Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

If I were you, I'd consider leaving right now. Everyone will be on the road tomorrow with landfall projected for Monday afternoon. Your weather will start to deteriorate tomorrow evening.

Too late, the roads are packed right now - we're going to probably leave around 4 tomorrow, as at 6 they're blocking both exits to our city with cement roadblocks - no one in or out. DOH!

Too late, the roads are packed right now - we're going to probably leave around 4 tomorrow, as at 6 they're blocking both exits to our city with cement roadblocks - no one in or out. DOH!

Rowan, tomorrow hopefully will be better for you. Right now the roads are packed! I have a friend who left her home on St. Charles near Fourcher a couple of hours ago and she can still see the Dome. :rolleyes:

We plan to leave as soon as our curfew is lifted in the AM. I think around six. We found rooms in Montgomery.

Rowan, tomorrow hopefully will be better for you. Right now the roads are packed! I have a friend who left her home on St. Charles near Fourcher a couple of hours ago and she can still see the Dome. :rolleyes:

We plan to leave as soon as our curfew is lifted in the AM. I think around six. We found rooms in Montgomery.

Good luck to you guys - I don't know if it's a mistake, but instead of leaving super early, we're going to leave at the end of the day, hoping MOST people are gone by then. Who knows, this whole thing is one giant crap shoot. I begged Greg to do a last minute Holiday cruise today, but he said no way - so here we are. Take care.

My parents are leaving tomorrow at 8 am. I hope they don't have too much traffic.

I think 8 AM is going to be BAD - you might want to encourage them to leave at 6 or so. That's why we're waiting - we have to secure some belongings and don't have the time to do it and get out of here really early, so we're hoping to go at the tail end of the evacuations.

Hope all of you who are cruising this week, and/or haved cruised during the hurricane season have/had a great/safe cruise. :D

Fantasy out of Mobile on Sept. 1 has been shortened to a 4 day, leaving on Wed. and returning on Sunday. I hate that the cruise was shortened, but am glad to have the final word. I feel much better about it than I did about trying to get to Mobile in all of this, as well as leaving my children in north Louisiana at a time like this!!!

Thinking of everyone in harm's way!!

My parents just got here: took them 6 hours instead of 3. That's actually not bad compared to Katrina where it took people 11-13 hours to get here.

My parents just got here: took them 6 hours instead of 3. That's actually not bad compared to Katrina where it took people 11-13 hours to get here.

Glad to hear it! Are you far enough away?

Be safe;)

I can't believe how many people are on the streets of New Orleans behind the Weather Channel reporter this evening...

We made it to Shreveport - waiting until today was the right thing to do - everyone was traveling east and we got out of town in record time. Took about 45 minutes longer than usual due to some traffic b/t Opelousas and Alexandria, but compared to the extra 10 hours it took for Katrina, we were thrilled. Sounds like the storm is weakening and won't be as bad for our area as everyone feared - keep us in your thoughts - we have many friends that thought they were losing their home with this one, but we might all be spared.

We made it to Shreveport - waiting until today was the right thing to do - everyone was traveling east and we got out of town in record time. Took about 45 minutes longer than usual due to some traffic b/t Opelousas and Alexandria, but compared to the extra 10 hours it took for Katrina, we were thrilled. Sounds like the storm is weakening and won't be as bad for our area as everyone feared - keep us in your thoughts - we have many friends that thought they were losing their home with this one, but we might all be spared.

Yay!!! Glad you made it out of town and hopefully everyone will be spared the worst.

Stay safe and keep us posted!

Trock, we'll be fine; no worries of storm surge. I'm near the geographical center of Louisiana. We are supposed to get the worst of it early Tuesday morning at the latest.

We've already had a shower... nothing much. It's a little breezy...

So glad to hear you got out safe!! Praying for you and your friends though!!

I just wanted to take a moment while we still have power to say thank you to everyone who has sent out prayers to those of us experiencing Hurricane Gustav today.

The weather quickly started to deteriorate over night and by 7:00am the storm surge had already broken over the highways and was steadily inching it's way to our house.

We got 7 ft. of water in our house during Hurricane Katrina and I assure you everyone who lives on the gulf coast of Ala, Ms. and LA. cannot mentally take another total devastation so close to the last one. We all have lived in h*** these last few years trying to get our lives back.

Anyway, we are still experiencing alot of rain and tornados but the water has started to recede and we have none in our home. The federal and local government has done an outstanding..surprise, surprise, job. Please continue to pray for us and those in LA. and western MS. Thanks again!

I just wanted to take a moment while we still have power to say thank you to everyone who has sent out prayers to those of us experiencing Hurricane Gustav today.

The weather quickly started to deteriorate over night and by 7:00am the storm surge had already broken over the highways and was steadily inching it's way to our house.

We got 7 ft. of water in our house during Hurricane Katrina and I assure you everyone who lives on the gulf coast of Ala, Ms. and LA. cannot mentally take another total devastation so close to the last one. We all have lived in h*** these last few years trying to get our lives back.

Anyway, we are still experiencing alot of rain and tornados but the water has started to recede and we have none in our home. The federal and local government has done an outstanding..surprise, surprise, job. Please continue to pray for us and those in LA. and western MS. Thanks again!

My heart goes out to you and those who are going through another devastating storm. Please keep us updated as we continue worry about you during this difficult time.

At the moment, I am in Morgan City and some of the stations here are out of gas.:rolleyes:

selucrey, please let us know how you made out since your area since to have been hard hit. I hope you left town and return home to find your house completely intact.

We're thinking of all of you who were in the path of Gustav and wishing you all luck as you make your way home.