Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Gustav

selucrey, please let us know how you made out since your area since to have been hard hit. I hope you left town and return home to find your house completely intact.

We're thinking of all of you who were in the path of Gustav and wishing you all luck as you make your way home.

We are fine. Most of my extended family and several friends are currently in Montgomery,Alabama. It appears that it may be several days before we are allowed to return to Houma and up to a couple of weeks before we have power. I have recieved a couple of damage reports and besides needing a roof, there is very little damage. My Brother who lives behind me has a tree through his roof and several neighbors have minor damage.It was odd but throughout the storm we were watching a streaming video broadcast by a Stormchaser who was located a few hundred yards from my house. Some in our group have Federal and State passes to return and will do so tomorrow so we can all get updates on our properties. All of us are Ok and together and that is what is important. Thanks for the well-wishes!

selucrey, blesssings to you and your family. Keep safe during the clean up!

Hey, peoples! We still have no power from Gustav!!! (I'm in semi-rural Louisiana near Alexandria) and we've been working on an 8000 watt generator. We haven't hooked up the computers until just now because we've had gas concerns and now it looks like we'll be able to get gas as needed, so we're powering up more. We were running on a 2 hour on/off cycle. I'm hearing we won't get power until Tuesday. (We had been hearing Saturday). Aside from my frizzy hair (now a full blown fro... channeling Glenn Close a la Fatal Attraction)... we're doing fine really. My hair is predicting more rain, however. I'll try to upload pictures later; my Aunt saw a funnel cloud form on my street but it didn't touch down and then went back up.

I guess this means I'm not addicted to the internet, lol, since I was able to go 4 days without it! (or does that mean the opposite... that I could only make 4 days...)

spleenstomper, good luck on the power. Sorry we had to take back all our linemen we sent down there as lots of people lost power here too when Gustav came to visit and stayed.

Sorry about the hair too. I've at least had power so could operate my hair dryer but my hair has revolted against all my efforts to tame it.

Inspiration 5-day sailing departed Tampa Aug 30th and the first two days, Sat & Sun were something else!

We left Tampa and the weather only got progressively worse. We basically hovered off the coast of Tampa until Monday morning and the seas were rocking & rolling.

I would say 85% of the ship was sick and no one could walk in a straight line.

The Capt and crew did a great job keeping us safe and informed. It created different cruise memories for sure.

Once the storm passed we had sunny skies the remainder of the cruise.

We missed one port completely and in exchange got a $25 on board credit on our sign and sail, that represented the port taxes and fees for the missed port.

I had a great cruise and luckily I did not get sick, took my ginger root and wore my sea bands. It was great sleeping weather!

We did feel a little "alone" because the news was covering NO and the storm going ashore and never once mentioned any ships at sea.

It is one of the chances you take when you cruise during hurricane season. I'm doing it again Sept 28th on Legend.

I have photos of the storm, just click on the link in my signature. The two I took from the cabin window show some of it but not in full vision.

Susan

My friend and I were also on the Aug. 30 sailing of the Inspiration out of Tampa. For the first two days we basically sat off the coast of Florida near the Panhandle, as we went north to avoid the storm. It was rocky, but I think the previous poster's estimate of 85% of the ship being sick is a little exaggerated. I only *saw* one person get sick, and my friend and I were fine with a little Dramamine!

I was sad about missing Grand Cayman, but other than that the cruise was great, even in the bad weather! The only problem I had was that I thought Carnival should have sent an e-mail out to say "hey, we know you're concerned about the hurricane, but the cruise is still on and you're going to have a great, safe time." I think they need to communicate better beforehand, especially for people who are traveling via plane to get to the ship. I have more about this and my experience on my blog! :) http://www.unboundedition.com/content/view/7905/50/