and my reactions to something pretty major. If Greg thinks we need to add gas to the car, I will go do that when he gets home - then I'm going to stay home and enjoy my time in my house, while I'm sure I still have it :)

We wish you and all Gulf coast residents all the best. You will be in our prayers this weekend. One suggestion if I may, make sure you have enough gas in your cars to get you out of there if need be. (Remember gas stations start running out of gas fast, at least down here they do). Also, if you could gather your important stuff now and maybe place it in several boxes, already marked, that would help on Sunday if you do decide to evacuate. Again, our prayers are with you and let's hope for the best.:)

At the moment, I am in Morgan City and some of the stations here are out of gas.:rolleyes:

Same for some of the places in Lafayette, I was told. I just came back from Breaux Bridge, and it wasn't bad there when I passed.

Stay calm but stay prepared. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Also, make sure you have cash on you as well because if you lose power you use the ability to use credit cards!

If you can, take pictures of each room and the contents. I did that prior to Wilma when we were told she was going to hit as a Cat 4 or 5. I took pictures of each room and all the contents and packed it in my waterproof box. That way I would have an easier time with the insurance company if something happened.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and everyone in it's path.

Stay calm but stay prepared. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Also, make sure you have cash on you as well because if you lose power you use the ability to use credit cards!

If you can, take pictures of each room and the contents. I did that prior to Wilma when we were told she was going to hit as a Cat 4 or 5. I took pictures of each room and all the contents and packed it in my waterproof box. That way I would have an easier time with the insurance company if something happened.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and everyone in it's path.

Thanks - we took photos of everything today and put it onto our external hard drive, which we'll take with us if we leave. We also have cash on hand. We'll be watching and we'll do what we need to do. We just went out for sushi and it's DEAD everywhere. We got some batteries at Dollar Tree and a crank LED Lantern at K Mart, lol - so if we lose power, we'll have the lantern and some flashlights.

We're thinking about driving to MS Monday morning and just spending the day there, however far we need to go to get away from the weather. If all is well at home (my dad's staying home) we'll return that night - if not, we'll head on up to Shreveport. Fun, fun!

I'm not sure if this is mincing words but...I watched on TV as Katrina hit New Orleans and the wind damage was not that horrible. It was the breaking of the bad levees that ruined the place and took so many lives. Had the levee held Katrina would be all but forgotten. I'm still so angry with the local government as well as the feds for allowing the city to stay wrecked the way it is. It happened here, not in the third world, put the money in the USA when needed.

I haven't posted here in a very long time, but I must share my opinion on this. The levee break was a catastrophic event, and the basic focus of the media coverage of the tragedy. However. I lost my home to the storm and I do not live in New Orleans. Venice Louisiana was out of power for over 6 months after the storm. Cops were looting stores in St. Bernard Parish for food and supplies, while a woman representing the area screamed and cried for assistance on the radio and proclaimed people were dying everywhere. The people on the Gulf Coast were left with complete neighborhoods of cement slabs. No house, no debris, no belongings, just slabs (Wind Damage?). I stayed at home like a moron, thinking I would be okay because I didn't live in "The Fish Bowl" A.K.A. New Orleans. I was sitting in my recliner as tree after tree fell through my home... Wind Damage? I remember walking outside after the storm to evaluate the damage, and seeing people walking around like zombies picking up pieces of a life destroyed.

Sure if the levee's wouldn't of broken Katrina would of long been forgotten... By you. Never forgotten by me, or all the other people that lived in the surrounding areas that lost everything that never had their face put on a tv. I hear a lot of people's opinions and I openly accept all. I correct where I can, and acknowledge truths spoken. I only speak of it this way because I lived through it. Outside of New Orleans. I saw the tears, I saw the community come together to dig people out of destroyed homes, I saw people picking up power lines out of the street with their bare hands and cutting them with bolt cutters to clear a path. I gave to a kid standing in the middle of Covington begging for water because he hadn't had fresh clean water in three days. I do not want pity, nor hand outs, keep your compassion, I would never ask for it, but do me one favor... Try to understand that if you didn't live through it, you can never understand it.

Pt. 2: We live here and we rebuild because this is home. Some of us have lived here our whole lives. It's a state of culture, and heritage and we love it. For a lot of us it's all we know and where we have been our entire lives. Plus people like myself who work in the field of petroleum production really don't have much of a choice for job transfers...

So is my September 1st cruise out of Mobile gonna be screwed or what? :D

Mateo I think our cruise is screwed Carnival said they would make a decision tomorrow (Sat) but people from the roll call board already said their flights were canceled so lets hope some refund is offered.

I'm sure a refund will be offered, but it wont see it for a week or two more than likely. The hurricane is continuing to head West it looks like. Flights may have ben canceled but does that mean for sure the cruise wont go? :(

No it just means that if it does go the boat will be 1/2 empty.

No telling what they will do at this point...

