Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

megr1125

JUST BACK from AOS 10/17

Not home yet, so I haven't worked on a review....but if you have any ???s I can try and answer them.

I have all the compasses and kind of remember parts of the menus....(thank god for palm pilots).

I will try and check this a couple times a day for the next few days.....

Hi Meg, were you on the Aruba route? If so could you please post the cruise compass, As we are on the AOS and this route for Nov.14th...... Thanks.... or send it to me via my e-mail at jagmanss@aol.com

Hey Meg!

I too am on the AOS 14 November and am travelling with that WHACK JOB JAGMASS! LOL!! Can you shed some lite on your experience and alleive some of our fears about the baggage strike etc? How was the food? Where was your cabin? ANything woud be great! Looking forward to your review!

WOO HOO!! 21 DAYS TO GO!:D

Bobby

Ok..first, I have no clue how to post the compasses plus I am not home.....yet. So when I figure out how, I guess I can email them. But if you have >???s let me know.

I have no clue about any baggage strike. There were loads of porters and $5 bucks got our bags onto the ship.

My cabin was a Jr Suite on deck 9 at the back of the hump. GET OUT OF MY CABIN!!!!! IT IS MINE!!!! I WILL NOT SHARE!!!! And I will not share my cabin attendant! (Uh, I hated it as you can tell...hee hee hee!!!!) Well worht the price...I spent 1st day at sea sick as a dog (not boatsick...my doc made me get a flu shot before I left...I have asthma and my mom is in the high risk category........so I was legit....really I didn't want it. ) I napped on the balcony all day.

The food was above average to excellent,. and EVERYWHERE. The food on the buffet could be hotter, as could the stuff in the dining room. If you can't find something good to eat on the ship, I will smack you!!!!

The service was GREAT!! We tipped a couple bucks in Windjammer when the servers we helping. Many of them carried plates, got drinks etc. Only 2 were kind of clueless. But EVERYONE was delightful.

Let's see...what else. Hmm...breakfast in the dining room is better than the buffet, because there are no lines.

Yes there will be some rude people.......just try to ingore them. We (my Sr.Cit mom and I) enjoyed the whole thing more than we thought...especially since it was a surprise for her and lets say that I am a bit of a procrastinator when it comes to telling her of vacation plans...I gave her a whopping 3 days to get ready.......yes I am crazy. We just didn't like San Juan too much.

Here is a hint....if you are vetern cruisers or not, just don't form any opinions till you get there. If you decide you won't like something, you won't.

I will cruise again someplace...and Royal was a nice line, but I will avoid the port of embarkation if possible.

We took a ship tour of the Island in St. Martin, a tour from someone on the pier in Curacao (but it was mostly conducted in Spanish) and diddled around in Aruba & St. Thomas.

I brought 1 bottle of champgane aboard with no problem and they didn't take my booze in Curacao but they did in St. Martin.

One of our table mates got confused with the wine...they didn't realize there was a wine list in the DR (they were virgin cruisers too!) so they ordered one from another outlet. (They only saw the selection on the menu that night.)

The bar person wanted to charge the 12 bucks...to open wine they bought ON THE SHIP! Hmm....well short story long..they looked at the wine list, ordered another one of the same thing, and took the 1st one to the cabin and drank it there. Go figure. (PS...I a not a big wine conisseur (sp) but it looked like a decent selection, priced from $20 to about $40. Not bad.

Let me know if any more ???s....feel free to email me at

taxmeg@cs.com

but give me a chance to check....I am in an internet cafe by the Wyndham OSJ so I will check back later.

And that hotel is yet another story.........

later

Hi Meg!

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey what pier did the AOS depart from in San Juan? I have been there before with the Carnival Destiny and my group and I were wondering if it were the same pier or different. IS there still a small store on the peir for buying soda and stuff?

THanks

Bobby

Bobby, And stuff? How about BOOZE, Liquor:D LOL....... Thanks Meg for all the info and feedback, And the answer to my question as well if you know of a duty free shop at this pier...... Thanks

Hello,

I'm new to the boards.

I also cruised the AOS from San Juan last week and loved it!!

I had so much fun, although there was a lot I missed out on. I hated to come home:( . I especailly enjoyed the friendships I made with the staff. Does any one know if there is a way to keep in contact with them? I didn't even get a chance to ask. Even though they do give everyone they come in contact with the same good service I felt that our waiter and assisst. waiter bonded with us well because they hung out with us, played and laughed and talked.

Like I said it was great. Can't wait to do it again next year.

I will cruise again someplace...and Royal was a nice line, but I will avoid the port of embarkation if possible.

I am thinking about doing Adventure's Aruba route. Could you elaborate on why you try to avoid the port of embarkation?

