Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

All of you in the path of this storm are in my thoughts and prayers.

For those of you taking in evacuees......kudos to you! You're doing a wonderful thing!

I used to live in Gulfport and have a love for the gulf coast but just can't fathom living there anymore!

Stay safe!

Jennifer

My parents are still in NOLA farting around. We'll likely get Cat 2 force here. The problem is storm surge-- that's what does the most damage and kills people. We don't have a storm surge issue here.

For Lily, we did evacuate to DH's work, but that was because he had to work that day. A tree fell on my power supply and we were out of power for 4 days.

Now all the trees around the house are gone, we have an 8,000 watt generator, 2 window units for this reason, etc. I'm sure it will be frightening-- no one can predict tornadoes.....

(and I have satellite internet, so my connection has been unbearably slow.. makes me wonder if it is because of atmospheric changes, etc...)

For Lily and for and Rita we were out of electricity for a week min. I remember for Lily, that was my first semester of college, i had to go back to school and we still had no electricity, and being so far out in the country we only had well water, no town water. Wells run on electricity,LOL, so we bathed with gallon water jugs. it was such a pain, Rita we were better prepared, stored water in my moms camper holding tank. My baby was just a year old at the time so we ended up buying an window unit and a generator and that is what we used to keep him cool. This year we have a camper, so as long as it makes it through the hurricane we will run that on the generator and hopefully stay pretty comfortable. LOL I just finished filling the holding tank with fresh water. As far as storm surge, i luckily live far enough inland that i do not have to worry bout that part.

Just hit the grocery store before it closes, we're under mandatory evacuation here in Belle Chasse as of noon today. We have everything we need for now, so we're going to stay home, keep our eye on the news, and make a decision Sunday night about what to do. Hoping most everyone is gone by then so we don't sit in traffic for 16 hours like last time... Well, HOPING we don't have to go at all, but who knows at this point!

My parents are still in NOLA farting around. We'll likely get Cat 2 force here. The problem is storm surge-- that's what does the most damage and kills people. We don't have a storm surge issue here.

For Lily, we did evacuate to DH's work, but that was because he had to work that day. A tree fell on my power supply and we were out of power for 4 days.

Now all the trees around the house are gone, we have an 8,000 watt generator, 2 window units for this reason, etc. I'm sure it will be frightening-- no one can predict tornadoes.....

(and I have satellite internet, so my connection has been unbearably slow.. makes me wonder if it is because of atmospheric changes, etc...)

Well, you seem to be set up! I am sure you did like we did and got the generator running yesterday, checked oil and gas, etc.

If my husband was able to stay at the main base here in town, I would gladly stay there! No trees that can fall on the building. In the past when I left my house and returned, there was no power. I do feel like I am set up for no electricity this time; we will go in my RV and have the comforts of home, thanks to that generator. I also have another generator to run the freezer, frig. etc. I also have two rooms with window units we could stay in, but, I believe I would prefer to stay in the Motor home.

Stay safe everyone.

Rowan, where are you going to go if you do leave? What is your plan?

The bloggers who are in touch with the hurricane hunters (on mission just now) say it's a category 4 now. That means 15-20 ft. storm surge for the NOLA area.

Dr. Masters says this is similar to Betsy in 1965, which overtopped the levees in NOLA.

The westbank is very vulnerable with this track west of New Orleans.

EL, the DH is outside right now running the generator and double checking everything.

HH just found cat four winds at 943mb

The only good thing is right before US land fall Gustav should go through a area of colder water and the shear will increase. Maybe it will knock its power down some.

The bloggers who are in touch with the hurricane hunters (on mission just now) say it's a category 4 now. That means 15-20 ft. storm surge for the NOLA area.

Dr. Masters says this is similar to Betsy in 1965, which overtopped the levees in NOLA.

The westbank is very vulnerable with this track west of New Orleans.

EL, the DH is outside right now running the generator and double checking everything.

A gust was measured 162 mph, I think a lot of us are glued to the weather channel right now. Im cruising in a week, so watching Hanna too.

A gust was measured 162 mph, I think a lot of us are glued to the weather channel right now. Im cruising in a week, so watching Hanna too.

Makes me glad my cruise was two weeks ago

Carnival Legend is certainly going to have to navigate some serious chop.

Today's DOD might as well be Bonine.

Carnival Legend is certainly going to have to navigate some serious chop.

Today's DOD might as well be Bonine.

Thats the truth Don. For the first time I'm glad i'm not going on a cruise. It sure don't look pretty out there I bet

Greg has family in Shreveport, so we'll be leaving and heading up there if it looks like storm surge/wind will be an issue here. I think we'll know a LOT more by Sunday evening. Plan as of this moment is to leave Monday by 4 AM to beat the bad weather. I don't mind rain and a little wind, but obviously we want to outrun the worst of it. If the track looks really dire, we'll leave Sunday night around 7.

Since the storm hasn't even entered the Gulf yet, we just see no need whatsoever to leave now "just in case" it does indeed hit here. We have plenty of time to go, and a place to stay, so we're all set.

Well, we cruise on her tomorrow and we're looking forward to some rough stuff at first, but we should have some decent weather between the hurricanes. :eek:

Dont forget our brothers and sisters living in the gulf area... My heart goes out to them... I hope they are prepared this time around... :(

I leave on the Liberty next Saturday, so I do hope that Hanna has cleared out and Ike doesn't come barrelling through......I will have to slap my own hand for wanting to cruise during hurricane season. I hope we can stick to the exotic eastern route and not have to be shifted West. I know they will do what is best if a storm is in the area....I just hope I can still get my day at the beach at Half Moon Cay...

Greg has family in Shreveport, so we'll be leaving and heading up there if it looks like storm surge/wind will be an issue here. I think we'll know a LOT more by Sunday evening. Plan as of this moment is to leave Monday by 4 AM to beat the bad weather. I don't mind rain and a little wind, but obviously we want to outrun the worst of it. If the track looks really dire, we'll leave Sunday night around 7.

Since the storm hasn't even entered the Gulf yet, we just see no need whatsoever to leave now "just in case" it does indeed hit here. We have plenty of time to go, and a place to stay, so we're all set.

If you do have to leave, I wish you the best of luck getting out in time and not stuck in the weather. My FIL just called and he had to go into New Orleans for work. Trying to get out is working well right now. He said in the past hour, he only has gone 2 miles. He is stuck in the traffic of everyone trying to get out already. :eek:

If you do have to leave, I wish you the best of luck getting out in time and not stuck in the weather. My FIL just called and he had to go into New Orleans for work. Trying to get out is working well right now. He said in the past hour, he only has gone 2 miles. He is stuck in the traffic of everyone trying to get out already. :eek:

That's why we're waiting to leave tomorrow - by then most people will have already left. We'll also know a lot better by tomorrow evening what the actual storm track will be, and we can make a more informed decision about going.

Please be safe guys!!!!!!!!!!! and if you can check in often!!

I have friends in St Francisville... and they are on their way north....

Found this on the blogs:

Rowan, just remember that the point of landfall is the EYE (30 miles wide right now). Gustav has blown up into a monster. Miami is getting pelted right now.

ETA: DirecTV has a Gustav Channel: 363

That's why we're waiting to leave tomorrow - by then most people will have already left. We'll also know a lot better by tomorrow evening what the actual storm track will be, and we can make a more informed decision about going.

If I were you, I'd consider leaving right now. Everyone will be on the road tomorrow with landfall projected for Monday afternoon. Your weather will start to deteriorate tomorrow evening.