Hey, I am from Iota, small world huh.:)

And while I live in TX, I'm from Eunice. Talked with my Mom today..she isn't evacuating just going over to my aunt brick home! However, my Dad will evacuate to my house if the storm stays headed for LA.

Me? I'll be on my cruise to the Carribean on 31 Aug out of Galveston! :D

Look at the models now. Of course these change all the time. But, it appears that once Gustav comes through LA, it will make a U-turn and come back down south, hitting TX, Galveston/Houston area?

at200807_model.gif

Well, if they still live in Iota, i am sure i know them. being iota is so huge and all:D . If you blink an eye while passing though, you miss the entire town. LOL Great place to live though, i love it here

I am assuming by your screen name that you have 2 kids named landon and mason. Maybe I should shoot her an email asking, "do you know anyone with 2 kids named...":D:D

Good luck with the storm...all but one model is know showing it will hit somewhere in the acadiana area, or still too close. I remember for Lillie I think it was, watching as Jim Canatore(sp?) was on Pinhook in Lafayette. I hope he doesn't come to acadiana. Stay safe. If I have to leave my house, I have a great friend I meet on CC many years ago that always has her house ready for me! She's like my sister I never had!

Those in the area that an evacuation is advised, I hope you get out safely and will have a home and work to return to after the storm passes.

Thank you. My parents and my brother, his wife, and his sister in law are leaving their house today for a mandatory evac, which has never been mandatory where they live until this storm. I am glad to provide shelter for them. It does make leaving my house if I feel the need to leave a harder decision though then if it were only my son and myself to worry about. My husband has to stay behind to go to work, in fact, probably by tomorrow he will be called back to work and then he is usually required to stay with his employees. That makes me be an independent person, not having my husband to really on. Luckily, I will go to my CC friend if I think I need to leave Lafayette.

And, my BIL and his wife are getting some action - they are visiting from washinton dc and fly our monday morning.

Selcurey, I know you live in Houma, and areas below that have been ordered to evac. Hope you are safe also. I pass through Houma when I go visit my parents, and meet up with them there sometimes to have lunch. Good luck!

At the moment, I am in Morgan City and some of the stations here are out of gas.:rolleyes:

Good luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know how you make out.

I hate this time of year.....

I'm going to make a COSTCO run soon as we are going to have a house full of evacuees very soon. The countraflow lanes are going in force along the coast.

And while I live in TX, I'm from Eunice. Talked with my Mom today..she isn't evacuating just going over to my aunt brick home! However, my Dad will evacuate to my house if the storm stays headed for LA.

Me? I'll be on my cruise to the Carribean on 31 Aug out of Galveston! :D

We are not leaving either. My dad owns a company in Lafayette and Crowley, so he will be going there right after to make sure everything is okay. My kids, husband and I will all be going to my parent's brick house till it is over. I cant see myself leaving and not knowing what i have left. LOL. we have waited out all the others as far as i can remmeber. Good luck to everyone around here!

I am assuming by your screen name that you have 2 kids named landon and mason. Maybe I should shoot her an email asking, "do you know anyone with 2 kids named...":D:D

Good luck with the storm...all but one model is know showing it will hit somewhere in the acadiana area, or still too close. I remember for Lillie I think it was, watching as Jim Canatore(sp?) was on Pinhook in Lafayette. I hope he doesn't come to acadiana. Stay safe. If I have to leave my house, I have a great friend I meet on CC many years ago that always has her house ready for me! She's like my sister I never had!

Yes, that are the names of my boys, ages 4 and 2.

I think you are right about Jim. I am pretty sure he was somewhere in Lafayette. Like i said we are planning to wait it out, hopefully it will down grade before it actually makes landfall, good luck to yall

Yes, that are the names of my boys, ages 4 and 2.

I think you are right about Jim. I am pretty sure he was somewhere in Lafayette. Like i said we are planning to wait it out, hopefully it will down grade before it actually makes landfall, good luck to yall

thanks. I usually live my house for two reasons:

1. tree damage - my neighbors have these three trees that are huge and if one of them fall, I hope it is not on my house! The trees are so tall they could wipe out most of my house if they fall in my direction. The other neighbor also worries that if the other tress on that same property fall, they would fall on his house. (after hurricane andrew, he cut down one oak tree that he watched and prayed it would not fall on my house).

2. My husband works for a helicopter company and he is always at work for a hurricane. Like now, he is on his days off, but still thinking that by tomorrow morning, he will have to be at the base. that means I cannot count on his help.

For these two reasons, my son and I usually leave if it looks like it is coming here.

I remember for Lillie, I was in Shreveport and on the phone with a friend that was still in town, when her kids started screaming, because a huge tree just fell down in their driveway. At least it wasnt on their house.

Anyway, good luck! If my neighbor ever cuts those trees down, I would stay, but until they are cut, I do think about whether or not to leave.