Oceanboy

I too am from RI and will be on the AOS next week Aruba route will do complete review when I return. This will be my 14th cruise and 5th on RCI will try to post ASAP when we return

Also will let you know if too much of a hassle to fly Prov...we tried to do direct from Boston but it did not work out

Thanks very much! I have started looking at flight schedules. Nothing is all that appealing out of Boston or Providence that I have seen so far. Jet Blue from JFK looks great but getting to JFK is another matter completely!

So far I have cruised out of NYC, Miami, and Port Canaveral. All of those were pretty easy as far as flights. Ultimately, cruising out of Port Everglades would be the easiest but I can get neither a Voyager class ship nor a stop in Aruba from there.

I am really looking forward to your review and any advice.

Sounds like you had fun, I just need to know who cool was it on the deck at night? Was it chilly enough to need a jacket? Thanks , Robin

Robin, we just got back from the 10/10 aos sailing and although my wife and I both brought sweats shirts and light jackets,they stayed in the room the entire time. If was never below 75ish even at night wheil cruising. It was actually always cooler in the ship then it was outside.

Hoog

Hey, Rhode Island neighbors -- i'm from massachusetts -- and leaving out of boston direct on the 13th , for the adventure on the 14th..... We've got a group of 6 going from here,, 4 from jersey, and of course the "martian madness group" we've met on line !

Sandy

My husband and I will be sailing on the AOS on the Dec 5th. Wondering what you meant about avoiding the point of embarkment?

-What were the problems that you encountered?

-What time did you arrive at the peir, how long was the line and what time did you end up on board?

-How was the mix of people on board?

-Any problems with chair hogs?

Thanks, Heidi

SORRY GANG...I got home late wednesday and had to go to work Thurs...this is the first chance I am getting.

You board at the Pan American Pier...NOT where the destiny is. The PA Pier is on the other side of the little harbor-thing by Ols San Juan.

I am sure I will get flamed...but 23% of the people on the ship were from PR. The only rude people on the ship spoke spanish as their native language. That is the problem.

That being said.......boarding wasn't bad. We got there at 11:30. The ship was cleared and ready to go by 1:15ish. We were in the cabin and up to Windjammer by 1:45.

Most of the announcements at the pier were in SPanish. Only about 1/2 of them were translated. Getting off was rough. We stayed in SJ a few days thus we were the last to get off. Again, announcements on the ship were at this point, mainly in Spanish and only about 1/2 were translated. From the time we got out of our seats to get through customs to a porter and into a cab was 1 hour.

Now, let's see...my SeaPass was about 200 for the 2 of us (mom and me) plus the 160ish for tips. We had maybe 1 drink a day (I thought they were reasonable....4-7 buxks for a normal glass), a bottle of wine, 1 excursion in St. Martin, 4 or 5 photos (no formal ones, couldn't be bothered with all the lines!!), a frame thing for our "guesting" picture, a magnet and a couple other things. Probably spent another 400 or so on other misc. stuff in port, a couple meals in SJ for the days before and after the cruise, cabs (they are ridiculous in SJ-I think they are cheaper in NYC!-just MHO)

We were not cold on deck-it was warm! But bring a sweater, some people were chilly in the DRs...not me, I am almost always hot!

Hmm....didn't see a Duty free at the pier...there is really nothing around. I would buy stuff at the airport if you want to smuggle...Bacardi was 6.95!!!

I brought home 6 bottles....if it wasn't so heavy I would have come home with a few more.

We flew out of JFK. If you can put up with the B#^@H of the ride that it is, the airport (at least where American is concerned) wasn't bad. 45 minutes (or less) from drop-off to the cafe by security for breakfast! !0 minutes thru security. We flew on a Friday at noon, but got there by 9. I didn't want to risk traffic so we took an airport shuttle from central jersey at 5:30AM. Long day, but minimal lines.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the ship and there are nasty people everywhere, but my mom and I really noticed that the "Locals" were obnoxious! Sorry...but when it came to butting in line and the like, the people doing this were not speaking English. Incidentally, a friend of mine from work took the opposite route in the middle of September and she didn't notice any of this stuff so maybe it was just our dumb luck. My mom rarely complains and she humored me by going on a cruise with 3 days notice. The ONLY thing that annoyed her were the people from the area. The only thing she didn't like on the ship was the slight smoky smell in the cabin (which went away) and the temperature of the food...it could have been hotter.

Again, if there are questions please email me...I will work on the review and will try to post pix someplace, but THAT is gonna be tough, I have no clue. If anyone can help, shoot me an email........I have all on CDs, excect the digitals which I have to take to Target.